My Harman (JBL M2) Trip

thereisnospoon

Re: My Harman (JBL M2) Trip
« Reply #440 on: 28 Nov 2018, 02:21 pm »
Yes, I had them listed for a bit. I took part in my own in house trial with the Salon2 and M2. This was after I had taken part in the more controlled trial posted on AVS. I couldn’t keep all so I was trying to sell my M2 prior to the Salon arrival. The Salon was what I preferred during the blind test. When I ended up owning both for quite a while I ended up setting each side by side and having extended play with both. My preference during this time was for the M2.  Both are fantastic speakers.

Meant to quote above. I'm assuming editing posts is only possible after "x" number of posts? Either that or I'm blind and can't figure it out :)

goskers

« Reply #441 on: 28 Nov 2018, 03:01 pm »
Hello,

Yes, I did partake in the event held at John’s house. Why the difference overall I am not sure. We discussed this at length after the event was completed. I was a bit surprised at the ease which you were able to discern between the two.

Some items which were discussed was mono vs stereo as well as room interaction. The M2 appeared as more of a point source where the S2 came off with a slightly larger image size and a bit more diffused.

While doing my own stereo testing the main differences were pin point imaging and detail retrieval without becoming strident on the M2. Again, what truly drives these differences is back to being an unknown to me. My main takeaway is that speakers measuring well in Harman’s tests will generally be perceived as natural and preferred versus those which do not measure well to the criteria. Their measurement criteria has been shown to have a strong correlation to positive attributes in regards to sound quality.

Blackmore

« Reply #442 on: 28 Nov 2018, 04:46 pm »
To "thereisnospoon" you need one more post before the whole site opens up.  Then you'll be able to quote, PM, etc.  Thanks for joining us at AudioCircle.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #443 on: 28 Nov 2018, 07:44 pm »
I have personally listened to the S2's twice and quite frankly do not get them.  They sound good, certainly not M2 good though.  This was at two different places with very different electronics too. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #444 on: 28 Nov 2018, 08:35 pm »
Yes, I had them listed for a bit. I took part in my own in house trial with the Salon2 and M2. This was after I had taken part in the more controlled trial posted on AVS. I couldn’t keep all so I was trying to sell my M2 prior to the Salon arrival. The Salon was what I preferred during the blind test. When I ended up owning both for quite a while I ended up setting each side by side and having extended play with both. My preference during this time was for the M2.  Both are fantastic speakers. 

Don't you know that blind tests are definitive?  Obviously your preference for the M2 at home is just placebo effect.  If you disagree then you are just in denial!!!

DBT Rulz!!!!

[/sarcasm]

thereisnospoon

« Reply #445 on: 29 Nov 2018, 12:18 am »
To "thereisnospoon" you need one more post before the whole site opens up.  Then you'll be able to quote, PM, etc.  Thanks for joining us at AudioCircle.

Thank you! I figured as much, but also couldn't rule out my own ignorance :).

thereisnospoon

« Reply #446 on: 1 Dec 2018, 02:23 am »
Hello,

Yes, I did partake in the event held at John’s house. Why the difference overall I am not sure. We discussed this at length after the event was completed. I was a bit surprised at the ease which you were able to discern between the two.

Some items which were discussed was mono vs stereo as well as room interaction. The M2 appeared as more of a point source where the S2 came off with a slightly larger image size and a bit more diffused.

While doing my own stereo testing the main differences were pin point imaging and detail retrieval without becoming strident on the M2. Again, what truly drives these differences is back to being an unknown to me. My main takeaway is that speakers measuring well in Harman’s tests will generally be perceived as natural and preferred versus those which do not measure well to the criteria. Their measurement criteria has been shown to have a strong correlation to positive attributes in regards to sound quality.

"detail retrieval without becoming strident on the M2"

Yep, my system consists of JBL 708 and 705's for the surrounds and this is also what separates the M2's from the 7 series, as good as they are.

The M2 is a very special speaker IMO.

I go by gooddoc on other forums, I think we may have chatted in the past  :green:. I've found your journey very interesting indeed! When I got my M2's it was close to their release so there was literally nothing but measurements to go by. Consumers weren't really buying them at the time and there were ZERO owner reviews. I do wish I had the opportunity to visit JBL!, but I did get great customer service from JBL Pro at the time, that's for sure.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #447 on: 8 Dec 2018, 07:08 pm »
In one word, wow.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #448 on: 8 Dec 2018, 07:22 pm »
Nice flight case  :wink:

Best,
Anand.

JoshK

« Reply #449 on: 8 Dec 2018, 07:48 pm »
I haven't followed this thread (or forum) in a while.  Still a happy M2 owner, still don't long for more...

Nice to see you here Gooddoc! 

jtwrace, are you going to the processor and your own amp route? 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #450 on: 8 Dec 2018, 09:13 pm »

jtwrace, are you going to the processor and your own amp route?
Dac > BSS BLU 50 > (2) Hypex NC502MP > (2) JBL M2

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #451 on: 8 Dec 2018, 09:51 pm »
I've been asked so I'll just post here.

JoshK

« Reply #452 on: 9 Dec 2018, 12:33 am »
let me know how you like the BSS BLU 50 and your own amp in comparison.   I was tempted originally

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #453 on: 9 Dec 2018, 12:38 am »
let me know how you like the BSS BLU 50 and your own amp in comparison.   I was tempted originally
I've been using that combo for months now and really do like it. 

JoshK

« Reply #454 on: 9 Dec 2018, 12:40 am »
no more fan noise as well.   I don't notice the fan noise because I have a free standing rackmount case a good 20' away from the seating position that seems to dampen the noise below the ambient noise of living in an apartment high rise in the city.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #455 on: 9 Dec 2018, 12:41 am »
no more fan noise as well.   I don't notice the fan noise because I have a free standing rackmount case a good 20' away from the seating position that seems to dampen the noise below the ambient noise of living in an apartment high rise in the city.
Fan noise was the main reason I did it. 

JoshK

« Reply #456 on: 9 Dec 2018, 12:43 am »
I figured.  If you had a really quiet room and didn't put the amp in a case I'd imagine you could hear it, but in my case I really can't nor can anyone who has visited my place (quite a few locals have).

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #457 on: 9 Dec 2018, 12:46 am »
I figured.  If you had a really quiet room and didn't put the amp in a case I'd imagine you could hear it, but in my case I really can't nor can anyone who has visited my place (quite a few locals have).
It never really bothered me until I tried fan-less amps then I couldn't go back.  I was going to spend the money for a custom cover and just bailed all together. 

JoshK

« Reply #458 on: 9 Dec 2018, 12:49 am »
I get it. 

I also wanted to ask, it might have been in this thread previously (haven't read, so apologies), but are you still using the big JBL sub with the M2s for 2channel (you are 2ch only?)?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #459 on: 9 Dec 2018, 01:04 am »
I get it. 

I also wanted to ask, it might have been in this thread previously (haven't read, so apologies), but are you still using the big JBL sub with the M2s for 2channel (you are 2ch only?)?
Never had the SUB18, that picture was just from when I visited Harman.  Yes, 2ch only!