Hobbs X-LS build

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Hobbs X-LS build
« Reply #40 on: 3 Jul 2020, 12:41 am »
Gold screws is a cool look! Was it easy to achieve?
Yeah! The idea came from Geddy Lee's Wal bass guitar from the mid-late 80's that was black with gold hardware.

It was surprisingly easy, I just used some tape over the threads to keep them suspended, and just sprayed a couple thin coats of gold spray paint over the screw heads. Its probably not super durable since i didn't use any primer, but it held up to being screwed in, so I'm pretty happy with it!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 3 Jul 2020, 01:53 am »
When I get the chance to build another pair of speakers for myself, i want to build a pair that's themed after Geddy's 2nd Wal, a candy-red MkII with quilted maple top & a dark ebony strip down the middle, black neck & gold hardware. It would make for a gorgeous pair of X-Statik or NX-Otica

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 18 Jul 2020, 04:10 pm »
Finally had a chance to really push the XLS in a more classic 2 channel set-up. And damn, they really rock when you push them!
I wanted to use a sub, but my Velodyne doesn't like the Sprout 100 & won't come out of standby. So I tried to use the one I have at my desk, but it is woefully inadequate at loud volumes, & just makes "noise" that i couldn't even be blended to meet the XLS woofers
so i gave up and just used the bass boost on the Sprout & while it still lacked in the lowest registers, it did a great job with most forms of music, really bringing a lot of detail and power.
There was still some muddiness that was caused from the bass boost smothering some details in the mids.

Really just shows i need to invest in a proper subwoofer.

But all in all, im super impressed with these speakers! :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 18 Jul 2020, 04:38 pm »
Finally had a chance to really push the XLS in a more classic 2 channel set-up. And damn, they really rock when you push them!
I wanted to use a sub, but my Velodyne doesn't like the Sprout 100 & won't come out of standby. So I tried to use the one I have at my desk, but it is woefully inadequate at loud volumes, & just makes "noise" that i couldn't even be blended to meet the XLS woofers
so i gave up and just used the bass boost on the Sprout & while it still lacked in the lowest registers, it did a great job with most forms of music, really bringing a lot of detail and power.
There was still some muddiness that was caused from the bass boost smothering some details in the mids.

Really just shows i need to invest in a proper subwoofer.

But all in all, im super impressed with these speakers! :thumb:

Looks like a servo sub kit 2 for your next build  :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 18 Jul 2020, 05:43 pm »
Looks like a servo sub kit 2 for your next build  :thumb:

Sure looks like it! Time to start saving up again & getting some tools to get the job done. :P

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 19 Jul 2020, 07:45 pm »
Not quite in a position to build my own sub yet, so i ordered the Rythmik L12.
It's currently on back-order till early August, but should suit me just fine, and in the meantime I'll start saving up for the tools I need. (3D printer, track saw, router, clamps etc, over the next few months)

The 3D printer will be for prototyping some back-cup/mods for Danny's Neo3, to hopefully bring back some of the other models like the N1X, N2X & N3, along with any other fun ideas I come up with in the future. :P

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 10 Aug 2020, 07:32 pm »
My Rythmik sub just arrived! Stuck at work for now, but I'm excited to take it for a test run here in the next couple days once I can have the house to myself again for a couple hours.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #47 on: 10 Aug 2020, 08:17 pm »
Get ready to grin from ear to ear.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 10 Aug 2020, 08:37 pm »
Get ready to grin from ear to ear.
I cant wait! its going to be a massive step up over my HT Velodyne sub, and worlds better than my puny little Logitech sub!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2020, 04:11 am by Hobbsmeerkat »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 10 Aug 2020, 11:37 pm »
Finally home, had some dinner, and got this beauty out of its box~

It's really well built on the outside and it looks great! Comes with nice rubber feat too which will be great for use in my room, but after giving it some knocks, I'm 100% going to be lining it with a sheet of Norez..  :P
Probably also upgrade the internal wiring to the driver/servo coil to some of Danny's 16 gague solid-core wire, while I'm already in there. Ill also spray down the driver bolts with my gold paint to better match my XLS Encores.  :thumb:

It doesn't come with an RCA/interconnect tho, so I'll be looking into something decent enough for that tonight too. Maybe in the $25-$50 range? (I have tons of old ultra-cheap ones, but I want something a little nicer than that obviously.. lol)

Captainhemo

« Reply #50 on: 10 Aug 2020, 11:48 pm »
Glad to see the sub arrived.... didn't want to see a  "bad day" story   from using that  bass boost  at   louder levels  !! :LOL:

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 11 Aug 2020, 12:07 am »
Glad to see the sub arrived.... didn't want to see a  "bad day" story   from using that  bass boost  at   louder levels  !! :LOL:

jay

You & me both! Luckily I've only driven them really hard in bass boost mode once for about 2-3 hours, now i wont have too! :D

The trick now will be to find the right balance of settings for the subwoofer. But for now it's here & I'm happy~ :P

russellberg

« Reply #52 on: 11 Aug 2020, 02:36 am »

I wanted to use a sub, but my Velodyne doesn't like the Sprout 100 & won't come out of standby. So I tried to use the one I have at my desk, but it is

Do you think this is a Sprout 100 issue or a Velodyne issue.  I am in the process of building X-SLS's  and I was thinking of driving them with a Sprout 100 and adding Danny's Servo Sub Kit to it.  I would be concerned if the Sprout 100 wouldn't wake up the Servo Sub.  Do you think this would be an issue?  Does anyone else have experience with running a Servo Sub Kit off of the Sprout 100?
-Russell

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #53 on: 11 Aug 2020, 02:55 am »
It's definitely a Velodyne issue. The sprout 100 doesn't have enough output from that connector to bring it out of sleep mode. I can get it to work by using our receiver to wake it up, then it woks fine with the Sprout after that, but its a pain in the butt to do that every single time.

I've already connected my Rythmic Sub to my Sprout and it works great! It also has an "auto" and "on" option, so even if there is an issue waking it up, it'll work just fine.

Danny's base sealed servo sub kit is quite similar to the Rythmik L12  but with a more robust Rythmik plate amp, so I doubt you'll have any issues with the Sprout 100, if im already having better luck than with my velodyne. :thumb:

UtopiaNemo

« Reply #54 on: 11 Aug 2020, 03:12 am »
Hobbs,
I recently decided im gonna return my XLS kit,
I found that theres not enough good info on the Xovers,no detailed illustrations and Ive been hounding Danny to do a vid
on just a step by step on one crossover.
Can you clearly document your step by step,you can exclude the wire tie part and stuff,just
the way its connected .It might save me from abandoning this project.
Steve
not sure if they allow contact info

There’s this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIxig_9i-Iw&list=PLv9fK2dmpIVaX6DyufaKYNLBPT0ATvRH-&index=4&t=0s

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #55 on: 11 Aug 2020, 03:35 am »
Aww man, i can't believe I missed that comment.  :(
I definitely would have helped them sort out the how to put it together if I had caught it.

In other news, I've already annoyed the housemate with my subwoofer.  :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 11 Aug 2020, 11:50 pm »
Took a peak inside the L12 sub today to get a rough measurement of the cable length I needed, and to get a basic idea of the stuffing it had. One of the friction clips for the servo coil popped off, so definitely upgrading the wiring for direct soldering to the driver.

There's a couple sheets of poly-fill covering the main inside and one main brace in the center so I'm definitely going to be using some Norez on every inch I can. Then stuff the poly-fill back into the sub around the plate amp and center brace. Should really help clean up the box's resonance. It'll make for a fun afternoon project next week. :D

But now that I've got it re assembled I've been listening to it and making adjustments getting it to blend with my Encores & I think I've found the sweet spot for now.  :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 28 Aug 2020, 02:47 pm »
Ordered a set of Tube Connectors to upgrade my XLS & do a direct comparison, esp after that tube connector thread went off the rails.

Ill do my own side-by-side & reporting back here.

Also ordered the upgrades for my L12 sub, including Norez & upgrading the internal wiring to Danny's copper wire.

It'll be a fun project to tackle next week! :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 30 Aug 2020, 06:11 pm »
Finally got a night without house mates to just chill and rock out with my X-LS & L12.. only took 2-3 weeks...  :roll:
I'm absolutely floored!  :o

The mids are far less muddied now, and the Rythmik L12 brings a lot of texture and authority to the bottom end.

The mods for my X-LS (tube connectors) and L12 (Norez+ upgraded wiring) should be here on the 2nd.
I'm excited to get started and test the results!  :thumb:

DonJoe

« Reply #59 on: 30 Aug 2020, 06:32 pm »
Cannot wait to hear what differences you perceive.  That is the cool thing about upgrading in increments is that you have a better idea where each dollar went in terms of sound.