Anyone ever do motorcycle Track Days

stlrman

Anyone ever do motorcycle Track Days
« on: 4 Feb 2021, 03:31 am »
Looking for some practical advice , what to know ?
I have been asking questions with N2 who runs the events . I plan to get addicted!!
I will be “racing “ in Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Ohio, maybe Atlanta and another local.
Pittsburgh is my local track and it’s supposed to be one of the if not the beat track on the East Coast.
I plan to do 3-6 days at this track.
Thanks !!!
Todd

djpk

Re: Anyone ever do motorcycle Track Days
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2021, 04:00 am »
I did a couple of track days a number of years ago when I was living in Japan. Using a Yamaha R6 at that time. I don't know much about the track days in the U.S. though. Still, riding motorcycles is great fun anytime. Off-road riding is my passion and I just bought another new Sherco a couple of weeks ago.

brl0301

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2021, 01:02 am »
Ive done quite a few days over the years and its a blast. Biggest reccomendations would be to get good gear and if you see yourself going often, a dedicated track bike. Its way more fun when you arent having to worry about dropping your shiny street bike.

mkane

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2022, 10:59 pm »

Usually do 8 yearly.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2022, 01:00 am »
mkane,
Buell Firebolt?

mkane

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2022, 03:34 am »
 Correct. It's been a trackbike all its life. It shakes rattles and rolls but it's been very reliable. Certain fasteners need to be addressed on a regular basis otherwise it's been fun.
Heres a picture of a bike I used to run in the 80's.

Yatsushiro

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2022, 07:29 am »
Need more info on this. The motor is obviously a Rotax (used in the first KTM 4t MXers), but what is the chassis?

Correct. It's been a trackbike all its life. It shakes rattles and rolls but it's been very reliable. Certain fasteners need to be addressed on a regular basis otherwise it's been fun.
Heres a picture of a bike I used to run in the 80's.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2022, 10:49 am »
They'll pass you on the straights but you'll get them in the corners on that Buell.

AllanS

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2022, 12:27 pm »
Need more info on this. The motor is obviously a Rotax (used in the first KTM 4t MXers), but what is the chassis?
This looks to be a XB12R Thunderstorm 1203 - the Sportster based motor.  The 1125R ran a Rotax motor.  I LOVE the Thunderstorm motor.  It is the freest rev’ing street motor I’ve ridden.  There is lots of info about the XB series frame.  The most unique features are the frame carries the fuel and engine oil reservoir is in the swing arm.  Eric Buell’s mantra was mass centralization.  At one point the XB12R was judged the best handling street bike by one of the mags.  Every one of the XB versions I rode was an absolute hoot.  The XB12XT was the most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden.  You had to be careful with that bike because it would stand up with nothing more than rolling the throttle.

mkane

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2022, 01:39 pm »
Rotax was in a Terry Knight Frame. Fast and agile. Rode that bike in three classes.

The Buell is a hoot to ride and it has push button start. Good for a 69 year old.

mkane

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2022, 01:49 pm »
Important is good fitting gear, especially your leathers. Buy the best you can afford.

mkane

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2022, 01:56 pm »
 This was fun but it required lots of tender luving care. And to be perfectly honest, I was just too fat for this bike. #0 years ago it was a different story.

AllanS

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2022, 06:01 am »
This was fun but it required lots of tender luving care. And to be perfectly honest, I was just too fat for this bike. #0 years ago it was a different story.

Is that an RD350 or 400?  The 350 was the first street bike I ever rode.  I was already hooked but that experience set the hook deep.

mkane

« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2022, 02:04 pm »
Maxed out 400. 430cc. Ported, plated cylinders, 34 mikunis, big reed cages, Webco replica heads, custom exhaust, straight cut primarys, TZ front end, custom swinging arm. HP estimated around 60.