Introduction

ptrck887

Introduction
« on: 26 Apr 2022, 05:08 pm »
Hello from AZ!
Long time reader and just wanted to introduce myself.  I started in this hobby at the age of 12....by 16, and living in Germany, I had a Grundig amp, Dual turntable and home built speakers.  In college we used my rig for all the dorm parties....luckily most of those LP's survived!  My first large audio purchase was a pair of ESS Towers, paid $1600. for them in the late seventies.  My current main rig consists of Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monoblocks upgraded recently by Klaus to Kismet status.  I use a Modwright LS100 pre with Soviet era 1578 6SN7's and GEC U52 rectifier.  Currently running in a pair of Stirling Broadcast LA3/6's with Lumin A1 Streamer with a Kenneth Lau Silver Edition LPS.  Dedicated heavily treated room with a soundstage that is crazily immersive.  I had a small fortune worth of SR cables but a very good audiophile bud and a crazy engineer type built me a full loom of cables that allowed me to cash out of all the super expensive SR cables with a nice gain in sonic density and no loss of detail, air and nuance that I can detect....incredible!
Over the years I have had several amps and thus far I find the Odysseys to be my keepers.  I have a McIntosh C500T pre amp that is the finest I've ever owned and next week plan to integrate it into this rig.  Looking forward to hearing it. 

I am still a large SR fan and have had great improvement using their fuses....currently the Purple fuses.  Any Stratos users out there that have tried them in their amps?  With 4 internal and one in the IEC connector....that's 10 total fuses and quite the investment!  Has anybody determined the correct orientation of the 4 on the internal boards? 

Look forward to being a long term member both reading and contributing in any way I can.  A wonderful life long hobby!

Thanks!

GentleBender

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2022, 09:02 am »
Nice room ptrck887! You have picked up some great gear along your journey. Looking forward to your impression of the McIntosh C500T.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2022, 12:40 pm »
Welcome!

Wally_C

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2022, 03:23 pm »
Welcome aboard!  Love the system!

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2022, 10:27 pm »
I have all Orange in Kismets.  Definitely make a difference and don’t know why.
Mark

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2022, 10:27 pm »
Welcome btw

Dishman442

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2022, 12:35 am »
Welcome!  Nice room. I can imagine your results are great in there.

I have upgrade ceramic fuses in my Kismet Khartago monos, not SRs, and they sound wonderful but to be fair, many changes were made simultaneously so I can’t distinguish between them. My Candela pre has new upgraded tubes with an SR fuse, and did I mention I re-cabled everything at the same time? Not the best method for reporting individual results… (I also used a contact enhancer throughout)

Anyway, glad you are here and look forward to your contributions!

James

ptrck887

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2022, 12:14 am »
Thanks all!  Spoke to Klaus....what a great guy and helpful as could be.  For those wondering....Klaus told me the current direction flows from the center of the board towards the outside.  Not enough hours on them yet to come to any conclusions, but past experience with SR Purples in other gear....I expect to hear a nice improvement.  Once the fuses run in I will get the McIntosh C500T installed and see how it meshes....all about the synergy!
Thanks