Port Plug when using a subwoofer with Alnico junior XRS towers

Fed

I now have a pair of Alnico junior XRS towers (6”), and love them! I’ve broken them in with over 200 hours of use.  As expected, the bass is a little lacking, so I got a DeepHemp 8.  I am finding bass nodes in the room (at around 60-70Hz), and cannot change speaker positions, so I am thinking of plugging the ports on the towers and then increasing the crossover frequency on the sub. Does anyone have experience with doing that?  I am using socks right now, and it seems to help.

I spoke to Louis about it, and he said it wouldn’t cause any harm to the speakers to do that.

Also, any other suggestions?

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
It's what I do with SAM-HO's.  It tighens up the bass nicely while reducing the output a bit.  Subs more than make up for that.  Louis has endorsed the approach.  I have posts here, maybe in my main thread, about doing this + photos.  I use an oversized tennis ball that is a dog toy from Pet Smart.   But it may be that your ports are not the same size. 

DannyBadorine

This is certainly worth a try.  I highly prefer sealed enclosures (including subwoofers).  It just takes more power to drive them.  The idea is to stop any air flow at all from the port.  I think the socks will still allow some flow and this could be inconsistent from one speaker to the other and that will make them sound different from each other.  I would try to use some kind of material that can really seal them completely.  I'm not really sure what that would be but do your best to seal each side the same.

Fed

It's what I do with SAM-HO's.  It tighens up the bass nicely while reducing the output a bit.  Subs more than make up for that.  Louis has endorsed the approach.  I have posts here, maybe in my main thread, about doing this + photos.  I use an oversized tennis ball that is a dog toy from Pet Smart.   But it may be that your ports are not the same size. 

I found some of these balls.  I needed to put it in a sock to fit the port snuggly.  Sounds pretty good.  Thanks.

About your speakers, I see an extra plug other than power and speaker inputs. Do you have a sub output from the speaker?

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Sorry for the very late reply!  I somehow had missed this.

I have Omega SAM HO's over Rythmik 8" powered woofers in cabinet built by Louis to match (even grain matched) the SAMs.

The woofers have low level, stereo input from the preamp and a power cord.  That's all.  You are probably seeing some cable overlap that makes it more difficult to tease out.

Here's a better photo to see the cabling:

doggie

I have owned two pairs of Omega towers and used a pair of subs with both. I found that plugging the ports improved clarity/coherence.