What is the best convertible (for me)?

WGH

Re: What is the best convertible (for me)?
« Reply #20 on: 4 Nov 2009, 11:36 pm »
My hiking buddy bought her son's BMW M3 convertible after his 2009 M3 with the V8 engine arrived.

This summer we drove up Mt. Lemmon every Sunday for a hike and it is a very, very nice car, in my opinion anything else would be a step down in performance, comfort, handling, and any other characteristic you can think of.

targa02

« Reply #21 on: 5 Nov 2009, 12:46 am »
I have owned or driven the Mustang, BMW M3 (wife currently owns one), Porsche Boxster, Mercedes  and Corvette convertibles.  They all have their pluses and minuses, but for pure top down driving fun the Boxster is the winner for me.  Handles better, great mileage, reasonable boot space and surprisingly affordable if you get a well-maintained used one.

drphoto

« Reply #22 on: 5 Nov 2009, 04:21 pm »
If you want a folding hardtop you're a bit limited, there's BMW 3, but newer models only, the VW, the Audi TT, MB SL's, Volvo C70, Caddy XLR ($86K, yikes!) Pontiac G6 (out of production soon, if not already) Infinity G, and Lexus IS.(bet that one's nice) All I can think of off the top of my head.

Have you tried the latest generation MX5 (Miata)? It's bigger than all the previous versions. I don't care about this vehicles rep as a 'chick' car. It's a real sports car, that is reasonably priced, is reliable and gets good fuel economy to boot.

The BMW 3 is a wonderful car. My exgirlfriend bought a new 325CiC in '06. It had a magic combination of luxury and near sports car handling, thanks in part to a very stiff chassis. Of course it is pretty heavy for it's size. Good fuel economy, if you  you don't bury the throttle all the time. When I drove it back from the Marblefest II, from Ft. Wayne to Cincy, I put the cruise on 68, and got 32mpg. Uses premium fuel though.

We rented a Mustang on a trip to to California. Nice looking car, fun to drive, but sort of crude....lots of cowl shake. And even w/ the 4.0V6, just ate gas. Soft top only, and kinda hard to latch.

motorcitym3

« Reply #23 on: 10 Mar 2011, 05:12 am »
I agree with the above statements regarding the M3 conv.  One of the best auto's I've ever owned!!!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #24 on: 10 Mar 2011, 02:16 pm »
Anyone have the Volkswagen EOS, Audi TT, A5 convertibles? Does Toyota current;y have a convertible?

I drove the Volkswagen EOS...I found it cramped and rode hard.  It's one of VW's less appealing looking efforts so we passed on it. The hard top is really trick, tho and the price is fair for what is offered.

We drove the new'ish BMW 3-series...it rode hard (screw those run flat tires - they suck!) and was cramped.  We also drove the less costly 1-series and found that to be a better deal at $5K less - most of the room with more vroom for less money :thumb: Still, it was well over $40K.

The SAAB 9-3 convertible gets no respect and is really good (nice riding, good space, frugal, with smooth 4 cylinder engines, (4) good seats, nice driving position, etc).  I've seen new 2010's for $14,000 off list and selling for $28,000 to $33,000 depending on packages if you have a dealer still in your area (hard to find as SAAB almost bit the dust not long ago).

Admission: I am a SAAB owner for 12 years now ('99 hatchback and now 2008 SportCombi Wagon) and may be unduly influenced by it.  But, I really think it's a greatly overlooked brand by most consumer and reviewers alike.  They have a decidedly different flavor than their better known and selling German counterparts...but, they tend to be extremely likable from an owner standpoint.

The fairly nimble front wheel drive platform inspires driving confidence (tho less rewarding than BMW and probably Audi, too) and their attention to safety might be second-to-none.  As well, with so few on the road you are rather unique. I think the convertible rides better than the wagon or sedan...primarily because it has a separate subframe to reduce body shake often prevalent on convertibles.  This is one convertible that rides as tight or tighter than the sedan or wagon due to the separate subframe it uses.

John

oops - I just looked at the date of this topic - almost 1.5 years old now.  I assume jqp found his ride by now :scratch:  That'll teach me to post at 6:00AM!  :duh:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 10 Mar 2011, 02:20 pm »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 10 Mar 2011, 07:32 pm »
i would go for a mercedes slk.  i don't like soft tops...   :wink:

older body style ('96-'00):

older body style, minor facelift ('00-'04):

newer style ('04-'08):

newer style, minor facelift ('08-'11):

i really want a lotus elise, w/removable hard-top; i might even sell my pantera to get one; the used '06-'08 models can be gotten for not too ridiculous a price...

doug s.

richidoo

« Reply #27 on: 10 Mar 2011, 07:59 pm »
I drove the Volkswagen EOS...I found it cramped and rode hard.  It's one of VW's less appealing looking efforts so we passed on it. The hard top is really trick, tho and the price is fair for what is offered.
We had the same impression of the VW EOS when test drove it summer 2008. Too loud inside, even compared to the 98 Jetta we were looking to replace. But my wife got her first speeding ticket while test driving it!  :o   That was funny. The salesman was an audiophile with Vandy speakers.   

She ended up getting a BMW3 hardtop. I'll have to wait a little longer for a convertible.

Woodsyi, we had the same experience with a rental Mustang from LAX. It only had 1200 miles on the clock when we picked it up, but already full of rattles. But that was a loong time ago. I hope new 'stang is better.

This is the convertible I would get if... if.... if....
http://www.intermeccanica.com/roadster.html
Brand new car on modern tube frame, modern suspension geometry, plenty of legroom.

bregez

« Reply #28 on: 10 Mar 2011, 08:03 pm »
Looks like its not available except used

The Solara is based on the last generation Camry.  Hence, why it is no longer around.  I test drove an SE model with the V6 a few years ago and it drove like a 1975 Buick Electra.  At the time Toyota overstated the horsepower and it was obvious when you drove the Solara back to back with an Altima SE.   I actually like the looks of the big two door, but everything else about in makes me sleepy. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 10 Mar 2011, 10:10 pm »
My best friend just picked up a 2001 911 4S convertible with 60K miles on it, for US32K.  Shipped it up to Toronto from Scottsdale.

HAITIMAN

« Reply #30 on: 11 Mar 2011, 03:35 pm »
Here's mine. It's not new but it's the fourth one I've owned and I love it. 1974 914.

Two trunks 16 cu ft of space. Will accomodate really tall people. Good on gas. Slower than slow but more fun than most anything out there!

Paul

You have a special car. Beautiful!
My best friend had one a long, long time ago and it was the only one around. The 6 cylinder models are wicked.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #31 on: 11 Mar 2011, 04:02 pm »

I'm a Poncho guy.  :D

Actually, I like the hardtop version.

Crimson

« Reply #32 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:12 pm »
Remember, folks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Please play nice.

pjchappy

« Reply #33 on: 11 Mar 2011, 09:44 pm »
I think you should definitely get this one:

Porsche Carrera GT 8)

Paul

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #34 on: 11 Mar 2011, 11:35 pm »
The car dealership I work at is negotiating a trade with a lady yesterday. She's buying a 2011 Volvo C70 (the hardtop convertible version) for two of her cars. She's got a Mercury Milan (bla...) and a Pontiac Solstice as her trade-ins. The cool thing about the Pontiac, is that it's a 2007 with like 4,000 miles on it.  :o
Ohh.....I want that car.

I'm a Poncho guy.  :D

bogiedr

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jul 2011, 12:58 am »
check out some "pre loved" BMW Z3's or Z4's ... you will not regret it!!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jul 2011, 01:19 am »
Just tested out the Audi A5 and BMW 335i convertibles and both were very nice.  The Audi had a better interior, all-wheel drive, and a larger trunk.  The BMW had a far superior engine and handling.

Ultimately, I decided that the convertible wasn't really a practical choice as my full-time car in New England, so I bought a new 335xi and will get it on Thursday.

George

Gopher

« Reply #37 on: 27 Jul 2011, 01:33 am »
I agree with the above statements regarding the M3 conv.  One of the best auto's I've ever owned!!!

I'm a bimmer head myself and I still love my '03 540i, even though it treats me like a whore, but if one of the criteria is affordable maintenance, I'm not sure an e46 (or any model M car for the matter) is the place to search.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #38 on: 27 Aug 2011, 03:11 am »
I have found my convertible

This is the 335is in LeMans Blue  - planning on leasing it - anyone have any advice on leasing?

Crimson

« Reply #39 on: 27 Aug 2011, 04:46 am »
Know what's better than an M3 ragtop? An M3 coupe.
 :P