BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

terrycym

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #160 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:05 pm »
Excerpt from an email sent by AudioT concerning the Bristol Sound & Vision show this coming weekend...

If it's music servers you're after... BRYSTON: hear the new BDP-1 digital music server

Will anybody from Bryston be there or will Bryston be just represented by the distributor (ooh err, missus)

Terry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #161 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:29 pm »
Excerpt from an email sent by AudioT concerning the Bristol Sound & Vision show this coming weekend...

If it's music servers you're after... BRYSTON: hear the new BDP-1 digital music server

Will anybody from Bryston be there or will Bryston be just represented by the distributor (ooh err, missus)

Terry

Hi Terry - no one from Bryston - the PMC guys though will be there in force. :thumb:

james

Hi Terry,

Who is AudioT?

james

terrycym

« Reply #162 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:32 pm »
Lets hope they have been suitably briefed on the BDP-1 then.

terrycym

« Reply #163 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:37 pm »
I managed to connect to the USB drives attached to my BDP-1 from "My Network Places" on my Windows XP machine.
I even managed to copy a new album across.
A bit of messing about to get it all configured, but once that has been done, it's great!

I presume this is how the new NAS drive will work?
Any more news on that?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #164 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:46 pm »
I managed to connect to the USB drives attached to my BDP-1 from "My Network Places" on my Windows XP machine.
I even managed to copy a new album across.
A bit of messing about to get it all configured, but once that has been done, it's great!

I presume this is how the new NAS drive will work?
Any more news on that?

Hi Terry,

It will not be a NAS drive (the BDP-1 is already a NAS) - it will be a dedicated 'attached' drive for the BDP-1. At this point we are experimenting with a matching chassis to the BDP-1 and it would contain two 2TB drives - one mirrored - and be a plug and play option for the BDP-1/BDA-1 system.

james

klao

« Reply #165 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:55 pm »
Also, has anyone tried "audio grade" USB cables versus stock that came with HDD?

Hi James & all,

Powered USB HDD came with small adapter and wire for DC in; would they generate some noise that might get into the BDP-1, DAC, or preamp?  If they do, how far away should we put them away from those equipments?  Or maybe, I should not have to worry about this.   :?

Thanks,
Klao

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #166 on: 21 Feb 2011, 04:04 pm »
Also, has anyone tried "audio grade" USB cables versus stock that came with HDD?

I have not tried any aftermarket cables klao.

james

terrycym

« Reply #167 on: 21 Feb 2011, 04:06 pm »
That's great James. Glad you're going down the RAID path.
When you say attached, I presume you mean attached via USB in which case it will have to be in close proximity to the BDP-1.

Any idea of release date?

Hi Terry,

It will not be a NAS drive (the BDP-1 is already a NAS) - it will be a dedicated 'attached' drive for the BDP-1. At this point we are experimenting with a matching chassis to the BDP-1 and it would contain two 2TB drives - one mirrored - and be a plug and play option for the BDP-1/BDA-1 system.

james

terrycym

« Reply #168 on: 21 Feb 2011, 04:12 pm »

I think the concensus is that you would be better spending your money else where as the difference is non-existent

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #169 on: 21 Feb 2011, 04:13 pm »
That's great James. Glad you're going down the RAID path.
When you say attached, I presume you mean attached via USB in which case it will have to be in close proximity to the BDP-1.

Any idea of release date?

Hi Terry

I would say we are a couple of months away and yes it would be via USB. 

james

klao

« Reply #170 on: 21 Feb 2011, 04:17 pm »
Thanks James & terrycym.  I'll save the money on the after market USB cable for larger HDD instead.  :thumb:

As for, 12V adapter for DC in to the powered USB HDD, do they generate any noise/electrical interference that might leak to the BDP-1, DAC, or preamp?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #171 on: 21 Feb 2011, 04:22 pm »
Thanks James & terrycym.  I'll save the money on the after market USB cable for larger HDD instead.  :thumb:

As for, 12V adapter for DC in to the powered USB HDD, do they generate any noise/electrical interference that might leak to the BDP-1, DAC, or preamp?

I only have one drive that is powered externally (Lacie 500G) and so far do not measure any electrical noise issues - but it is mechanically noisy.

james
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2011, 01:54 pm by James Tanner »

terrycym

« Reply #172 on: 21 Feb 2011, 04:25 pm »

As before, you'll be fine.

Consider all the other stuff you've got connected to the mains, TVs, fridges, central heating pumps, computers etc etc etc.
Why would a titchy 12v power supply screw up your sound?

Alpha10

« Reply #173 on: 21 Feb 2011, 06:58 pm »
Hi Terry

I would say we are a couple of months away and yes it would be via USB. 

james

Hi James, do you have any idea of a ball park price (I know we will then have an up-lift in rip-off-britain)?

Also did you hear anything about Android versions, might be useful for people to know?

Cheers

terrycym

« Reply #174 on: 21 Feb 2011, 07:06 pm »
Hi James, do you have any idea of a ball park price (I know we will then have an up-lift in rip-off-britain)?

Also did you hear anything about Android versions, might be useful for people to know?

Cheers

Looks here...
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients

Alpha10

« Reply #175 on: 21 Feb 2011, 07:23 pm »
Looks here...
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients

Thank you, but that was not the question, I know there are clients, the question was, in the BDP-1 owner's manual it states that the Bryston 'mini' app will run on Android version 1.5 OR 2.2, so does that preclude all other releases as most small tablets seem to run Android 1.6/2.1?

Cheers

pimandro

« Reply #176 on: 21 Feb 2011, 08:57 pm »
Hi james
You could put in the hard disk Bryston system to show the covers to mpod, like apache?
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #177 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:25 pm »

Cheers

Hi Alpha,

No sorry no pricing yet - a lot will depend on the drives choosen.  The software enguneeer says he has not tested the Android units yet.

james

jstrouth

« Reply #178 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:54 pm »
I ripped all my cds to an external usb drive a couple years ago to use with the ipod/wadia combo.
the format was apple lossless (mp4a).  I know the BDP-1 is compatible, my questions are"
"Is there any sonic difference, or sonic benefit to be gained from re-ripping to flac?"
and
"Is there any sonic benefit (for playback for BDP-1) in upsampling to higher rez when transcribing analog to digital?"

thanks!
Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #179 on: 22 Feb 2011, 12:54 am »
I ripped all my cds to an external usb drive a couple years ago to use with the ipod/wadia combo.
the format was apple lossless (mp4a).  I know the BDP-1 is compatible, my questions are"
"Is there any sonic difference, or sonic benefit to be gained from re-ripping to flac?"
and
"Is there any sonic benefit (for playback for BDP-1) in upsampling to higher rez when transcribing analog to digital?"

thanks!
Jim

Hi Jim - - No advantage to upsampling in my opinion.  The only issue I have had with mp4a is lack of album art which i do not have with Flac.

james