BMW M3

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: BMW M3
« Reply #60 on: 12 Jan 2009, 12:19 am »
Sorry if this is completely off topic but, to BMW owners, have you found that your cars require lots of maintenance?  I have this stereotype in my mind that is probably inaccurate that German cars such as BMW, Mercedes and even Volkswagen have a tendency to need lots of maintenance.  This is coming from someone who drives a very nice and very reliable Japanese car and I've always been curious about this so just wanted to ask. 

I see my BMW dealer once a year - State Inspection and annual service. 
Years ago they had issues with new model introductions but they''ve improved significantly.

My son still has my old '91 525i.  It has somewhere around 300K hard miles, and all we have done for the past 4 years is to keep the oil changed whenever the hell we feel like it.

I have an '03 version.  In 19 months I have replaced two tires and a cupholder.  Similar experiences with several 3 series cars from the 80's.  A clutch at 170K, starter, valve job, and few problematic switches, not much else.

Double Ugly

« Reply #61 on: 12 Jan 2009, 05:32 am »
I am still not happy with the shifter.........
still evidence of notchiness.........
I'm not qualified to talk much about BMW mods, but I've seen many different types of cars have better 'stick characteristics' if the fluid was changed. Not necessarily to new O.E. fluid, but to a different type of fluid.
Just putting a bug in your ear. Point to ponder. Do your research.

Bob

Feeling as you do, you may appreciate a recent addition to my '08 Sierra Denali.  aa

JackD201

« Reply #62 on: 12 Jan 2009, 06:44 am »
Imola Red 2001 E46 M3 6-speed here. Never gave me a headache except when it comes to tires. Pilot Sports are hideously expensive here and the the fact that the tire sizes are staggered makes things worse. The solution was to put a set of Toyos on the stock 18" rims and a set of Continental ContiSport M3s on another set of BBS CH 19" rims. That way if I blow a tire I just swap out all 4 wheels until I can get the other set re-shoed so to speak. The car it replaced was a 325 M-Sport with SMG of the same color. A car that was made available only in Ireland and the Philippines. The rest of the world got the 328. I sort of miss the SMG in a way but still prefer doing the blipping myself. The E46 M3 is a wonderful car and while Porsches are sexier the fact that I can load up my trunk with my golf set won the day for the M3.

My wife however is afraid to drive it even if she's a very good driver. The ride is just too "communicative" for her tastes. As such I've been looking at the new M3 sedan. I still don't want to let go of the E46 though. Despite the large volume produced I'm still convinced that it will be a classic in the making. Perhaps not as sought after as the E30 but a classic none the less.

viggen

« Reply #63 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:19 am »
What type of fluids are we talking about?  Transmission fliud?

I am still not happy with the shifter.........
still evidence of notchiness.........
I'm not qualified to talk much about BMW mods, but I've seen many different types of cars have better 'stick characteristics' if the fluid was changed. Not necessarily to new O.E. fluid, but to a different type of fluid.
Just putting a bug in your ear. Point to ponder. Do your research.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #64 on: 12 Jan 2009, 11:59 am »
Yea, Bob the transmission fluid. How old is?
In some cases I've seen bugs fixed with different brand, viscosity, of types of fluid than what the car manufacturer installs (or recommends) O.E.
Always know what you're doing before you do this, have a lot of faith in the person whos advice your taking when you differ from recommended fluids. But I've seen notchy/sticky manuals smooth up with a little fluid tweak.

Bob

Off Topic; Jim. The 08 Denali!! Yea Baby, now we're talking.  aa SMooooooooTH, and styyyyyle.

Double Ugly

« Reply #65 on: 12 Jan 2009, 02:47 pm »
Off Topic; Jim.

It may be off-topic, but my point was in reference to your comment about using better fluids.  The Dual Remote filtration system was the first step (better lubrication & filtration), next will be the TRANSMISSION (thus my post), brake & clutch fluids, and finally I'll change the fluid in the front and rear differentials.

And you'll find my choice of automotive lubricants (Amsoil) in a *LOT* of M3s and M5s.  Check the forums.

The 08 Denali!! Yea Baby, now we're talking.  aa SMooooooooTH, and styyyyyle.

The post wasn't about the vehicle, but it's actually a SIERRA Denali.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 12 Jan 2009, 03:45 pm »
 :o OOhhhh, Sorry Jim.  :oops: I thought you where just talking about your new truck.  :duh:
Yes, Amsoil. I've heard many good things about them and Lucas, but haven't used either one.
Personally, I've used > "BG" Products <  since.... um..... the early to mid 1990s maybe....somewhere in there. Fantastic products, but not available (AFAIK) to the consumer, you'd have to find the products through a shop that carrys them.
Good stuff
Sorry again Jim  :oops: :P :wink: But I do like your new Sierra Denali. I've got a 2002 YukonXL. Love it!

Bob

viggen

« Reply #67 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:17 pm »
Thank for pointing me in the tranny oil direction.  Now just got to figure out which one or find some BMW guru I can have faith in.  Forums love the Royal Purple, Amsoil, and/or Redline.  Some people say just stick with OE. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #68 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:39 pm »
Bob, did you see THIS FORUM?

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #69 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:56 pm »
Jim, I owe you another appology. I commented about your post while viewing this thread at home. Now I'm at work at I can see the image of your oil filter. This didn't show on my PC at work.
Gee, I wonder how many pictures/images I've not been seeing since I switched my home PC to FireFox month ago?   

Bob

Double Ugly

« Reply #70 on: 13 Jan 2009, 01:35 am »
:o OOhhhh, Sorry Jim.  :oops: I thought you where just talking about your new truck.  :duh:

No problem.  I knew what you thought, but I didn't understand why.  It's clearer now that I know you couldn't see the picture.

And the truck was purchased over a year ago, so it isn't really all that new.

Yes, Amsoil. I've heard many good things about them and Lucas, but haven't used either one.

You may want to look into it.  It's far and away the best I've ever used (oil, filtration, HD grease, etc.).  It's possible something better is out there, but until I'm convinced, I'll stick with Amsoil.

FWIW, here's a guy who got nearly 1 million miles on his 5.7L-equipped van before a valve keep wore out... and he wasn't even using a dual remote.  :o

Personally, I've used > "BG" Products <  since.... um..... the early to mid 1990s maybe....somewhere in there. Fantastic products, but not available (AFAIK) to the consumer, you'd have to find the products through a shop that carrys them.
Good stuff

I've seen their products in an auto parts store, but it was years ago and I didn't give in to my curiosity about 'em.  I think I was stationed in Texas at the time.

Sorry again Jim  :oops: :P :wink: But I do like your new Sierra Denali. I've got a 2002 YukonXL. Love it!

And a  :P back atcha.  :wink:

BTW, I specified Sierra because everyone automatically thinks I own an SUV when the hear or read the word "Denali."  I use it for family trips, but I also have a spray-in bed liner and use it as trucks were intended to be used. 

Jim, I owe you another appology. I commented about your post while viewing this thread at home. Now I'm at work at I can see the image of your oil filter. This didn't show on my PC at work.

Actually there are 2 filters, thus the "Dual" part of Dual Remote Filtration System (click to see a .pdf).  Here's a pic of what I have -

Gee, I wonder how many pictures/images I've not been seeing since I switched my home PC to FireFox month ago?  

I'm using Firefox and don't have a problem viewing pictures AFAIK.  Might want to check you settings and/or those of your add-ons.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #71 on: 13 Jan 2009, 12:34 pm »
Very good information Jim. Thanks for posting the links. Regarding the M3's trans, I've not seen a pump and external cooler on very many manuals, but if there is, this could be something worth checking into for those guys too. Although, the last time I looked under the hood of a BMW there wasn't much room left to be adding things on....

Bob

TheChairGuy

« Reply #72 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:06 pm »
Yea, Bob the transmission fluid. How old is?
In some cases I've seen bugs fixed with different brand, viscosity, of types of fluid than what the car manufacturer installs (or recommends) O.E.
Always know what you're doing before you do this, have a lot of faith in the person whos advice your taking when you differ from recommended fluids. But I've seen notchy/sticky manuals smooth up with a little fluid tweak.

Bob

Bob - for the last couple hatchback 900/9-3 series...fluid change doesn't do much at all :(  The tranny moves in it's mount as they are rubbery (and get worse with age...and at higher revs)

This works great - http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_39&products_id=158 - adding only a touch of rumble at idle (no NVH noticeable at speed).  As the soft/rubbery mounts go after a decade on most SAAB's, and not dirt cheap when they do, these are far better to use.

I also have the uprated motor mounts that Genuine SAAB sells...in conjunction they keep shifts much, much tidier (tho a shorter gate would still be appreciated...and it's not Honda-like by any means still in fluidity).  However, it's now passably good with a fine easy clutch engagement that the stock car had....it's sincerely improved with these mounts to high levels of driver friendliness  :thumb:

Sorry to pull the M3 topic astray a bit  :oops:

John

twitch54

« Reply #73 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:40 pm »
Sorry to pull the M3 topic astray a bit  :oops:John

I'll pull it awaway for one more post.......... for approx the same $$$ give me the new Caddy CTS-V and it will be fun to show the M-3 boys and girls my tailights !!!

JackD201

« Reply #74 on: 13 Jan 2009, 05:09 pm »
Sorry to pull the M3 topic astray a bit  :oops:John

I'll pull it awaway for one more post.......... for approx the same $$$ give me the new Caddy CTS-V and it will be fun to show the M-3 boys and girls my tailights !!!

Just don't try it on the Nurburgring. The Caddy may have beat the M5 by a hair but the current M3 coupe beat its big brother by 3 seconds.  aa

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #75 on: 13 Jan 2009, 05:16 pm »
I test drove a brand new M3 at the Fremont Auto Mall few weeks ago.  It's a manual shift.  Within the constraints of a test drive I concluded it's not the car for me.  I'm not good enough a driver to drive that masterpiece.  However, a test drive on a 2009 135i (step) and a 2008 135i (stick, soft top) made me keep thinking about getting one this April.  Even wifey liked it:  the sound, the feel, and the price.  Most people would find it small but it fits me quite well.  Some call it "M2.5".

Can't wait.

viggen

« Reply #76 on: 13 Jan 2009, 07:22 pm »
Is there any compromise in leg room 1 series vs 3 series? 

Update on my cdv removal experience.  Unconsciously, I have been driving much faster.  Yesterday, when making a left turn, I accidentally drifted through the intersection.  I am having much more fun driving my car now. 

I am going to explore Royal Purple next.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 13 Jan 2009, 09:06 pm »
"Well, you see Officer, it was an accident........"
"No, REALLY Sir. I didn't mean to".

:icon_twisted: aa

mcgsxr

« Reply #78 on: 13 Jan 2009, 09:42 pm »
Two of the Partners I work with have current model year M3's, and I have had the pleasure of a drive (passenger and driver's seat) over the summer.  Lovely cars, like my old 318Ti, but with POWER.

I do think they are wonderful, but the old BMW I had cost me $3000 one morning, when the black box blew up with around 110K miles on it.  I could never trust that car again, and sold it within a month of having fixed it.

I will never forget the feeling of going from fast lane to offramp, and not even braking... reminded me of my old GSXR motorcycles, though with those you could accelerate off the offramp...  aa

viggen

« Reply #79 on: 13 Jan 2009, 10:20 pm »
"Officer, the car made me do it."   :nono:

"Well, you see Officer, it was an accident........"
"No, REALLY Sir. I didn't mean to".

:icon_twisted: aa