Crazy question - Tube amps and 2.66 ohm speakers?

Ultralight

Yes, yes, I know I'm probably out of my mind..... :lol:

But do have a question as I'm not well versed about the in and out of the capability of tube amps.

Can tube amps such as the Line Magnetic 518ia or the 2 watter Decware Zen run 2.66 ohm speakers?  With the 518, I'm running 4 ohm Omegas using the 8 ohm taps.  It just sounds better that way.   And I think the Decware Zen can be customized to an extent.

Anyways, can either or both amps run speakers that low?

Yes, I'm thinking of three RS5 in parallel.  Like I said....off my rockers.  :duh:

UL

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Crazy question - Tube amps and 2.66 ohm speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2015, 12:36 pm »
I used 3 (and even 4 temporarily) Visaton B200 6 ohm drivers with a Decware SE84B.
The original blue Torii and McAlister Audio amps also do well with low imp. loads.

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2015, 05:39 pm »

But do have a question as I'm not well versed about the in and out of the capability of tube amps.

Can tube amps such as the Line Magnetic 518ia or the 2 watter Decware Zen run 2.66 ohm speakers?  With the 518, I'm running 4 ohm Omegas using the 8 ohm taps.  It just sounds better that way.   And I think the Decware Zen can be customized to an extent.

Yes, I'm thinking of three RS5 in parallel.  Like I said....off my rockers.  :duh:

I wouldn't consider it if the amp in question didn't have a 2 ohm tap. Either way, I don't think it's a good idea without the amp manufacturer's blessing.

UL

sebrof

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2015, 05:43 pm »

UL
Check out the Decware site for info, but I'm pretty sure I read that the Decware amp is actually better at low impedance loads vs. hi impedance loads.

btw: Where did you get the 2.66 ohm figure?? Did you measure it?

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2015, 05:58 pm »
Check out the Decware site for info, but I'm pretty sure I read that the Decware amp is actually better at low impedance loads vs. hi impedance loads.

Exactly.....chances are there will be no such "flat" impedance. Dips below 2 ohms are likely.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2015, 06:16 pm »

Nominal;  3) 8 ohm drivers in parallel.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2015, 06:32 pm »
Hi Ultralight, If thats a crazy question put me in the asylum too.
   In 1990 I built a pair of 8 inch monitor style speakers. I used an Audex 8 inch coax called the (Europa). They sound great and are 8 ohms.
   I'm using a Dynaco ST-35 tube amp which does not have 4 ohm terminals on the back. A few years ago I bought a pair of Vifa 8 inch co-ax's for dirt cheap from Parts Express. They are 4 ohms. The build quality is A plus, made in Denmark.
   The cabinets were called Wood Style 801's and were cheap,beautiful,round corners and looks like they could last 300 years.
   So can I ask the same question as Ultralight? If the Audex drivers go down can I put in the Vifa's?....thanks guys......Mark Korda

sebrof

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2015, 07:28 pm »

I knew I saw it somewhere.
This is on the MINI TORII SE DESIGN NOTES page on the Decware site:
"The original two Mini-Torii's were built like the Zen, and excel into lower impedance loads"

This is on the Zen Kit #1 page:
"Unlike other SET amps this one loves low impedances and increases in power all the way down to 2 ohms with outstanding dynamics."

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2015, 10:09 pm »
The new version with the UFO transformers may change that since they have 8 and 4 ohms taps???  :scratch:  :dunno:
The older versions had a lower imp. transformer stock with the option of a different trans for higher imp. speakers.

kevtn8

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2015, 11:38 pm »
The new version with the UFO transformers may change that since they have 8 and 4 ohms taps???  :scratch:  :dunno:
The older versions had a lower imp. transformer stock with the option of a different trans for higher imp. speakers.

I have the Super Zen Select with the UFO mod. I was using the Zen Select with the stock transformer for a year and half before upgrading to the UFO transformers. I want to clear up some misinformation regarding the little Zen's speaker ability.

All of the previous little Zen Triodes with the stock transformer had a 6 ohm tap ( not 4 ohm as previously discussed here) that could handle speaker impedances all the way down to 1 ohm with no issues whatsoever. The optional ( or EX mod as was called) transformer was designed for higher speaker impedances 6 - 16 ohms. This optional transformer also had a 6 ohm tap. The reason for the differences are the stock transformer had a 9800 ohm primary  and the optional ( or EX ) transformer had a 3300 ohm primary. Both had a 6 ohm secondary.

The UFO transformer, in addition to being much better made in terms of parts and precision, combines both the stock and optional transformers into one through the addition of a switch. The UFO has a 6600 ohm primary set against a 4 and 8 ohm secondary that can be selected through a switch near the speaker binding post.

This means that in addition to being much more refined (better sounding), the UFO can handle speakers 2 - 16 ohms with no issues. 4 and 8 ohm speakers are ideal because you will get the full 2.3 watts of power from the amp. 16 ohm speakers should also work well but will see 10-15% decrease in power.

So getting back to the topic of the thread, using the 4ohm tap of the UFO there will be no issues at all and in fact Steve intentionally designed his transformers for this unique ability of a SET amp ( of being able to handle dips all the way down to 1 ohm).