What will be my next speaker (Help)

Komoyuki

What will be my next speaker (Help)
« on: 28 Jan 2022, 10:30 am »
To give a brief history. My quest in audio started 15 years ago. I stopped counting the number of components that I had not out of dissatisfaction but like any good audiophile, I wanted to test and try lots of products for pure pleasure. In the last year, I stopped on a set of amplification and preamplification from Van Alstine. Pre SLR & SET 400 power. They're not going anywhere because I love the sound, AVA philosophy, build quality and so on. Which leads me today to want to find my pair of speakers for the next few years. I've known SALK for a while but it's only recently that I started to read more seriously about their product. In addition, I recently moved my audio system to the basement and I had fun with the acoustics with panels that I made myself following the basic acoustic guides. The result before and after is really impressive and I am very proud of it. Currently I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 300 6G which I love and which seems to me a very good match with my AVA components as well as for the size of my room. So why would you want to change? Because I want to join the idea that I wanted to obtain with Van Alstine. Small company, quality product and not made on an assembly line in China. Anyway, I don't want to get into this debate, it's not the goal here, but you see the point.

Therefore. which brings me to talk about my room. 13 wide, 22 deep with a ceiling not even 7feets. My couch is placed in the center of the room about 12feets from the front wall. My current speakers are 4feets from the front wall and just over 1 foot from the side walls. Which gives me the perfect triangle. I look for a tower. So many choices so this is where I ask for help. 4 choices here I am looking completely different

Song3
Song3 Beat
BePure2
Song3 Encore

Yes I know, not the same price but it's not necessarily a question of money, I just want the right product. I listen to everything, jazz, rock, concert, movie soundtrack and very often at high volume. What would be your choice, suggestion.

Thanks for reading !!

https://avahifi.com/collections/preamplifiers/products/vision-slr-preamplifier
https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/vision-set-400-amplifier

RonN5

Re: What will be my next speaker (Help)
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2022, 11:11 am »
Since each of these models has a slightly different sound profile, suggest you call or email Jim and have a discussion regarding what you are looking for (sound).  He won't tell you what to buy but he can guide you as to what each model might sound like in your system.

JDoyle

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2022, 02:22 pm »
“I listen to everything, jazz, rock, concert, movie soundtrack and very often at high volume. What would be your choice, suggestion.”

I’m in that same music camp, but I don’t crank it up like I used to. :lol:

I agree that you should talk to Jim, he’ll steer you in the right direction.

I have the Encores, but it’s not the only model with the Satori 9.5…
The bass IMHO, just rocks with that woofer  :thumb:

jd3

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2022, 02:33 pm »
As mentioned above, your best bet is to talk to Jim.  He can help you make the best choice. 

Komoyuki

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2022, 06:51 pm »
I know from time to time he jumps here on this forum. I also wanted to have some customer feedback. There not much informations & reviews out there which is fine.

JCarney

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2022, 07:52 pm »
It would not surprise me from what Komoyuki describes as his listening preferences, Jim might very well recommend the BePure2 due to the ridiculously low distortion from the Purify woofers. As everyone else has recommended, contact Jim first.

Best of luck,
JCarney

rmdtexas

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2022, 07:58 pm »
+1 on talking to Jim.

i've had by BeATs for several years and very happy. Jim recommended them based on the fact that the recording quality of some of the music i listen to is not always the highest quality. He thought the BeATs midrange was more forgiving than the Encores but still had plenty of detail for the higher quality recordings.   Plus I already had a REL Sub i could plug in if needed the extra bass. Have since switched to a rhythmik sub.

As  your system is in a basement, if it has concrete walls, your bass re-enforcement maybe much higher than what i have, so a sub, especially with the Encores may not be necessary.

I also have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX-6s in a secondary system, so i have some familiarity with the Monitor Audio Sound. I hear the newer Silver 300s are a step above my RX-6s.   

I listen to classical, jazz, blues, classic rock, folk, and some country/bluegrass.

Komoyuki

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2022, 12:08 am »
It will actually end with a call to discuss the options and what he thinks. I dare to believe that the best person to talk about it is Jim himself. I will try to keep this post up to date  8)

AllanS

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2022, 07:53 pm »
So.  What did Jim have to say? 
I don’t have any of the models you’re asking about but I have a couple of related pairs that have lead me to a general conclusion about Salk or related product.  In addition to what you are able to hear, what I appreciate in my experience with Salk products is where you’re hearing it.  I’ve got a couple of pretty crappy acoustics messes for rooms and in spite of that I find moments of sound stage brilliance.  In those rooms I have a pair of Supercharged SongSurrounds and a pair of original Philharmonic Audio BMR in Salk boxes.  Dennis Murphy’s crossover magic is at work in both.

Komoyuki

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2022, 12:04 pm »
So after some reading and some email exchange with Jim, I decided to go with a pair of SS 6Ms. In addition to having a solid pair of Skylan stands, monitors will give me more possibilities when it comes to placements in my room. I can't wait to see and hear this

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2022, 12:47 pm »
Hi,

Excellent you can't go wrong with Salk sound speakers. They will smoke the monitor audio speakers and I should know I had a pair of RM352's another lifetime ago.

Cheers Rod