Dead battery..

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Dead battery..
« on: 24 Jan 2021, 05:47 pm »
So after six full years plus several months, of faithful service my 2014 Ford Focus ST battery gives up the ghost.
Lucky I have indoor heated parking. Otherwise it would be messing around in 12F weather.
I ordered a Noco Lithium battery jump start device. So Tuesday I can jump the car and take it in to get a new battery.
I woud just buy a new battery and stick it in myself, but at 71 I a thinking I am too weak to dead lift straight up (from the top btw) a lead acid battery out of the cramped little hole it is in, having to rotate and finagle to get it out cleanly.
I am amazed how dependent I am on my car... Only when it is not working.
Otherwise the car has been great. still going around freeway curves at 100MPH, but not too often ..... no problem.. LOL

Don_S

Re: Dead battery..
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2021, 06:10 pm »
Elisabeth,

I think some auto parts stores offer free battery installation. No need to hurt yourself or get dirty. Same for wiper blades.

My Toyota battery lasted almost 10 years so I replaced it with the same. Dealer coupon was for the battery and installation at close to the price elsewhere.

I carry a quick-start device in a hidey-hole in my Highlander. So far I used it one time.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2021, 06:20 pm »
Is it the battery or the alternator?   If the car ran fine the last time you drove it, but just wouldn't start the next time it's likely the battery.  If the car was running badly and systems shutting down, radio dying, warning lights going off, it's likely the alternator.

Heading to my son's house on Christmas day this year the battery light turned on just was I entering the PA Turnpike.  Well, you can't get off until the next exit so I kept going, where right as I approached the exit systems started shutting down, the engine jumped a beat, and I got off the pike.  Barely made it to Pep Boys parking lot before things got dire.  Called my son to pick me up and dropped off the key.  $700 and a day later Pep Boys had the new alternator installed, the battery was still good and is why I made it so far.  Therefore I sympathize with your electrical issues.

And yes, if you don't already know Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's will all install the battery for free.

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2021, 07:29 pm »
Elizabeth, I just saw an email from Advance Auto for 20% off, check it out. You can make your pre-purchase and when you go there have them check the charging system before completing your purchase, Assuming it's the battery they will take care of install and disposal

Good Luck !

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2021, 08:51 pm »
$700 for an alternator?  :o
What make/model?

pehare

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2021, 12:22 pm »
Does any knowledgeable person here know if there is any difference in batteries besides the specs?

A friend of mine says there are only a couple battery manufacturers and then they are all rebranded?  He recommends going to Sam's or Walmart for batteries.  I normally drive a dying battery to my local Interstate battery warehouse distributor and they test onsite and check alternators and sell you a new battery w/free installation.  I always ask if there if they have a "blem" and usually buy that for a good discount and reduced warranty.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2021, 12:56 pm »
$700 for an alternator?  :o
What make/model?

Honda Accord.  On Saturday the day after Christmas in a town an hour and a half from home I was in little position to negotiate, although I did bitch and moan enough to save a few dollars.  When the manager said, "Do you know where that alternator is on that car?".   I said yeah, it's right up front, couldn't be easier to get to.  He shut up and took something off.  I checked online and that appears to be the going price on the first page that came up, I didn't look any further, I didn't want to know.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2021, 02:16 pm by Letitroll98 »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2021, 02:02 pm »
Honda Accord.  On Saturday the day after Christmas in a town an hour and a half from home I was in little position to negotiate, although I did bitch and moan enough to save a few dollars.  When the manager said, "Do you know where that alternator is on that car?".   I said yeah, is right up front, couldn't be easier to get to.  He shut up and took something off.  I checked online and that appears to be the going price on the first page that came up, I didn't look at further, I didn't want to know.

Being away from home when something goes wrong...... :evil:

Several years ago I was able to get home with a bad alternator by having the battery charged, but I was closer to home than you.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2021, 02:12 pm »
Does any knowledgeable person here know if there is any difference in batteries besides the specs?

A friend of mine says there are only a couple battery manufacturers and then they are all rebranded?  He recommends going to Sam's or Walmart for batteries.  I normally drive a dying battery to my local Interstate battery warehouse distributor and they test onsite and check alternators and sell you a new battery w/free installation.  I always ask if there if they have a "blem" and usually buy that for a good discount and reduced warranty.

There are 3 major players, but like a lot of things they build to meet reseller spec.
Interstate batteries are good, worth spending the money on for many.

mhconley

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2021, 02:22 pm »
That's good life for a modern car battery. My last two new car's, a 2016 Ford Explorer and a 2016 Kia Soul, batteries died at 30 months and 38 months respectively. I replaced both with AGM batteries, a Diehard from Sears in the Ford and a Duralast from Advance Auto Parts in the Kia. So far so good.

Martin

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2021, 03:01 pm »
Modern car batteries die with no warning, which has me worried about my 2012 Camry that has 246,000 miles on it with the original battery.

And yes Auto Zone will change batteries out for you (if they're reasonable easy to get to).

twitch54

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2021, 03:10 pm »
That's good life for a modern car battery. My last two new car's, a 2016 Ford Explorer and a 2016 Kia Soul, batteries died at 30 months and 38 months respectively. I replaced both with AGM batteries, a Diehard from Sears in the Ford and a Duralast from Advance Auto Parts in the Kia. So far so good.

Martin

30 months is way below the avg. Modern cars all have a parasitic draw on the battery, let it sit for weeks without use and chances are it won't start.

When buying a new battery, check the date stamp !

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2021, 03:49 pm »
I replaced the original battery on our 2014 Acura RDX last summer (2020).  Still have the original in the 2015 Lexus my wife drives.

And have a 2008 battery in my 2005 CLK500, but that battery gets trickled charged all winter when that car is stored, and all summer between drives (I plug in the car to the tender every time I bring it home and put it back in the garage).  I do expect that battery to go anytime, but for 3 years so far it has been good as long as I keep plugging it in.  Not an option for most I know.

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2021, 03:54 pm »
30 months is way below the avg. Modern cars all have a parasitic draw on the battery, let it sit for weeks without use and chances are it won't start.

When buying a new battery, check the date stamp !

That happened to me. I did not drive often enough or far enough for a couple of weeks and the battery drained. Jump starter to the rescue and no problems in over a year. The battery was fine. I check my jump starter regularly and keep it charged and in the car.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2021, 04:47 pm »
With Covid I drive much less.but still at least once a week, 25mi minimum.Sometimes twice a week
The car was running fine no problems, no battery light. after five days I got in would not turn engine over. the dash lights  on OK. So I would guess one cell in battery went dead.

One comment about going to places and getting free something for car. Guys may be able to, Women no. Generally on my experience and from conversations with other Women 50% of the time a woman will get F* over somehow by those deals. Mysteriously afterwards immediately something is wrong, or they do not even do the service, or ..
Worst tale was Work friend I suggest getting tires from Tire Rack. all good. just six months later she goes to Firestone near Work, They tell her she has two bent rims and bald tires. She,being a car idiot, accepts the news cheerfully thanking them for robbing her of $800. I would have called the cops.
Also back a few years ago I went to a BF Goodrich store to look at Wheels in window. Guy comes out and says let me check your tires.. He proclaims my tires are dangerously worn and need to be replaced. Since I am car savvy I tell him to F* off since I had the tires replaced relatively recently and the were only about 20% worn on my Ford Contour SVT. But I bet his BS line works on car idiots.
Anyway I have learned never trust anyone with my car in any way unless vetted. So I go to MY dealer (only two of whom out of over a dozen Ford dealers in the metro area) I would trust
Speaking of Ford.. Back in 1994 maybe.. I get the oil changed, the car upon starting is blowing tons of smoke. I check the oil level it is more than an inch over the top fill mark. I go in and tell them.. The A hole at the service desk tells me 'No problem, just let it be until next oil change." I blow my stack and tell them get the service manager. You ARE going to redo the change.. Seems the oil guy put in seven quarts not the 4 that car took. If I were an idiot, I would have just accepted the jackazz service desk guy's comment. and probably ruined the engine.
I have plenty more of those stories..

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2021, 04:52 pm »
Elizabeth, you hang out on a male dominated forum, for sure you have some male friends to go to the auto parts store with you !

RDavidson

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2021, 07:24 pm »
I agree with what others have said. Go to AutoZone or Advance Auto and get a replacement. They'll swap it for you free of charge and dispose of your old battery for you too. Some newer vehicles like their computers (including security systems) to be kept on a battery at all times, which is another good reason not to change your battery yourself. The folks at the store will have a little portable battery that keeps the car's computers happy while the battery is being swapped. You can often find coupons online for 25% off your purchase of $100+ for those places. Note, they are only supposed to sell batteries that are new/fresh and are to only store them a certain amount of time. I've never run into an issue with buying a battery from Advance or Auto Zone. The date sticker is right there in top too, so it's easy to see what you're getting. On average, my batteries have lasted 4-5 years in northern climates. Vehicles are garage kept. I've always bought top tier as it doesn't cost much more than the "normal" grade. If you live somewhere with more moderate weather year round, you can probably get more battery life...but, as others have said, sometimes batteries can seemingly die out of nowhere. That's where the battery's warranty comes into play. Typically the better the battery the better the warranty too. Just don't get a cheap, low grade, battery if you can afford better.

mav52

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2021, 10:37 pm »
Some interesting information. Most aftermarket car batteries sold in the U.S. are made by three companies that build them for retailers: Johnson Controls, which supplies more than half of the market; Exide; and East Penn. They are sold under various names and built to the specifications of retailers, so performance can vary.

EX:  Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a US privately owned battery marketing and distribution company. It markets automotive batteries manufactured by Brookfield Business Partners, Exide Technologies, and others through independent distributors.

twitch54

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2021, 07:17 pm »
So, what did you end up getting for a battery ?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2021, 09:30 pm »
I recently had a low voltage warning on my '18 Camaro. It took a charge and passed a load test at the dealer, but it was only about half-charged.

After doing some research modern cars are using up their batteries more quickly than is ideal. If you have a newer car with tons of computers it may be a good idea to use a charger periodically, like the one linked below, it seems like it will greatly extend the life of the battery...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD44RQO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1