30.7 For Condo's at Quintessence Audio in Chicago: TitaniumTroy version

TitaniumTroy

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=mug&m=240126

My suggestion for condo lovers for who can't play Maggie speakers too loud, Mini Mags with 2 DWM's. Or LRS's with 2 DWM's if those play too loud for your condo, you need to move into a better sound insulated condo. Of course you could always opt to buy a pair of HiFiMan HE1000'sV2 (which I am owner)

Please feel free to ask any questions you wish, regarding the 30.7s for Condo's  and I will reply in this forum.

My townhouse duplex neighbor used to bang on our shared wall (my computer room) when my Monsoon Hybrids conventional sub would get to loud. Upgraded to the MiniMags and got a second DWM, one wasn't cutting the mustard. Now I can play louder and it sounds much better all planer, plus a True Ribbon Tweeter.

In my living room I have JBL 4367's with an SVS Ultra sub that he doesn't complain about unless I turn the sub past the 8 o'clock position. No shared wall in that room though.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Thanks for posting this, it sounds like they're on the right track for the well heeled.

josh358

Wendell says they're beginning with the flagship, but that if they go with the concept there will be more economical models as well.

Cary1

It would be nice to have an idea on pricing.  Personally, I would love to see a stand alone option of something like the old MG-10/MG10.1, but with a real ribbon tweeter.  If they could get something out like this in the $3,000 range that people could mate with their own subwoofers (i.e. GR Research open baffle subs), it could be a phenomenal full range setup for less than $5,000.   I know my wife wouldn't cry if I got something smaller than my 3.5s. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
As the author of this thread writes... paraphrase.. using a sub in a condo (or apartment) i asking for trouble,) The best thing about maggies for apartments is the fact the main Magnepan speakers bass DOES NOT go through walls nearly as much as box speaker bass.
To me, the notion that Magnepan is designing a box woofer for condos (and apartments) is just plain stupid. ure they may SELL THEM. but to USE THEM, unless your neighbor is deaf, or you do NOT SHARE A WALL... you are screwed. (unless you really do not give a rat's ass about complaints)
Anyway, I find the notion of Magnepan making a box LF driver for shared walls ridiculous.

josh358

As the author of this thread writes... paraphrase.. using a sub in a condo (or apartment) i asking for trouble,) The best thing about maggies for apartments is the fact the main Magnepan speakers bass DOES NOT go through walls nearly as much as box speaker bass.
To me, the notion that Magnepan is designing a box woofer for condos (and apartments) is just plain stupid. ure they may SELL THEM. but to USE THEM, unless your neighbor is deaf, or you do NOT SHARE A WALL... you are screwed. (unless you really do not give a rat's ass about complaints)
Anyway, I find the notion of Magnepan making a box LF driver for shared walls ridiculous.
It isn't a box woofer! It's a dipole, just like the planar panels. The only difference is that it uses dynamic drivers, which allows it to be smaller.

josh358

It would be nice to have an idea on pricing.  Personally, I would love to see a stand alone option of something like the old MG-10/MG10.1, but with a real ribbon tweeter.  If they could get something out like this in the $3,000 range that people could mate with their own subwoofers (i.e. GR Research open baffle subs), it could be a phenomenal full range setup for less than $5,000.   I know my wife wouldn't cry if I got something smaller than my 3.5s.
Wendell once suggested that if you attached a ribbon to the side of an LRS and added some dipole subs you'd have a great speaker! It starts to get costly, though. The dipole subs need the drivers, an amplifier, and EQ, and of course there's the cost of the true ribbon as well. I'm sure though that they'll have more economical options, they'll just never be as inexpensive as the comparable all-planar speaker.

CL418

I also attended the Chicago event at Quintessence.  Wendell wanted us to comment on two things for his focus group:

1) The bass quality
2) Form factor

1.  The problem I had was a bass resonance that was prominent at the back of the room.  And, the bass response was a little too loud - it was hard to separate the quality of the bass response.  What I heard, I thought was very good bass response.  I thought the dynamics were better than a Maggie with a separate powered subwoofer.  I thought their separate subwoofer blended with the panel well.

2.  The form factor I thought would be an issue.  Wendell was especially interested in what women would think of the new tall narrow panel.  I don’t think this new design solves the main problem with Magnepan’s form factor - large or tall panels.  My wife accepts my MMGi’s in our living room because they are not too tall.  I told Wendell that it did not matter how narrow the new speaker was going to be - my wife objects to the height of the panel.

My overall impression of this listening session was that this speaker would just steal from their existing buyers for 1.7’s and 3.7’s.  It would not gain additional sales, in my opinion.  The market for panel speakers is limited because the panels have to be large to make them compete with conventional speakers.

When you walked out of the listening room at Quintessence Audio, there were at least a dozen pairs of conventional small tower speakers lined up for demonstration to potential buyers.  Speakers about 4’ tall and less than 12” wide.  In my opinion, that is today’s speaker market.

Thank you for letting me show my opinion of this demo...

CHRIS