PAV, AVP or Ead Theatermaster?

accentstryping

« on: 29 Nov 2005, 04:03 am »
I am looking to move to surround sound and movies and wanted to know if anyone has used these units as they seem to be reasonable  :lol: on the used market.
                                       Michael

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2005, 05:44 am »
The AVP is fine when it works right. Unfortunately it doesn't work right more often than it should.

The AVP2 is a lot more stable than the the AVP is. But it still doesn't work right once in a while.

The PAV is older than the AVP, isn't it? Given the differences in reliability between the AVP & AVP2 I wouldn't want to touch the PAV if it's older than the AVP.

The AVP2 is also lacking some functions that I consider to be "basic". My nearly 6 year old Pioneer receiver does a few things that the AVP2 doesn't (and even more things that the AVP doesn't do) do that I think it should. Of course I'm not remembering them all at the moment, sorry. :(

I wouldn't bother with an AVP2, and wouldn't deal with an AVP at all. If it was able to be upgraded (hardware or software wise) anymore I might have a different opinion. And if it breaks down on you there's no parts to fix them.

Haven't had any experience with the EAD. Maybe someone else has comments for that. But I'd take a guess that it's not much different the the AVP as far as it being a good processor when it actually works, and having the other downside of it not being able to be upgraded or serviced (EAD is out of business, right?)

Fife12

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2005, 07:04 am »
The PAV is older than the AVP BUT with the addition of the PDSD, the PAV/PDSD should beat out the AVP sonically.

The trouble with all these Proceed units is reliability and maintenance costs.
These units are still repairable by Madrgial but it will cost you $$$.

If you get one, just make sure it has all the ungrades you need. (DD, DTS, RF input,...etc)

NOTE: Not all PAV units will work with the PDSD. The PAV must have the upgrade board to accept the PDSD unit.

IF you do get one of these units at a cheap price, you just scored yourself a once VERY highly rated unit.

I too have no experiece with EAD.