New Rapsberry Pi - Outputting 48K via USB

mfsoa

New Rapsberry Pi - Outputting 48K via USB
« on: 19 Dec 2015, 03:00 am »
Hi All,
I just set up a Rapsberry Pi 2 using Max2play. I plan on trying the HifiBerry Digi+ spdif board but as its still a few days away I thought I'd try to get the USB output working into my Marantz SA8005. So, wired ethernet into the Pi and USB out to the dac.

The Pi is currently used only as a squeezebox emulator running Squeezelite, in place of my Touch.

The USB plays, but the output reads 48K on the Marantz regardless of software sampling rate.

How do I get either the native sampling rates to play, or else I'd like to upsample everything to 192K (the Marantz really seems to shine at 192 based on using jriver into it from a laptop)

I guess I have to enter commands into Max2play's Audioplayer--Edit Advanced Options--Alsa parameters or Command line options.

Or, I have been able to Putty into it but have absolutely no idea what to do when I'm in there, or how to save changes if I make  :duh:

Can someone help out?

Thanks in advance!!

-Mike

richidoo

Re: New Rapsberry Pi - Outputting 48K via USB
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2015, 04:04 am »
Apparently the Alsa driver is limited to 48kHz by default. You can edit to change it.

These seem helpful, but no guarantees
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/494

https://wiki.debian.org/ALSA

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/74558/change-sampling-rate-in-alsa

Odal3

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2015, 04:25 am »
I have never tried those players but if you get completely stuck, Check out the moode player. It has an easy web based interface where you can change a lot of settings including sample rate.

http://moodeaudio.org/

mfsoa

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2015, 04:43 am »
I've been reading up on moode, thanks for the reminder.

But I want to evaluate it first as a squeezelite player and then try running LMS on it as well. And maybe plug my HD right into it.

I have many other sqeezy things around the house and am liking how the Pi just jumped right in place of the Touch with the LMS setup I'm used to.

I will check out the coax out from the digiberry+ but so far my DAC has seemed to prefer USB.

Touch will find a new home in the spare bedroom.

RBMitch

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2015, 12:58 pm »
If you're only going to use the Pi as a Squeeze player, you should check out the PiCore Player. Works great as a replacement for a failed Squeezebox for me.

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2015, 04:32 pm »
OK I downloaded and installed picoreplayer.  I can play music to it, confirmed w/ headphones in analog output.

But I can't open the web interface.  I enter the Pi's web address into a browser and no picore interface pops up. I add :80 to the IP address and still nada.

Any ideas how to find out what to enter into the browser to access the picoreplayer web interface?

Thanks

mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2015, 04:38 pm »
OK got in. Somehow...

RBMitch

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2015, 11:00 pm »

In LMS settings on the information tab it shows all of your connected players and the IP addresses.You should only need to put the player's IP address into a web browser on the network to access the PiCore settings.  Also on the main page there are tabs near the bottom - Basic Normal Advanced Beta -  that open up a lot more settings if more customization is needed.

mfsoa

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2015, 12:36 am »
Picoreplayer also playing everything at 48K via USB. I see that this is the ALSA default but I can't find what to put into the picore Alsa and/or upsampling settings to either play the file at its native resolution or to upsample everything to 192K.

To further complicate issues, I got my digi+ board today and attached it via spfif coax. Still using picoreplayer, (after first selecting the wrong audio output setting) the dac locks on to the native sampling rate (only tried 44.1 and 96) but there is no sound coming from the dac.

Frustration builds.

Do I now jump to Moode?  I wonder why the dac knows what the incoming sampling rate is but doesn't make any noise (except for some minor crackling)

Grrr...

mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2015, 01:26 am »
One step closer w/ picoreplayer.

It plays fine through optical but no sound through coax, into the same dac.  Coax sometimes locks at 44 or 48 or 96 given a 96K input, using a Black Cat digital cable with BNC to RCA adapters. I switched to a few regular, non-digital RCA cables and none of them shoed any lock at all on the dac.

I'll try some more digital cables tomorrow.