Intro and Omega Question

judasthegoat

Intro and Omega Question
« on: 12 Nov 2022, 05:10 pm »
Hi All,

First post, here.

I'm aiming to purchase some Omega loudspeakers within the next couple months to be paired with a Rega Brio3 amp (in the short term) and then ultimately a Decware Zen UFO2 (at some point in the next 18 months). I'm wondering which speakers would be ideal for me.

I mostly listen to Jazz, 60s and 70s rock, soul, classical, acoustic music, some modern stuff, as well. 98% of my listening is vinyl, via a Rega P3 w/ Hana EH and Darlington Labs MP7 phono pre. I currently have a pair of Epos M12.2 bookshelf speakers on stands. I've loved them but they're only 86db and I'm hungry for an upgrade.

My current listening room is a mid-sized living room, about (16" x 18") but I'll likely be moving soon so a versatile speakeer is preferred. I prefer near-field, focused listening but I occasionally like to turn it up a bit and have the music fill the room while I move around the house.

I've been leaning toward the Super Alnico High Output Monitors, as I like the way they look and they seem like they would deliver the best of what Omega has to offer. I'm open to spending more on the XRS towers but I wonder if the monitors would give me what I need...and I can always add a sub at a later date. Am I missing out on the "XRS" with the SAM HOs?

Any insights would be appreciated! I'm particularly interested in the sonic differences between the speakers.

Thanks!

Kray

Re: Intro and Omega Question
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2022, 03:45 am »
Personally based on the music you listen to I’d recommend the RS8 driver vs Alnico.

I feel the RS8 does better with rock and more modern music. Alnico is sweetest with jazz, folk, acoustic. But the RS8 still sounds very good with those as well.

Louis can make either in the 1.5 way high output setup. The dual setup works better for classical, and faster music, like electronic, rock etc.

The RS8 is also more efficient than the Alnico. 98 vs 94.5db

Here a sample of the single XRS RS8
https://omegaloudspeakers.com/products/junior-8xrs

judasthegoat

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2022, 05:25 pm »
Thanks Kray!

I spoke with Louis over the phone and gave him a rundown of my listening preferences and musical tastes and he recommended a single driver alnico, either SAM or the Jr. Alnico XRS Tower (that's not currently on his website but is on instagram). Based on recent changes/tuning, he seemed pretty adamant that the alnico was for me.

So, I think I'll be moving forward with the XRS towers, which are quite striking, IMO. Just gotta figure out which finish I want!  :D

Kray

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2022, 01:14 am »
there you go! always best to talk to the Patron himself  :thumb: