If you're considering the Degritter.......

TKonrad.NOLA

If you're considering the Degritter.......
« on: 8 May 2022, 12:16 pm »
Now is the time to buy.  $300 price increase is imminent .   Some retailers have already increased the price.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: If you're considering the Degritter.......
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2022, 12:36 pm »
At $3000 a Degritter ultrasonic will clearly get your records clean.... but I made my own for under $200.  I could still make one for under $300.

nocrapman

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2022, 02:20 am »
Please elaborate...

Daryl Zero

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2022, 02:40 am »
Yes, are you offering to make these for purchase?

audio.bill

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2022, 11:37 am »
Not the same as the Degritter by any means, but there are more basic ultrasonic record cleaning machines available for $200 on Amazon like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/VEVOR-Ultrasonic-Cleaning-Stainless-Mechanical/dp/B0933DF8TF I have no experience with it, just pointing out that they are available at the price point.

Tarheel

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2022, 12:06 pm »
Any of you folks use a Sugar Cube from Sweet vinyl?  I have the SC-1 Mini and it does an excellent job of removing pops and tics with out removing musical content.  Michael Fremer wrote a positive review a while back.

Just got mine back from Music Direct (bad power supply).  Now to see if I remember how to hook it up to the Rega phono pre.  Cable challenged I'm afraid.

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2022, 04:07 pm »
I have the original Sugar Cube from the Kickstarter campaign. Not currently hooked up but it worked well.

But you still should clean your records!

Paul

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2022, 05:04 pm »
Not the same as the Degritter by any means, but there are more basic ultrasonic record cleaning machines available for $200 on Amazon like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/VEVOR-Ultrasonic-Cleaning-Stainless-Mechanical/dp/B0933DF8TF I have no experience with it, just pointing out that they are available at the price point.

I have a similar ultrasonic cleaner. ( Happybuy) Surely not as handy as the Degritter, but than again it leaves me with nearly $3K to buy more records. I do 30 -36 records per cleaning session which pretty much consumes the better part of a day. I do a final rinse and vac with a Nitty Gritty. The cleaning solution is changed out with each session. Very inexpensive at roughly $2 a batch.

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2022, 05:15 pm »
I chose to go with the Degritter and it works very well, no fuss, record is completely dry at the end. Fortunately, we all have plenty of choices.

S Clark

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2022, 07:15 pm »
Please elaborate...
There are lots of pages of discussion from an earlier thread.  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127810.0

rich121

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2022, 07:21 pm »
Happy with my Degritter.

Been using it for over 2 years.  I first clean my record on my Keith Monks Gemini (dual platter) then do a final clean on the Degritter.
I change the water each use... slightly over 1 quart of water does not take long to get contaminated.

Great combination and the Degritter works as a great accessory to the Keith Monks.

Would never use an ultra sonic cleaner only, just too limited.

RonP

« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2022, 12:48 am »
Happy with my Degritter.

Been using it for over 2 years.  I first clean my record on my Keith Monks Gemini (dual platter) then do a final clean on the Degritter.
I change the water each use... slightly over 1 quart of water does not take long to get contaminated.

Great combination and the Degritter works as a great accessory to the Keith Monks.

ok that's good to know. I was thinking about a new Loricraft PRC4i + DeGritter as and end-game solution.

rich121

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2022, 07:51 am »
ok that's good to know. I was thinking about a new Loricraft PRC4i + DeGritter as and end-game solution.

Would make about the best possible cleaning solution, you won't be disappointed.

S Clark

« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2022, 11:46 am »

I agree.  Vacuum dry after to remove any solution.  Air drying leaves whatever was in the thin H2O film on the record. 
Wet vacuum is good, Ultrasonic is better, combine the two is the best. 

rich121

« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2022, 12:40 pm »
I agree.  Vacuum dry after to remove any solution.  Air drying leaves whatever was in the thin H2O film on the record. 
Wet vacuum is good, Ultrasonic is better, combine the two is the best.

If you mean to first clean the record using a KM, Loricraft etc. then Degritter, then final rinse with KM/Loricraft... I concur, as that is what I do most of the time and my experience shows works the best.
But, if you are saying just using the Degritter then a final rinse on KM/Loricraft... that is not enough.
The initial cleaning on the KM really makes a difference... in fact, if I could only keep one machine, the Degritter would be gone as the KM is a much better performer... ultra sonic is only for the final light duty cleaning, it is limited on what it can remove, after the KM has gotten the majority of the heavier cleaning and more stubborn contaminants removed.

S Clark

« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2022, 02:44 pm »
... ultra sonic is only for the final light duty cleaning, it is limited on what it can remove, after the KM has gotten the majority of the heavier cleaning and more stubborn contaminants removed.
Well, you have experience with a unit that I've not used (the KM), so I'll defer to your opinion.  But I don't agree that ultra sonic is only good for light duty.  It removed dirt more thoroughly than any wet brush and vacuum. 
But we all spend our stereo dollars as we think best benefits us- whether in thousands or hundreds. 
I combine a DIY ultrasonic and a used Nitty Gritty vacuum for under $300 total.  I'm sure that if you spend a couple of thousands, you can get the same results or maybe slightly better.

BicycleJoe

• It's all in one note
    • BicycleJoe Lo-Fi Sound and Vision You Tube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2022, 05:52 pm »
KAB EV-1 and Electrolux canister vacuum before and after play $149 plus $2.75 shipping
https://youtu.be/2R0GiQzFMNE
Now you can afford to buy that RCA-Living Stereo Series 25 Title Numbered $1,000.00 box set

Don Reid

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2022, 10:30 pm »
I bought a DeGritter last March.  I love it.  One press of a button and the DeGritter does everything for you.  I have hundreds of LPs I got for free back when people were discarding their LP collections in favor of CDs.  The DeGritter does a great job of cleaning the dirtiest of them.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #18 on: 4 Jul 2022, 02:11 pm »
I bought my Degritter a little over a week ago to replace the VPI 16.5 RCM that finally quit after 15 years of service.  This time around I was looking for something with a bit more automation.  I always viewed cleaning records as a chore, a necessary chore granted, but a chore nevertheless.  Partial automation was ok, but full automation was preferred.

After cleaning about a dozen records with it there is no doubt that this is the best record cleaning system I have run across in my vinyl travels.  When I made this purchase I was also considering a ProXL Ultimate system from Cleanervinyl.com, a Nessie Vinylmaster, and Clearaudio Smart Matrix record cleaning machine.  I ruled out the ProXL Ultimate system because by the time you bought the system and multifrequency ultrasonic cleaner you were just about at the asking price of the Degritter, which in my opinion is a far better design.  I crossed off the Nessie and Clearaudio machines because they were not very competitive with the Degritter given their respective price points.

At first blush one can always be critical of the price of the Degritter.  And if one were to ask me if I think the Degritter is worth the $3,200 I paid for it I might be inclined to say no.  But then, none of the machines I looked at are worth their asking price either.  I think these machines are all overpriced.  But that is the market we are living in.  Your inexpensive alternative is DIY, and I just don't have the time or patience to deal with that.  So I ponied up the money and bought a Degritter.  And I couldn't be happier with its performance or the workflow.  Fill the tank with distilled water, add about 1 to 2mls of wetting agent (I use the stuff that came with the Degritter), pop in a record, select your cleaning cycle, and press a button.  The machine will beep a couple of times when the cycle is complete and your record is perfectly clean, dry, and ready to play.  And that is why I was willing to pay a little bit more than I thought the Degritter was worth.  What do I think is a fair price?  Somewhere between $1,999 and $2,499.  But given how the competition is pricing their machines I can definitely understand why the Degritter is priced at $3,200.

--Jerome

S Clark

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jul 2022, 03:36 pm »
Pricey, but if you're a vinyl listener, U.S. cleaners are such a game changer.   :thumb:
One warning... these things are dangerously loud at their cleaning frequency.  There is little in the medical literature on the effects of high decibel high frequency sound on the ear.  I wear earmuffs when cleaning.