FleaWatt TPA3116 Amplifier Tour. Those on the tour, post your impressions here.

Ultralight

Who has the fleawatt now?  I know the gentleman I shipped to had a serious accident so he sent it on without even opening the box.

Ultralight

While not for the specific tour, I got one from Derek due to my experience from this tour.

I did post a review some days back on the unit I received from him.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=141651.msg1510803#msg1510803

UL

ps: Yes, I misposted in the speaker forum.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
I read it.  Nice review Ultralight. :thumb:

guillaume bougard

I just ordered one like this

http://fleawatt.blogspot.fr/2016/10/monteverdi-tpa3116d2-with-r-type.html

I'll try it with my 3i desktop, but I also have a notion to see what it does with my 7XRS's

I'll post a review when I get it

guillaume bougard

« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2016, 05:45 pm by guillaume bougard »

sonicxtc

On Friday, my insurance company notified me that they are no longer going to insure my audio creations as they run on mains electricity.  I called them to inquire about the few I've built and sold lately, and the underwriter dropped my policy.

This is outrageous!
Who has time for the full industrial sized soapbox? All I can say is that entrepreneurs and small businesses are the keys to a sustainable vibrant economy and necessary for ideas to flourish and manifest. Yet, government, lawyers and insurance companies (along with BigPharma, etc.) are crushing us.

Derek, I'm sorry to hear about this. You're a good man and your creations are a blend of art and science.
Good luck.

seikosha

If Derek is reading this, and he wants to continue, what I'd suggest is that he set up Fleawatt as a corporation.  Don't have any assests in that corporation except I suppose parts an operate on a break even basis, which is what he's doing right now anyway.  Then if some bonehead decides go after Fleawatt for a legal reason all they can sue is "Fleawatt" and not Derek.

That said, once he set up that corporation, he'd have to file tax returns etc. which would be a hassle.

It's a shame that this happened.  Derek's stuff was fun and a great way to get into good sounding audio cheap.

fleawattaudio

• Industry Participant
Thank you guys for your words of encouragement.
You have all been great supporters of my hobby! :thumb:
I'll be sure to post here as soon as I have the fleas back at the factory.
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2016, 09:09 pm by fleawattaudio »

ashok

I just ordered one like this

http://fleawatt.blogspot.fr/2016/10/monteverdi-tpa3116d2-with-r-type.html

Looks like you got one very similar to mine:

http://fleawatt.blogspot.com/2016/10/kishore-kumar-r-type-transformer.html

It sounds great on my current Infinity RS5001s. Detail at low volumes is terrific.

Can't wait to try it out on a pair of Outlaw Supercharged 3XRS in Walnut finish that Louis is building for me.

fleawattaudio

• Industry Participant
I wanted to let everyone know that my short production hiatus is over and the fleas are back in the factory.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Good news Derek.  Glad to hear.   :banana piano:

jMelvin

Hi guys .. I got this one from Derek a couple of days ago:

http://fleawatt.blogspot.com/2016/11/mussorgsky-tpa3116d2-sold-to-james-m-of.html

I wasn't part of the tour but it was because of this thread I took a chance on Fleawatt. I'll be pairing some Super 3i's with the amp once Louis is finished with the build. As for now I'm taking the Fleawatt through it's paces with my Mark & Daniel Maximus-Ruby loudspeakers. The amp sounds fantastic and I concur with most comments (gorgeous midrange & vocals, spooky, etc.). What has truly surprised me about the amp is its ability to play fairly loud without strain or clipping, with beautiful control from top to bottom. These speaks are terribly inefficient, here are the specs:

Frequency Response:  45Hz-25KHz
Two-way Crossover:  900Hz
Nominal Impedance:  3-6 Ohms
Average Efficiency:  82.5dB/2.83V/1m
Power Handling:  ≧ 80 Watts per channel

I use an Outlaw ICBM-1 for crossover duties (60 Hz) to my subs, which I'm sure helps the Fleawatt a bit, but still. I can easily drive my RAM 301 Signature (30 wpc) into clipping with these same speakers. Not so far with the Fleawatt! Now, I realize the amp I purchased is an upgraded design but I'm kind of blown away with it's prowess. Perhaps Derek will comment and enlighten if he sees this. I'm excited to hear the amp paired with my Super 3i's .. hopefully before Xmas.

« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2016, 02:53 pm by jMelvin »

sonicxtc

Congrats and enjoy. I admire Derek's creative craftsmanship.

What is the output (watts) of your version?
This is the first one I've seen that runs on AC.
Could it be configured to run on DC, so one could use an outboard power supply?

jMelvin

Derek told me about 25 wpc in 8 ohms and 50 wpc into 4 ohms. I haven't a clue about your power supply question but hopefully Derek will drop by.

fleawattaudio

• Industry Participant

The last three amplifiers I've built have had internal, linear, regulated power supplies.  I've used both R type transformers and toroid along with a power supply board that has extra capacitance and voltage regulation.   
I could build an amp with a switch to go between the internal and outboard power supply, but the one jMelvin has would not be able to use an outboard power supply without modification.

guillaume bougard

Received the amp the other day

http://fleawatt.blogspot.fr/2016/11/the-ravel-sold-to-guillaume-b-of-paris.html

Derek was absolutely marvelous in helping me out and setting it up. Not that it requires anything, but I thought there was an issue and he guided me through the whole diagnosis with super detailed and easy to understand information. Turns out my power cable was the faulty item and that I had panicked a bit too quickly... I felt like an utter idiot but at least, I got to have more interaction with Derek than would normally be the case if I hadn't had this faulty cable! And he is a very nice gentlemen, totally dedicated to his work and with fabulous ethics. I always prefer to deal with small outfits because of these human interactions that are invariably great and enriching.

Anyway, I tried it yesterday on my Omerga 7XRS' and works like a charm. Very happy with this unit, which is going in my bedroom once I've made space for the amp, the speakers, etc... It will be a fully digital and quite minimal setup but I know it will sound great, thanks to this wonderful (and quite handsome!) amplifier.

One more thing: the construction is very impressive. The wall of this thing feel like armored plates. The top lid weight a ton and is sooooo thick. LOVE IT!!!

jsjs13

Hello folks!  I just wanted to chime in here as I am a new convert to Omega and Fleawatt combo.  I purchased a previously loved pair of Super 5's from Louis a few months ago and then purchased this amplifier http://fleawatt.blogspot.com/2016/10/monteverdi-tpa3116d2-with-r-type.html from Derek at Fleawatt.  Bear in mind that my listening space is currently very small - a 7'X6' den that can only accommodate near-field listening when sitting some small distance from the back wall.  This was the primary factor for my decision to try out a single driver speaker and I am very happy with this new discovery.  I was worried with such a small room that lower octaves would be over-bearing, but this is not the case at all with the RS5 driver.  I would describe the lower octaves as tight, clean and accurate - the only trade-off is that these do not go super low, however they give perfect weight to the rest of the frequency spectrum.  These are very well balanced speakers and like many have said before are extremely fast and do not fall apart with complex music.  In doing research on the RS5 it appears that many did not like the off-set drivers for aesthetic reasons, but I can attest that this decision by Louis has enabled this small driver the ability to soundstage better than it has any right to.  The RS5 is extremely revealing of any component that is chained to it, every amp and dac I have tried sound completely different from each other. 

I could not be happier with choosing one of Derek's TPA3116D2 creations to drive the Omegas.  The 3116 is on the warm side of neutral and has plenty of gain and headroom for driving the Super 5's rated at 94db.  Instrument separation is astounding, soundstage is both wide and deep.  I would not describe lower octave presentation as tubby or bloated as to overwhelm the rest of the frequency spectrum.  I have spoken with Derek several times since purchasing the amplifier and I can attest to the fact that he is passionate about the TPA3116D2 circuit and is also very passionate about his builds.  He is constantly experimenting with different types of transformers, caps, wire, volume knobs, and enclosures.  I was so thrilled with the amp I purchased that I have committed to buying another one of his creations with completely different parts.  For any Omega owners I would highly recommend adding a Fleawatt build to your collection.

- Joel

tdogzthmn

My Fleawatt was just purchased and on its way!

Derek was a pleasure to work with and listened to my list of wants to come up with a nice amp to fit my needs.  I currently own two class d amps which I look forward to comparing.  I also have nice 2.5 WPC SET amp that I'm eager to compare to the supposedly SET like qualities of the TPA3116D2. 

jMelvin

My Fleawatt was just purchased and on its way!

Derek was a pleasure to work with and listened to my list of wants to come up with a nice amp to fit my needs.  I currently own two class d amps which I look forward to comparing.  I also have nice 2.5 WPC SET amp that I'm eager to compare to the supposedly SET like qualities of the TPA3116D2.

Congrats on your purchase! Curious to know which amps you'll be comparing to the TPA3116D2A if you care to share. I look forward to your impressions. Enjoy your new amp.

guillaume bougard

I hooked my fleawatt to a pair of JBL4310 studio monitors and while I need to crank to to at least 3PM, the result is quite pleasing!