Netflix Super HD!

ajzepp

Netflix Super HD!
« on: 30 Sep 2013, 07:47 pm »
This is sort of a funny story...not haha funny...more ironic funny.

I bought my first plasma screen this past Friday - a 50" Panasonic ST-60. I got everythign hooked up, admired the fact that I had the restraint to go with the 50" over the 60" given the fact that the 60" would not have fit in the desired location...and began playing around with my first smart TV. I wanted to get it connected to the network, and once I did that I figured I'd fire up a movie on Netflix that I had recently seen, so as to compare the new tv to my old one and see how much improvement there was.

So anyway, I fire up the movie "Into the White", which is a Norwegian film about some German and British pilots who are shot down and need to work together to survive the elements. Black screen...credits...some background...and then WHOA, THERE ARE PEOPLE OUTSIDE THE WINDOW AND IT'S SNOWING!!!  :lol:  I had never seen such an amazing image with such realistic, natural movement in all my life. I turned to my lady friend and said, "holy crap, why the hell am I just now buying my first plasma??" 

So I investigate a little further and I notice that the logo on the Netflix info screen says "Super HD"...what the heck is this? I went to the trusty internet and here is what I find...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/netflix-makes-1080p-super-hd-streams-available-to-all-users/

So not only do we now have beautiful uncompressed (or less compressed, perhaps) full 1080p streams to enjoy, but Netflix is also adding 3D titles. Of course, you have to have the correct hardware and an internet connection that is relatively speedy, but how cool is it that we have this available now?

This is the first time I've seen a stream that can compete, and maybe even surpass, what I get from Vudu. This is really a nice surprise...

jermmd

Re: Netflix Super HD!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2013, 08:04 pm »
Very interesting. I wonder if my Western Digital media player can play this. My Samsung TV can play 3D movies and can connect to the internet as well. I'll have to check this out. Thanks.

Joe M.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2013, 08:14 pm »
Very interesting. I wonder if my Western Digital media player can play this. My Samsung TV can play 3D movies and can connect to the internet as well. I'll have to check this out. Thanks.

Joe M.

If for some reason you can't get it, the AppleTV is a great option for under $100....I bought one mainly for streaming music, but I liked it so much for movies and tv that my Roku has been collecting dust.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2013, 08:17 pm »
Very interesting. This should translate into Amazon Prime offering something similar at some point as well.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2013, 08:46 pm »
Very interesting. This should translate into Amazon Prime offering something similar at some point as well.

Good point. IIRC, Amazon and Netflix have some sort of relationship in terms of the streaming aspect. I dont know the specifics and don't really speak that language anyway, but I would guess they would be following suit for sure.

this is a really nice value upgrade to the streaming services...I was very critical of Netflix when they made the move to abandon new releases, because they essentially force me to take my business elsewhere...seemed like a stupid business decision since new releases are such a large component of the rental industry. But I have to give them credit...not only have they expanded their library with some very nice titles, they've also done a great job with their original programming, and now we have beautiful 1080p streams, to boot. That's a lot of value for $8 a month, I'd say.

kbuzz3

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2013, 09:28 pm »
Respectfully disagree on the value comment.  the new netflix HD may look great but really, seriously and objectively, how much is there on netflix that you really really WANT to watch as opposed, to watch because mmmm its there?

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2013, 09:56 pm »
Respectfully disagree on the value comment.  the new netflix HD may look great but really, seriously and objectively, how much is there on netflix that you really really WANT to watch as opposed, to watch because mmmm its there?

A ton of stuff. I used to feel as you do, but not anymore.

www.instantwatcher.com is a great resource for finding out what is new and available.

shadowlight

« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2013, 12:09 am »
Good point. IIRC, Amazon and Netflix have some sort of relationship in terms of the streaming aspect. I dont know the specifics and don't really speak that language anyway, but I would guess they would be following suit for sure.

I believe netflix content is hosted by Amazon cloud service (AWS).  Remember reading about it few months back when Amazon had a major outage in their eastern data center and one of the service impacted was Netflix.

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 1 Oct 2013, 12:31 am »

Uhhh, you have got to be kidding me. How exactly is Netflix failing you for $8/mo. Not to mention your comment applies to anything TV in general. You want only stuff that YOU want to watch? That's what a video library is for...

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2013, 12:35 am »
A ton of stuff. I used to feel as you do, but not anymore.

www.instantwatcher.com is a great resource for finding out what is new and available.

the instant watcher link is a good resource. The toughest thing w/ Netflix streaming is getting a handle on knowing what it is they have - the suggestions display can only do so much.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2013, 01:39 am »
the instant watcher link is a good resource. The toughest thing w/ Netflix streaming is getting a handle on knowing what it is they have - the suggestions display can only do so much.

I agree...Netflix doesn't do a good job with that on their own...when I first started using this instantwatcher site (and they have an app, too, in case anyone is interested) all of a sudden I found my queue expanding at an alarming rate lol. But yeah, for $8, what more could we want? I don't understand why Netflix doesn't incorporate SOME sort of option for new releases, though. Just incorporate something like Amazon or Vudu...a rental fee for 24hr for new releases. Why leave your customers with NO option for new releases and watch them start using a competitor's service? I thought they dropped the ball there...but I guess they had a different vision.

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 1 Oct 2013, 01:40 am »
I believe netflix content is hosted by Amazon cloud service (AWS).  Remember reading about it few months back when Amazon had a major outage in their eastern data center and one of the service impacted was Netflix.

Yep, that sounds familiar to me, as well...I remember thinking something was wrong with my internet that night until I went online and saw the report. Netflix was openly blaming Amazon in the press, weren't they?

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:06 am »
I don't understand why Netflix doesn't incorporate SOME sort of option for new releases, though. Just incorporate something like Amazon or Vudu...a rental fee for 24hr for new releases. Why leave your customers with NO option for new releases and watch them start using a competitor's service? I thought they dropped the ball there...but I guess they had a different vision.

I think a lot of that has to do with the deals they would have to make with the studios etc. Those deals cost a lot of money ("We are investing hundreds of millions of dollars to expand the Prime Instant Video library for our customers," Bill Carr, vice president of video and music at Amazon, said in a statement re: new releases). So Netflix sidesteps altogether and produce (very expensive) original programming instead. I think that is absolutely the better investment, especially if the goal is to get and *retain* loyal viewers. Notice that Amazon and Hulu, etc are now playing catch-up in that respect despite their flirtations and better relationships w/ media companies over new product.

Netflix is playing the long game and I applaud them for it.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:44 am »
I think a lot of that has to do with the deals they would have to make with the studios etc. Those deals cost a lot of money ("We are investing hundreds of millions of dollars to expand the Prime Instant Video library for our customers," Bill Carr, vice president of video and music at Amazon, said in a statement re: new releases). So Netflix sidesteps altogether and produce (very expensive) original programming instead. I think that is absolutely the better investment, especially if the goal is to get and *retain* loyal viewers. Notice that Amazon and Hulu, etc are now playing catch-up in that respect despite their flirtations and better relationships w/ media companies over new product.

Netflix is playing the long game and I applaud them for it.

Interesting...well in my case it all worked out great, cause I got to remain a customer (I know it sounds stupid, but I had been a full customer since 2002 and their service worked PERFECTLY for me all those years...it felt so strange being forced out in a way lol) and I also got to discover Vudu, which has really been a service that I've enjoyed. I have nearly completely transitioned from physical media to streaming; I think I've watched one actual bluray in the last year! So with Netflix offering 1080p streams now, I feel pretty set in terms of my movie sources.

It's funny, cause a year or two ago I would have had zero interest in the idea of original programming. Fast Forward to today and I'd have to say that Lillehamer (sp?) and House of Cards have been two of my favorite series' in a good while. Granted, it's not on the level of Breaking Bad, but what is?

Any of you guys checked out that Vampire series that Netflix has? Hemlock Grove, I think it is?

wushuliu

« Reply #14 on: 2 Oct 2013, 06:43 am »
Any of you guys checked out that Vampire series that Netflix has? Hemlock Grove, I think it is?

The gf and I gave it a shot. We didn't make it through the first episode. It's like a mix between True Blood and Twin Peaks but not in a good way. Think teens, sex, overly quirky/trippy characters, really bad dialogue. The reviews have not been kind either. Give it a go though since it's there and not goin' anywhere.

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2013, 02:20 pm »
The gf and I gave it a shot. We didn't make it through the first episode. It's like a mix between True Blood and Twin Peaks but not in a good way. Think teens, sex, overly quirky/trippy characters, really bad dialogue. The reviews have not been kind either. Give it a go though since it's there and not goin' anywhere.

There are a lot of reviews on the site that echo what you said...it's been sitting there in my queue for a while now, but I just haven't been motivated to give it a go. I recently watched episode 1 of The Wire, since a lot of my friends have been encouraging me to turn to that to help with my Breaking Bad mourning period.

I don't see a lot of people talking about Hemlock Grove, so apparently it's not generating buzz in the same way House of Cards did. I think my roommate would be interested, so I'll check out the first episode when she gets around to watching probably.

Any thoughts on The Wire?

asliarun

« Reply #16 on: 3 Oct 2013, 02:33 pm »
If for some reason you can't get it, the AppleTV is a great option for under $100....I bought one mainly for streaming music, but I liked it so much for movies and tv that my Roku has been collecting dust.

Curious why you say that. Apple TV only recently started supporting full HD wheras Roku has been supporting it for many years now.
Why do you feel Apple TV is superior to Roku for movies and TV?

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #17 on: 3 Oct 2013, 04:05 pm »
Any thoughts on The Wire?
Give it at least the whole first season.
I found it hard to get into, but by the end of teh fisrt season I was hooked. By the end of teh series I felt it was one of the best shows on TV.
Slightly conncetd (writers/producers/actors) is Treme.
Very different than the wire, but amazing in its own right.
It is all about New Orleans post-katrina, and has soome of the best music on TV.
And John Goodman!

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 3 Oct 2013, 05:14 pm »
I am happy that the OP got a new display, and that is is great!

I am enjoying AMC's new Low Winter Sun.

Nothing however, can replace The Killing for me, that was a great 3 seasons.  Not sure if it is over or not, but I really like it.

I don't use Netflix (though I could, up here in Canada I would have to spring for IP Masking so I could access the US Netflix which has vastly more available) yet, and frankly am paying somewhere around $100 a month for satellite TV, most of which I watch only because it is there!

Convincing my other 3 users that we could toss it (and finding an alternative for live sports) keep me tethered for now.

nature boy

« Reply #19 on: 3 Oct 2013, 05:40 pm »
I think Netflix Super HD is a bit of a moot point for many right now.  Neither Verizon FIOS or Comcast provide this to subscribers, according to posts I have seen.  I am not sure about other cable companies.  BTW, I read somewhere that ~1/3 of U.S. internet streaming is Netflix video's - that's A LOT of bandwidth.

NB