Got to drive a Chevy Volt today!

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: Got to drive a Chevy Volt today!
« Reply #120 on: 23 Sep 2010, 03:51 pm »
Keep in mind that those trains don't use diesel engines to drive a generator to power electric motors because it is efficient. They do that because it is the only way to move them.

If the diesel engine is turning 500 rpm's and you wanted to direct drive that to the train wheels it would kill the engine. You can't accelerate the train fast enough to not kill the engine, and there isn't a clutch out there that wouldn't burn up trying to get the train to move.

The way it is now the diesel engine can rev up to make power and the electric motors on each set or axles will have power from 0 rpm's and up.

turkey

« Reply #121 on: 23 Sep 2010, 07:31 pm »
Keep in mind that those trains don't use diesel engines to drive a generator to power electric motors because it is efficient. They do that because it is the only way to move them.

If the diesel engine is turning 500 rpm's and you wanted to direct drive that to the train wheels it would kill the engine. You can't accelerate the train fast enough to not kill the engine, and there isn't a clutch out there that wouldn't burn up trying to get the train to move.

That's what transmissions are for. :)

geezer

« Reply #122 on: 23 Sep 2010, 07:56 pm »
Hmm...  About 30 years ago I was in canoe with a buddy paddling along some scenic river near Banff Alberta.  RR tracks ran along one side of the river and a freight train stopped for some reason or another.  I saw the engineer looking out from his window towards the back of his train.  So I yelled out "How many miles to the gallon?" to which replied "3 gallons to the mile!"

I wasn't sure what point you were making with this post; whether you thought 3 gallons to the mile was good or bad. So I did some research, and found the following information.

A railroad train typically might consist of upwards of 50 gondola or hopper cars, each having a capacity of 50 tons. So at 3 gallons to the mile, it would use 3 gallons to move 2500 tons one mile.

A tractor-trailer rig might burn 6 miles per gallon, and have a capacity of 8000 lb, or 4 tons. So one rig would use 1/6 gallon to move 4 tons one mile. At that rate you would need 625 rigs to move 2500 tons a mile, which would consume 625X(1/6) = 104 gallons.

So, compare 3 gallons to move 2500 tons one mile, to 104 gallons to do the same thing.

srb

« Reply #123 on: 23 Sep 2010, 08:22 pm »
A tractor-trailer rig might burn 6 miles per gallon, and have a capacity of 8000 lb, or 4 tons.

The maximum GVW for a semi truck and trailer is 80,000 lbs. or 40 tons without special permit.  The average payload seems to be around 45,000 lbs. or 22 - 23 tons.

Steve

geezer

« Reply #124 on: 23 Sep 2010, 08:31 pm »

The maximum GVW for a semi truck and trailer is 80,000 lbs. or 40 tons without special permit.  The average payload seems to be around 45,000 lbs. or 22 - 23 tons.

Steve

OK, then the train uses 30 gallons.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #125 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:54 am »
Again you're missing the logistics.  How do you get the product from the railhead to the market?  Trucks.  It's a no brainer that shipping bulk quantities by rail is extremely efficient.  It's the tracks that don't go enough places that's the problem.  In the 50's when fuel was cheap we decided to build an interstate highway system in order to truck everything everywhere.  We ignored the rail infrastructure because we deemed it obsolete.  The brave new world would be supplied by highways and trucks.  In hindsight perhaps not the best solution.  By far the largest number of new railcars are intermodal, meaning the car can be pulled from the train and hooked up directly to a semi truck.  Most of the standard railcars in the US are 40 or 50 years old.  It doesn't matter how efficient railroads are, we've missed the boat there, it's too late.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #126 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:16 am »
Letitroll98, Nicely put, however I disagree with the logistical problems. We built those freeways durring a ressesion it helped us out. We built a space program that took us to the moon seemingly out of competition only. Now as we lag behind the rest of the developed world in alternative energy production I beleive that it is time for some more, healty competition. It is estimated that a Solar thermal producing system capable of powering two thirds of the U.S.A. would cost in the ball park of 400 billion Thats halve of the  financial bailout. Wich do you believe would have a more benificial and stimulus effect on this country? As for the petroleum I feel that it is only logistical because it is the system we use currently. It is rudementery, sloppy, archean, massively inefficiant (think of the process in witch it is recoverd from oil to gasoline) and detremental to the planet. The technologie in wich we use these fuels (internal combustion engines) was invented over 100 years ago and remains largly unchanged. I feel that in todays world of inventions the internal combustion motor would be obsolete if Ideas were alowed to flourish and meet fruition before beeing purchased and squashed.

Hi Mort,

I am reluctant to reply because you seem like a very intelligent person who is also very nice, so I don't want it to seem like I'm busting on your post. 

I fully support all of your ideas and hope these and other solutions will work and I'm wrong.  I have kids and they'll have kids and I don't want what I see on the horizon to happen.  I have grave doubts that my vision will be avoided.  If we had any sense we would be implementing all you suggest now, the fact that we aren't is why I'm so pessimistic.  I don't think people will move to alternative energy systems until it is way to late to avoid catastrophe, they won't take action until the crisis is at their front door.  The reason is that gasoline is insanely efficient and cheap compared to any alternative.  Why get moving to do anything when you can get gas for $2 a gallon?  4,000lb SUV's getting 12 mpg are the norm, I can't get around them on the highway there are so many.

And it doesn't matter if we switch to an all solar grid and all fuel cell or electric cars tomorrow.  You could flip a magic switch and it won't change the fact that without petroleum based fertilizers and petroleum based packaging and petroleum based farm machinery, etc on down the line, we can't produce enough food to feed everyone.  We eat oil.  Literally.  This is the dirty secret that the government is hiding, not a conspiracy about 94 mpg cars or fuel made from water.  Our decendents will starve by the billions when the oil runs out.  At least those not killed by the WMD's that desperate governments will wield on each other to gobble up the last remaining drops.

But again, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with test driving a Chevy.   :scratch: 

mort

« Reply #127 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:52 am »
Letitroll98, I can not agree more with what you are saying. As morbid as it sounds I also believe we are headed down the path to destruction blindly following those civilizations before us. If one thing remains constant with the human race it's that we dont learn from our past mistakes. I simply get a rush over the thought of an all solar and electric energy system. I dont believe that it will happen any time soon. I just love the idea and study the thought with the same intrest that I persue all things music, mostly audio equipment. Thats why I am here. I dig the Different oppinions found on A/C and quite honestly have been awaiting a post related to electric vehicles for a while becase of the inteligent if not opininated responses I new would be present on this site. Cheers!

twitch54

« Reply #128 on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:36 pm »
I still can't believe they added an on board engine to turn a generator, that makes electricity, that is then stored in batteries, that then is used to power an electric motor to move the car... talk about inefficiency. That is dumber than dumb. That's malignant dumb.

Danny, just so you know, one of the most fuel efficient means of surface transportation in this country operates on this principal ( been doing so probably before you were born), so to just 'poo-hoo' it in general terms points the dumb-dumb figure back at yourself.

twitch54

« Reply #129 on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:42 pm »

Danny, your wrong, they do that because IT IS the most effcient way to move them and their associated carloads.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #130 on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:46 pm »
Danny, your wrong, they do that because IT IS the most effcient way to move them and their associated carloads.

No, they don't do it because it is the most efficient form of transportation. They do it because it is the only way they can move it. See this post above.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86024.msg839693#msg839693

The simple facts are that if you are traveling down the highway at 70 miles an hour in a car, then it will be FAR more efficient for the gas powered engine to direct drive the wheels rather then power a generator that then powers an electric motor.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #131 on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:50 pm »

Nope, its the only way for them.

If they didn't have to start or stop and they could just travel down the tracks are a fixed speed then it would be more efficient for the diesel engine to direct drive the wheels.

But they do have to start and stop and because of these direct drive is not an option. It can't happen.

twitch54

« Reply #132 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:11 pm »
Danny, you are completely wrong with respect to the rail industry, buy your rebuttal given it's obvious you know little about an industry that I have been apart of for longer than you've been on this planet.

do you even now the difference between AC and DC propulsion, how it works, etc ??

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #133 on: 24 Sep 2010, 08:04 pm »
Danny, you are completely wrong with respect to the rail industry, buy your rebuttal given it's obvious you know little about an industry that I have been apart of for longer than you've been on this planet.

do you even now the difference between AC and DC propulsion, how it works, etc ??

You'd probably be surprised at what I know about it.

So what is it that you think I am wrong about? I said that direct drive could not be used regarding trains. I stated the reason that they use the type of propulsion that they do use. I stated that it is not the most efficient means of motion if they did not have to start or stop. The same was applied to cars.

Feel free to elaborate.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #134 on: 24 Sep 2010, 08:48 pm »
Geez, guys, all I wanted to point out was that the car was balanced, sporty, fun to drive and had great fit and finish!   Let's not start a pissing contest over anything! :scratch: 

Yes, we have a cheap petroleum-based system in place, but the real issue is the future sources of power.  I dabble in solar (our campus has four solar homes), and THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET; each alternative (solar, wind, solar thermal, coal, hydro) has great possibilities, but also a steep learning curve for the homeowner and the local installers.

The bulk of the US population wants a simple system, and solar is not an install-and-forget system.  It CAN be a pain in the ass, depending on a lot of factors.  People who do solar well are dedicated to the process, and do it for economic, environmental, because they like tinkering, in some cases just because they are pissed at the local utilities, or even borderline paranoid (Y2K, remember?) reasons.  I've seen all those reasons in practice, and many are EMOTIONAL reasons, kinda like the thread on renting vs. buying a home.

I hate to give credit where credit isn't due (in some cases), but AC folks probably have a better understanding of the techno-talk than the general population, and that means some of us think we are right in every case (because we have the math to back it up, right?).

I was leery of the Prius 'cause the pure numbers didn't work out at $2.50/gal , but at $4 a gallon (remember?) it may well make economic sense.  All I know is that lots of people are delighted with the Prius, and there seems to be no hue-and-cry about expensive battery replacements.

So let's let the Leaf (stupid name), the Volt, the Prius and the Tesla and its variants enter the market and see how things work out, and let's stop barking at each other. :nono:

geezer

« Reply #135 on: 24 Sep 2010, 08:49 pm »
Again you're missing the logistics.  How do you get the product from the railhead to the market?  Trucks.  It's a no brainer that shipping bulk quantities by rail is extremely efficient.  It's the tracks that don't go enough places that's the problem.  In the 50's when fuel was cheap we decided to build an interstate highway system in order to truck everything everywhere.  We ignored the rail infrastructure because we deemed it obsolete.  The brave new world would be supplied by highways and trucks.  In hindsight perhaps not the best solution.  By far the largest number of new railcars are intermodal, meaning the car can be pulled from the train and hooked up directly to a semi truck.  Most of the standard railcars in the US are 40 or 50 years old.  It doesn't matter how efficient railroads are, we've missed the boat there, it's too late.

I'm not sure who you are referring to in this post, but if it is me, you're wrong. I haven't "missed the logistics" because I wasn't aiming at the logistics. Prompted by previous poster's casual comment (humorously intended, I think)  about mpg of a railroad train, and my own curiosity, I dug up some numbers that I thought some might be interested in. My post said nothing beyond those numbers, nothing more was implied, and nothing more was intended.

geezer

« Reply #136 on: 24 Sep 2010, 08:53 pm »
Well said, Thunderbrick!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #137 on: 24 Sep 2010, 09:15 pm »
The problem with doomsday predictions about oil is that it ignores the fact that supply and demand don't just suddenly drop off the face of a cliff.  There's a lot of oil out there that's too expensive to profitably extract currently because of all the cheap supply.  As the cheap stuff runs out, costs will ramp up to match the cost of getting to and using the more expensive stuff.  This will occur over time.  And as price for oil ramps up, the alternatives to oil will finally have a "fighting chance".  They will be embrace on a large scale only as and when it makes sense, economically.

And, it might end up being that most or all of the alternatives are going to be more expensive over the long term than oil is currently, but that doesn't mean we "run out", energy will still be abundant, just not as cheap. 

Scottdazzle

« Reply #138 on: 24 Sep 2010, 09:47 pm »
The problem with doomsday predictions about oil is that it ignores the fact that supply and demand don't just suddenly drop off the face of a cliff.  There's a lot of oil out there that's too expensive to profitably extract currently because of all the cheap supply.  As the cheap stuff runs out, costs will ramp up to match the cost of getting to and using the more expensive stuff.  This will occur over time.  And as price for oil ramps up, the alternatives to oil will finally have a "fighting chance".  They will be embrace on a large scale only as and when it makes sense, economically.

And, it might end up being that most or all of the alternatives are going to be more expensive over the long term than oil is currently, but that doesn't mean we "run out", energy will still be abundant, just not as cheap.

Tyson, you make a good point.  The fact is that most of the easily accessible oil is gone. That's why the oil companies are drilling in ultra deepwater (BP Horizon for example) and trying to extract oil from oil sands up north.  Any way you look at it, oil is becoming harder to get all the time.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #139 on: 24 Sep 2010, 10:35 pm »
I'm not sure who you are referring to in this post, but if it is me, you're wrong. I haven't "missed the logistics" because I wasn't aiming at the logistics. Prompted by previous poster's casual comment (humorously intended, I think)  about mpg of a railroad train, and my own curiosity, I dug up some numbers that I thought some might be interested in. My post said nothing beyond those numbers, nothing more was implied, and nothing more was intended.

Fair enough geez, sorry if I read too much into it.  I thought you and the others were discussing the relative merits of rail vs truck efficiencies as a continuation of the posts on the previous page.  I must have misinterpreted.