New member from the Philly burbs

likat

New member from the Philly burbs
« on: 14 Jul 2022, 04:38 pm »
Hi All!

Welcomed a beautiful new pair of SAMs into my home!  Louis was a wonderful gentleman to work with.  Crafted a beautiful set of Blond Walnut SAMs for me. I now await Noel Nolan's (another wonderful individual to talk to) Skylan stands. Very excited.

Wanted to thank everyone for all of the great info on this board.  You guys have also helped to tamper any of the anxieties that go into a new stage on the audio journey.  Truthfully, my prior speakers were doing great.  No complaints.  Took a bit to get there but really good.  So why mess with a good thing?  For many reasons but mainly I found over time that I was captivated by the tube sound.  So after all of the good things I've heard about Louis and his fine speakers, this seemed like a good next step in my exploration of this part of the universe.  Even out of the box there was something that grabbed my attention right away. There was a certain detailed layering of the music in a big soundstage that I found mesmerizing. 

Is it indeed true that these take many hours to open up and that the sound will continue to open up?  Does anyone here have experience pairing their SAMs with a sub?

FWIW, I am roughly #1524 on the decware waitlist but am really enjoying the Aric audio unlimited pre and super KT88 amp with the Omegas. 

Looking forward to hearing about all of the experiences and the tid bits of collected wisdom.

likat

Blackmore

Re: New member from the Philly burbs
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2022, 07:05 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

FireGuy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2022, 01:15 am »
Hello and welcome.  I took the Louis Chochos' Omega plunge with his Super 5's with the wonderfully engineered RS5 driver some years back.  Transparency, staging, smoothness, pin point imaging and a forwardness just this side of neutral are some of the qualities I enjoy daily.   Partnered with a Musical Paradise MP3 MK2 SET and Denon pre.  Wonderful presentation.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2022, 01:26 am »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2022, 04:52 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC likat   :thumb:

likat

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2022, 08:35 pm »
Thanks folks!

I'll be damned... these speaker do indeed seem to become richer and less thin as I play them. And here I ordered a sub to help flesh the omega out a bit.

likat

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2022, 05:03 pm »
So no kidding... I did get a sub.  An SVS 3000 micro to be exact.  Super easy to integrate.  Have the low pass at about 50.  More importantly I really like the sound.  Fills out the bottom end.  Just gives a fullness to music and helps the SAMs play well across a lot of genres.  Really makes me feel like there's nothing the SAMs can't do.  From chamber music to EDM to rock.  It's crazy.  Music literally surrounds me.  My 16 year old son has pointed out that the instruments are located in the room rather than coming from the speaker.

All this has me thinking... would the deep hemp sub be an even better choice?  Louis seems to be both an artist and a genius. I'm getting the sneaky suspicion that his sub was created to work particularly well with his speakers.

Would welcome any thought.

Thanks!

dB_Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2022, 12:54 pm »
I've not regretted getting a matching sub with my Junior XRS. Sealed sub with a very quick 8" hemp cone, it's made for a very seamless integration.

jmolsberg

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2022, 11:03 pm »
those look great! nice amp too!