What is the best convertible (for me)?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
What is the best convertible (for me)?
« on: 4 Nov 2009, 05:54 pm »
I am interested in purchasing a convertible at some point. New or used...

With rates being pretty low now and also a possible buyers market for new or used, what is your favorite convertible for

-Decent size, bigger than a Miata!!!! I have sat in a Miata and it is too small for my frame.
-Solid room that retracts into the trunk
-Decent maintenance costs

I am not interested in power, power, power although I do not mind it. I just don't want the car to be a hassle in any way.

Maybe I should get a new/certified with a multi year warrantee from the manufacturer?
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2009, 07:32 pm by jqp »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: What is the best convertible?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2009, 06:10 pm »
Maybe I should get a new/certified with a multi year warrantee from the manufacturer?
Just make damn sure that warranty covers the top mechanism.
Replacing your transmission can be cheaper than what top repairs can run.

Bob

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2009, 06:18 pm »
Is it to be a daily driver or just an occasional Sunday afternoon?
How many passengers? What kind of gas mileage? What's the budget? Why do you even want a convertible? Must it be hardtop, and why?

Seems like an older Corvette couldn't be too much of a mistake.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2009, 06:22 pm »

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2009, 06:27 pm »
Is it to be a daily driver or just an occasional Sunday afternoon?
How many passengers? What kind of gas mileage? What's the budget? Why do you even want a convertible? Must it be hardtop, and why?

Seems like an older Corvette couldn't be too much of a mistake.

I have a nice SUV but I mostly need it for the weekends (Dogs, canoe, trailer, etc) So the convertible could be the daily driver and get better gas milage.

I want the covertible because we have nice weather much of the year - we don't get a lot of snow here, but we do get rain.

I want the hardtop because I think in the long run it will be less maintenance and more convenient.

I may be able to justify a car payment of say $400-500

I was thinking about a Mustang or Corvette also based on used market/repairs Also I would like a BMW perhaps or even Mercedes :)

jqp

• Volunteer
Re: What is the best convertible (for me)?
« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2009, 07:44 pm »
Anyone have the Volkswagen EOS, Audi TT, A5 convertibles? Does Toyota current;y have a convertible?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2009, 08:17 pm »
Toyota has a "Solara" that's a drop top.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2009, 08:21 pm »
can't find that one

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2009, 08:29 pm »
Here it is:

http://www.wheelsdirect2u.com/toyota-solara.htm

This car is basically a 2 door Camry - you can't get much more reliable than that.

mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2009, 08:34 pm »
I bought my first BMW a few months back and I've been reading up on used car values.

Used luxury cars can be had for dirt cheap (relative to original sticker)

I paid $8k for mine (my mechanic thinks I paid way too much) and it's a fabulous, fun car. I know there will be maintenance but that's part of the equation. Even if it's worth $0 in a few years, that's still less depreciation than buying an average new car and driving it for a while. (I figure - Don't ask for hard numbers, now  :wink:). I don't know how I'll go back to buting $20K Civics again (And I love Hondas)

So for $12-15K you'd be able to get a great car, as long as you are prepared to keep it up.

Good luck

-Mike

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2009, 08:48 pm »
I bought my first BMW a few months back and I've been reading up on used car values.

Used luxury cars can be had for dirt cheap (relative to original sticker)

I paid $8k for mine (my mechanic thinks I paid way too much) and it's a fabulous, fun car. I know there will be maintenance but that's part of the equation. Even if it's worth $0 in a few years, that's still less depreciation than buying an average new car and driving it for a while. (I figure - Don't ask for hard numbers, now  :wink:). I don't know how I'll go back to buting $20K Civics again (And I love Hondas)

So for $12-15K you'd be able to get a great car, as long as you are prepared to keep it up.

Good luck

-Mike

So which BMW did you get?

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 4 Nov 2009, 08:51 pm »
Here it is:

http://www.wheelsdirect2u.com/toyota-solara.htm

This car is basically a 2 door Camry - you can't get much more reliable than that.

Is this an aftermarket conversion? It looks like there are no Solara convertibles after 2008?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2009, 09:09 pm »
No, it's a factory thing. It's been out for several years, but I don't know when they stopped making it.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2009, 09:49 pm »
This should answer a lot of questions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Camry_Solara

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 4 Nov 2009, 09:53 pm »
This should answer a lot of questions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Camry_Solara

Looks like its not available except used

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #15 on: 4 Nov 2009, 10:05 pm »
I had a Mustang Convertible rental from Budget for a week in So Cal a couple of years ago. It was fun and good but I was not impressed with the fit and (un)ease of operation of the ragtop.  I babysat my sister's BMW 128i convertable for a couple of weeks this year and it was fun.  1 button (remote) operation for the top with perfect fit.  Tight handling.  If you can fit into it I would go for a beamer over a baseline Mustang.  Shelby would be a different story....

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 4 Nov 2009, 10:14 pm »
I didn't notice that you wanted a new car. It said the Solara convertible was discontinued in June of 2009, if I'm remembering correctly. That should allow for a great deal on a near new one. Likewise you might find a leftover new one if car sales are as stale as what I've read about them.

I'd rather have the BMW but my practicality would probably make me buy the Toyota.
If you really want to push things, look into an Acura NSX.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/2001/acura/nsx/t-convertible/1576/index.html

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 4 Nov 2009, 10:56 pm »
I didn't notice that you wanted a new car. It said the Solara convertible was discontinued in June of 2009, if I'm remembering correctly. That should allow for a great deal on a near new one. Likewise you might find a leftover new one if car sales are as stale as what I've read about them.

I'd rather have the BMW but my practicality would probably make me buy the Toyota.
If you really want to push things, look into an Acura NSX.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/2001/acura/nsx/t-convertible/1576/index.html

Ideally it would be used, but dealer certified with extended warantee. The question is, can I find a good deal, since convertibles are luxury items. Some used cars may not be as good a deal as a less expensive new car with very low financing rates. The BMW 3 series looks really nice, and I also am interested in the VW EOS and the Audis.  Toyota would probably be practical as would the EOS, I really need to start visiting the dealerships.

orthobiz

« Reply #18 on: 4 Nov 2009, 11:09 pm »
Here's mine. It's not new but it's the fourth one I've owned and I love it. 1974 914.

Two trunks 16 cu ft of space. Will accomodate really tall people. Good on gas. Slower than slow but more fun than most anything out there!

Paul

mfsoa

« Reply #19 on: 4 Nov 2009, 11:11 pm »
JQP-
It's not a convertible, but a 2000 323iT  (T= touring = station wagon) 5 sp with sport package.
I guess it's satisfying the latest mid-like crisis (and I've earned those crises!)

Another point I tell people is that the automotive landscape is going to change a lot in the next 5-10 years, w/ hybrids likely giving way to battery/fuel cell/??? technology.

So depending on your age and your desire to own a sweet ride, now's the time. We may never have this chance again...

-Mike