Future owner needs advices

GBouillon

Future owner needs advices
« on: 27 Mar 2017, 02:50 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of changing my hifi system. I owned a Simaudio Moon ACE integrated with Dynaudio's X14 bookshelf than Focal Aria 926 towers. Didn't like the ACE (too bright, not much details and dynamics at low volume level) so I changed it for a Nuprime DAC-10H/ST-10 combo. Didn't like it either (way too bright, sound balance was off with complex jazz or rock music). I tried amps from Naim (SuperNait2), Rega (Elicit-R), Luxman (L-507ux), Simaudio (340i), Yamaha (AS-2100) and Devialet 120 and 200. The only one that gave me a piece of what I wanted was the Devialet 200. But those amplifiers a way too expensive for what they give and are very annoying to use. The Lux and the Yam were good too. But I still wasn't in love. My faith in solid state was compromise at that point.

So last week, I went to Montreal to have a listen to a couple of tube amplifiers (my local dealer doesn't have any). The dealer that I went to had a pair of Omega SAM hooked up to a Unison Research Simply Italy amplifier and a MDHT Stockholm dac. That was it. Right there. The kind of sound that I was looking for. When he told me the combined price of the system, I was even more amazed. I then had a listen to the Super Alnico HO XRS and it was audio bliss again. Then he switched the Unison for a Leben CS-300XS and wow. Just wow. The dealer didn't have all of his demo amplifiers and speakers in stock so I have to go back on Easter weekend. I will come back with a tube amplifier and Omega speakers for sure. I sold all of my other stuff.

I will listen to a Unison Research Triode 25 (EL34, 45-22 watts), a Line Magnetic LM-217ia (300B, 8 watts) and the Leben (EL34, 15 watts). The speakers will be the SAM (with sub), the Super Alnico HO Monitors (with sub) and XRS towers and the brand new Super 8 XRS. I just want to know the opinion of Omega speakers owners about the best way to go for an all-around performer, but with a strong penchant for rock, punk, metal and electronica. Of course, value for money is always a factor. If I can save some money on the speakers, I will put it on the DAC, streamer, etc.

My listening space is 12'x 13' in an open room of 12'x 40' (living room/dining room/kitchen).

Sorry for my bad grammar and/or spelling. French is my first language.

Thanks!

Guillaume

roscoe65

Re: Future owner needs advices
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2017, 03:11 pm »
Guillaume,

You have the good fortune of being able to listen to all of Louis' speakers before purchase.  I would bring the music you like with you and spend some time listening.  You'll have a better idea of what works than any of us.  However, it sounds like the new Super 8 XRS might just be what suits your musical tastes.  It would also integrate well with a true subwoofer later if you want.

GBouillon

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2017, 03:25 pm »
Roscoe,

You are right, I should trust my ears with my own music as I have the chance to listen to many Omega models.

I guess my question was more like...

For the kind of music that I listen to,with tubes and probably a sub, what is the ideal configuration :

A single driver, fiber cone/ferrite magnet like the Super 8 XRS ;

Or a single hemp cone/Alnico driver like the SAM ;

Or a 1,5 way like the SAM HO.

Those are my three choices right now. Just want to have feedback from owners.

Thanks for your advice!

Nocturne79

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2017, 03:36 pm »
my setup currently is Spotify---Decware ZDSD---Mini Torii---Omega HO monitors

I listen to a wide variety of music from classicla rock, classical piano, jazz, movie soundtracks---Tron is my favorite----and I find these HO monitors to be outstanding.  I have never once felt buyers remorse with them.  They handle classic rock really well i find and at evening I can play very quietly and still feel like i am not missing anything...crystal clear.  I am getting a decware zrock to see if that gives a bit more slam for alot of bad recordings,  I like 80's music and sadly alot of them have horrible recordings lol.  I do plan to buy subs with them but only because I plan to put them to tv/movie duty otherwise i would be in no rush for a sub.

hope this helps and like others said trust your ears you get to hear the lineup before making a buy which is very nice.

ihor

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2017, 04:26 pm »
Guillaume,

While I am not familiar with the amps you mention, I am using a Unison Unico hybrid integrated (80 wpc, 12au7 tube front end, ss power amp section) with my SAMs, and the combination is fantastic (especially with Siemens tubes).  The Unico is a greatly underappreciated amp!  I have been considering moving to the Simply Italy, but unless I can demo it with the SAMS, I am having a hard time convincing myself that making the change will make enough of a difference to justify the cost.  That said, I am really drawn to trying the SET Simply Italy.  Good luck in your search.

ZLS

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2017, 05:07 pm »
    Guillaume,

Sir, based on you penchant for your stated genre's of music,

I believe that a high output (dual  4 1/2 "driver), speaker coupled with the Omega woofer would be fantastic.

Now. if you want to go completely off the wall crazy, how about a high output (dual driver) speaker using two of

the new 8" drivers.  Those will rock out!

And finally, to go completely over the top, to go where no man has ever gone before,

take those dual 8" drivers and throw a 4 1/2" driver on top in an omni configuration. 

My brain explodes just thinking about it!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2017, 05:26 pm »
Hard to go wrong, all of the Omega drivers are excellent!

GBouillon

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2017, 05:39 pm »
@Nocturne

Thanks for your advice, it helps indeed! I love 80's music too and yes, a lot of recordings make me cringe on a good system... I took a look at the Decware ZRock and it is a very interesting piece of gear. I only read a couple of reviews of the Decware stuff. They are US Factory Direct so it is somewhat hard for me to test it at home as I live in Canada (shipping, import charges,  etc.).

@ihor

The Unison Simply Italy sounded amazing with the SAM and the Super Alnico HO XRS! The Unison Triode 25 is a step further in the chain. When discussing my awe for the Simply Italy, the dealer said with his eyes wide open: « Just wait 'til you hear the Triode 25. Believe me. » If you ever have a chance to hear Unison's tubes integrated, go for it. I think you will take the plunge. ;)

@ ZLS

I didn't thought of going with an Outlaw Omega speakers. Those are crazy configurations! I think I would have to call Mr. Chochos directly!

@Dave

Yeah, they are 2 in 2 with me so far. In the end, I think that my ears will be the utlimate judges. But now ZLS opened the Outlaw door!

JackD

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2017, 03:49 am »
There are many quality tube amp companies in Canada like Coincident and Triode/Finale so explore some of them too.

mrvco

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2017, 07:41 pm »
Being able to hear several of Louis' current designs is a great opportunity.  I own the Super 7XRS mkii speakers and a DeepOmega8 sub.  I'm still blown away by how great these speakers sound and how well they respond to gear that should, based on 'conventional audiophile wisdom', be way out of their league by any measure.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of Louis' designs and I'd trust your ear based on what you're hearing and on what you feel like will integrate well into your listening space in both aesthetic and practical terms.

Beatlebum

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2017, 03:07 pm »
My second Dennis Had amplifier in-progress. Dennis' amplifiers sound sensational with my Omega Super Alnico HO monitors. Highly recommended!

I'll likely end up selling my other Dennis Had Inspire KT88 IFA-1 amplifier with Blue Alps volume control in the near future.

Tim

tdogzthmn

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2017, 03:16 pm »
I'm looking into the Junior 8XRS speakers and currently have a Sansui AU-517 integrated.  I know SET is popular with Omegas but I'm hoping the Sansui will also work some magic!  Thankfully I do own a Bottlehead SEX amp which is SET so I can get a taste of tube sound if desired.

roscoe65

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2017, 05:02 pm »
My second Dennis Had amplifier in-progress. Dennis' amplifiers sound sensational with my Omega Super Alnico HO monitors. Highly recommended!

I'll likely end up selling my other Dennis Had Inspire KT88 IFA-1 amplifier with Blue Alps volume control in the near future.

Tim

Hey!  That's a clone of my Inspire PSE!

Beatlebum

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2017, 05:37 pm »
"Hey!  That's a clone of my Inspire PSE!"

Roscoe65,

Tell me more! Your experiences/observations with your PSE?

Thanks,

Tim

roscoe65

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2017, 05:48 pm »
I'm using mine with an LP-27a and a DAC only right now.  It feeds a pair of Altec two-way speakers (99dB, 414A, 802D, 32A).  It does not sound romantic or old fashioned.  I'm running it with RCA 6V6GT's right now (about 10wpc) and it has more power than I can use in my small room.  Dennis tells me the GL KT77's are the bomb with this amp (probably 16-20wpc) but I haven't tried them yet.

I still haven't optimized it yet, but in my system with 99dB 12" alnico drivers running with no crossover the impact is tremendous.  I haven't tried it on my SAM yet, but I'm sure it would be killer.  If I hadn't already put so much effort into the Altec's I probably would have gone straight to Alnico 1.5's.

Beatlebum

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2017, 06:04 pm »
"It does not sound romantic or old fashioned."

Thanks Roscoe65! Romantic or old fashioned is exactly what I don't want!

Dennis and I have been corresponding back and forth for the last 6 months about an amplifier upgrade. I really really like my IFA-1 (without the IIPS upgrade) with 6L6's and a 6CG7 input tube. I considered sending my IFA-1 in for the upgrade but ultimately decided on Dennis' latest and greatest. I run a single source (vinyl), hence the volume control on my amps, and I love the purity of it. Through the 1.5's I can easily discern equipment and cable changes as well as output and input tubes.

Beatlebum

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2017, 06:07 pm »
BTW, my new Inspire Fire Bottle PSE will be voiced and furnished with KT66 output tubes. :D

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2017, 06:17 pm »
I'm using mine with an LP-27a and a DAC only right now.  It feeds a pair of Altec two-way speakers (99dB, 414A, 802D, 32A).  It does not sound romantic or old fashioned.  I'm running it with RCA 6V6GT's right now (about 10wpc) and it has more power than I can use in my small room.  Dennis tells me the GL KT77's are the bomb with this amp (probably 16-20wpc) but I haven't tried them yet.

I still haven't optimized it yet, but in my system with 99dB 12" alnico drivers running with no crossover the impact is tremendous.  I haven't tried it on my SAM yet, but I'm sure it would be killer.  If I hadn't already put so much effort into the Altec's I probably would have gone straight to Alnico 1.5's.

I've tried lots of EL34 types new and OS and the reissue GL KT77 are probably the best overall (SET with James OPTs, ~7wpc). They are the only new production tubes I'd buy right now.

I've also tried lots of drivers and Broski's Aikido circuit is fantastic, he also has an EL34 SET circuit but it's normal/ordinary with the exception of a cap based voltage divider to cancel PS noise. I'm running 6SL7 > 6SN7 > KT77 right now...

roscoe65

« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2017, 06:27 pm »
I've tried lots of EL34 types new and OS and the reissue GL KT77 are probably the best overall (SET with James OPTs, ~7wpc). They are the only new production tubes I'd buy right now.

I've also tried lots of drivers and Broski's Aikido circuit is fantastic, he also has an EL34 SET circuit but it's normal/ordinary with the exception of a cap based voltage divider to cancel PS noise. I'm running 6SL7 > 6SN7 > KT77 right now...

The Inspire PSE is 6SN7 > parallel SEP (anything that will fit or adapted can be used) with a tube rectifier acting as a PS buffer between the regulated supply and the B+ supply.  Dennis' amps can be driven directly, but in my experience really benefit from an active preamp.  I use his LP-27a (27 or 56 > 6SN7 with Type 80 rectifier).

GBouillon

« Reply #19 on: 31 Mar 2017, 02:40 pm »
I spoke with a dealer yesterday, who sells Falcon LS3/5a speakers and was trying to sell them to me. When I told him about my choice of Omega speakers, he told me that he got a lot of criticism from his customers regarding their lack of performance in the highs and espacially the lows. He said that the Falcon were much more clear and detailed, better in every way than the Omegas, even in the midrange. I took it with a big grain of salt, as I didn't notice anything missing when I first listened to the SAM (with a sub) and the Super Alnico HO XRS.

What is your opinion on that?

And I need some advices regardind a good tube amplifier to go with either the Super 8XRS or the SAM HO (with sub). Budget is around 3000-4000$ US. Something cheaper would be welcome too, of course. Best value for money kind of thing.

I really liked the EL34 based, single-ended ultralinear Unison Simply Italy. Maybe a little more power and dynamics would be great. The Cayin CS-55a (KT88, UL push-pull) was good too, but less magical. Same thing with the Line Magnetic 216ia (KT88, UL push-pull).

Right now, I am considering the usual suspects : Leben CS-300XS, Unison Research Triode 25 (the S6 is too big) and Prima Luna Dialogue Premium. I am also considering the Line Magnetic 218ia (845 tubes) and the 217ia (300B tubes).

Any other single-ended, EL34 ou EL84 based amplifiers to recommend? Something that I could easily listen too in Canada or order factory direct.

I am thinking about the Decware TORII, but I don't like the look and how the cables are plugged in. And my girlfriend would hate it even more than me. I know that the sound is more important, but hey, I am the one looking at it every single day.  8)