Best Under $500 DVD/CD Player?....

21stCenturyRedneck

« on: 26 Apr 2005, 07:57 pm »
I want an enthusiast-level DVD/CD (SACD/DVDA not important to me) player  for under $500.

I want a player that's:
1.)  Has a dual-layer change buffer (so I won't see pauses in the picture)
2.)  Plays quiet
3.)  Reliable
4.)  Plays CDs very well.
5.)  Dynamic sound
6.)  DVD +RW compatable

I'm willing to pay over $1k but I think it has to be extremely compelling for me to jump to this levels as the law of returns diminishes substantially.

Any advice would be appreciated.... :D

BTW:   Do you guys know if my Philips SACD 1000 with transport issues is sellable.  If so, how much woul be your guess?   (I know that upgrades can turn this thing into a monster).  If any of you are interested in looking into buying mine for a fair price, please PM me.

wshuff

« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2005, 03:20 am »
I'd check the Secrets DVD Benchmark.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

If I'm remembering correctly, any player using the current Faroudja chip may have a bit of a layer change pause.  I own the Denon 2900 and have never seen a layer change.  You can occasionally find the 2900, both new and B-stock, for between $500-600.  No upscaling, but a very good 480p picture.

zane9

Re: Best Under $500 DVD/CD Player?....
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2005, 02:54 pm »
Quote from: 21stCenturyRedneck
I want an enthusiast-level DVD/CD (SACD/DVDA not important to me) player  for under $500.

Any advice would be appreciated.... :D

I'm very happy with my Cambridge Audio Azur 540D DVD player. It easily conforms to all of your requirements (and plays DVD-A too!), and I have never seen a 'picture-pause' in the 4 months I have owned it. Cost me well under $500, Canadian dollars.

J.