Is there anything even close to the Halo experience?

mca

I pulled out Halo today after not playing it for quite awhile. Forgot what a truly awesome game it is! There have not been many games since Halo that have peaked my interest, so the old Xbox has not gotten the gameplay it used to. Now that summer is winding down, I'll probably want to start playing it more.
My question is, has anyone released anything for the Xbox that is on par with Halo? Or even close?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2003, 12:33 am »
Maybe...my friend really loved Splinter Cell. It was also rated as an awesome game for the XBox by whatever standards you look at. It is a different kind of game, focusing on stealth and problem solving, but it is very well done and a very captivationg experience. It just somehow isn't my cup of tea for a console game. I got bored with the intricacy of the tasks you have to perform. After I got burned up near the end? of the first level I decided I would come back to it later.

Now HALO I could probably play any time, any place. But I tend to play it between my nOrh Marble 9.0s and in front of my Sony XBR 40" TV! There are I think 5 difficulty levels which can really be like different games. Then there are so many maps and options for multi/team play. I think HALO is such an awesome game, combining some of the best features of so many other games. Something I like to do since I don't have unlimited play time like kids, is to read through the guides  http://halo.bungie.net/  for the legendary level. If the level you are on is not Legendary, the game may vary but the strategy and even game features are really explored here.

I think Unreal should come out for the XBox soon (or is it  Doom 3?) that may be more like HALO.

bob82274

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2003, 01:44 am »
My buddies and I have played Splinter Cell quite a bit as it is a great game.  However it just does not have the same draw to me as Halo as it doesn't have multi-player.  One game that has surpised me is Soul Calibur II.  We have it for Cube but the experience should be the same on XBox.  Me and one of my roommates were back at the apt for lunch and started playing it.  Before we had realized it we had played 50 matches many of which went to 3 rounds.  I wish it was 4 player but we have had a blast with it none the less.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2003, 04:15 am »
The playable demo of Soul Caliber II was great.  I haven't bought the game yet! :oops:   When it wasn't at BB on Tues, I ass-u-me'd that it got delayed, so I blew my NRT budget on other stuff.  Then it was there on WEDS! :x   Guess I'll be getting it in another week when I get paid next.

I'm curious how it looks on the Cube; I imagine the 'box version creams it.  Sheesh, Link is a pretty gay extra character! :P

bob82274

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2003, 04:30 am »
Actually they look about the same from what I can tell with PS2 a little behind them... don't under estimate the power of a cube.  Its specs are a lot more like a Mac than a Wintel machine (but I won't even get into that debate).  Its just a shame that Nintendo has such a rigid way of thinking.  That being said I am fortunate in that I have both an X-box and a cube at my disposal and I can get the best games for both so I can enjoy both.  

And in regards to Link being a gay, stupid, lame extra guy he isn't at all.  You can upgrade his weapons to some pretty swords.  Depending on who I am fighting he is my player of choice.  I would like to see how Spawn plays though....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2003, 04:36 am »
Well, I actually had a 'cube, and just IMOHO, it got supremely waxed by the X-box.  Thus, I no longer have it.  The cube & P2 are a lot closer.

The cube isn't a sucky machine, mostly I just can't use the pixie sized controller and there weren't any games I liked.  Still, though, gamers shouldn't waste a lot of time dissing each others console of choice, so I'll stop! :lol:   Let each guy (or gal) enjoy the games.

LordCloud

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2003, 06:18 pm »
The only other game that got me like Halo has would be Splinter Cell, it's a totally different genre of game but the engrossment factor is just as high. Halo was the game I purchased with my Xbox, and I bought mine right when they went down to $199.00 and I still play it all the time. I just wish I knew some people to get some multiplayer madness going on. But even the one player aspect of the game is brilliant. But back to Splinter Cell, it is a work of art from the graphisc to the control right down to the music and mood, it'sa damn near perfect game. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic drew me in just as much as Halo or Splinter Cell, but after playing through the first time as a Dark Jedi I just can't resist the dark side to play it again as a light jedi. But it was still an amazing ride the first time through.

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2003, 06:40 am »
For Xbox, I'd say KOTOR is a better game than HALO.

But Metroid Prime is easily the best, most immersive single player first person shooter ever created.  IMO, it's single player experience is much better than HALO and the graphics are superior.

MC

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2003, 06:41 am »
What platforms is Metroid Prime on?

mcrespo71

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2003, 06:42 am »
BTW, the difference between the gamecube and xbox versions of Soul Calibur is minimal at best.

Plus, Link is a much better videogame character than freaking SPAWN!

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2003, 07:03 am »
Quote from: jqp
What platforms is Metroid Prime on?

It's only on the Gamecube.

Which isn't such a big deal as the 'cube is now only $99, and 'Prime is only $29...

Askar

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2003, 02:10 pm »
Just get Morrowind GOTY edition.  Morrowind is probabaly the only game I have played that is in the league with Halo.  You can play it for hundreds of hours and continue to find new things to do.  I am probably 150 hours into it and haven't even got around to doing very many of the actual quests that make up the main storyline.  There are just so many things to do and see that you can just play forever.