TT~2

xsb7244

TT~2
« on: 21 Feb 2014, 01:20 am »
I saw this turntable on another forum.  I like the looks of this.  Can you repeat what you said about this turntable?

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
Re: TT~2
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2014, 03:09 am »
We'll post pictures and details later tonight :)

For both 1,2.

Best,
Matt and Jas

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2014, 05:19 am »
TT~1 was a great success, the sound was inviting, it had weight (the table weighed 138lbs before it lost the bottom plinth and power/speed controller lol..) and warmth. There was many records enjoyed on it but after it was sold, i knew their would be a TT~2 but how could i make it different.

The first thing that came to me was to separate all the components in hopes to reduce distortion and noise. I knew i would have to make some kind of spacer block to line up the tonearm, since it was separated, the pivot to spindle was not fixed unless i made a spacer block but this was easy to draw up in Gibbs CAM.

So the first few drawings at the beginning.

I started to machine and the rest came into place :)

BTW the gap between the platter and plinth was set at .010" and a piece of paper could just fit between the gap.

More to come.

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2014, 05:27 am »
At first i purchased a Rega RB303 arm and used a heavy duty Hurst motor. It works…..

You can see here the spacer i made to set the correct pivot to spindle. I would place it between the plinth and tonearm column, once set i would left it out of the way.

The Hurst motor was a little noisy because of it's size, so i changed it out for a much smaller motor and made a nice housing for it all. I thought a nice read and black combo would look nice :)

Towards the end, the Rega was replaced with a ClearAudio. It was sold to a forum friend.

Best,
Matt