How much $$ to change brakes?

viggen

How much $$ to change brakes?
« on: 19 Jun 2007, 01:30 am »
Hello:

I have a 2003 Acura CLS auto.  My mechanic told me that I need to get my brakes changed.  He quoted me something between $500-550 for the job.  Is this is a little steep or does this sound about right?  I think my car's rotors are a bit problematic as they warp quite easily (design flaw).  So, they do need a lil bit more work on the rotor resurfacing but still...

Thanks.

Woodsea

Re: How much $$ to change brakes?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2007, 02:00 am »
Disc breaks are easy and cheap to change.  Go to a specialty shop for good pads, get to know them and for a few beer they can turn your rotors.  Though, I believe honda discs are relatively thin compared to German makes.  So they can only be turned a couple of times. My info is about 6 years old though. 

boead

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2007, 02:06 am »
Hello:

I have a 2003 Acura CLS auto.  My mechanic told me that I need to get my brakes changed.  He quoted me something between $500-550 for the job.  Is this is a little steep or does this sound about right?  I think my car's rotors are a bit problematic as they warp quite easily (design flaw).  So, they do need a lil bit more work on the rotor resurfacing but still...

Thanks.

They are changing the rotors, not cutting them I can nearly guarantee it.

That’s the majority of the cost. My old Mercedes E300 has gone through a couple of sets of rotors. The cost about $100 +/- each.

My 04 Acura has just about 25k on the original breaks. I guess it’ll be that time soon enough for me too. I really don’t want to do rotors too, that seems like a waste.

I know many replace the Acura rotors with cross drilled ones, they cool much faster and I believe they are Honda A-Spec too.

viggen

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2007, 04:17 am »
Disc breaks are easy and cheap to change.  Go to a specialty shop for good pads, get to know them and for a few beer they can turn your rotors.  Though, I believe honda discs are relatively thin compared to German makes.  So they can only be turned a couple of times. My info is about 6 years old though. 

I am not sure if German cars have bigger rotors than Japanese cars anymore. But,the rotors on my car are definitely small for the size of the car.  I think they are the same size as the ones you'd find on a civic.  That's why the rotors on my car are easier to warp as they heat up pretty quick.  I think new rotors are in my future as I just had the rotors resurfaced last year.

viggen

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2007, 04:23 am »

They are changing the rotors, not cutting them I can nearly guarantee it.

That’s the majority of the cost. My old Mercedes E300 has gone through a couple of sets of rotors. The cost about $100 +/- each.

My 04 Acura has just about 25k on the original breaks. I guess it’ll be that time soon enough for me too. I really don’t want to do rotors too, that seems like a waste.

I know many replace the Acura rotors with cross drilled ones, they cool much faster and I believe they are Honda A-Spec too.

My mechanic said my rotors didn't need to be replaced and only need resurfacing.  So, I am pretty sure the price he quoted only includes resurfacing the rotors.  And, I would love to get some higher performance rotors.  However, only those dinky civic/rsx-like rotors fit my car's brake system.  So, if I went with cross drilled or slotted, I am removing valuable mass from the rotor.  And, this can cause the rotor to heat up even quicker.  I think the only way I can get away from the small dinky rotors is if I went with an aftermarket brake system like the Brembos or Rotoras.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2007, 09:27 am »
I think changing brakes is probably one of the easiests jobs to do on a car.  The brake costs for me to do the front brakes on my car is around $350, and that's if I do them myself!  But that's because my car has special slotted brakes.  I also try not to use OEM pads, as these shed badly.  Having said that, I haven't performed any brake jobs in a while, because I don't have time to do them.  The amount you were quoted seems expensive.  What would the cost be if they simply replaced the rotors?

Nels Ferre

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2007, 12:35 pm »
Make sure when your mechanic does the brake job tat he flushes the brake fluid as well. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning that it attracts moisture, which in turn, damages the brake system.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years, regardless of mileage.

I just had brakes done on my BMW 325is, and with new rotors all around, it came in right at $550, including the brake fluid flush.

mcullinan

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2007, 01:12 pm »
400 to 450 for 2 disc, 2 drum... 4 disc around 750 in NY.
M

viggen

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2007, 04:10 pm »
I guess $500 is not a rip off price just a tad on the high side?  I guess I will do it this Saturday.  I just had a tune up, alignment and all four tires replaced earlier this year.  This car is costing me a fortune in first half '07!

mcullinan

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2007, 04:16 pm »
As a previous Pres once said "I feel your pain..."
 :D :D :D

boead

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2007, 01:53 pm »
I just dropped of my Chrysler Town and Country Van for front breaks. A set of pads, installed is $125. The rotors are fine but if they needed a cut its just $30 each.

viggen

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2008, 10:58 pm »
I just had a brake job done a few weeks ago.  Just as an after though, I'd thought I get your opinion on the price. 

I bought a BMW Z4 2003 last year with 30k on it.  It has 38k on it now.  I just replaced all four rotors, pads, and sensors for $1000.  I thought this price is appalling high.  I didn't want to shop around though.

I got the job done at an independent repair shop.

Instead of OEM pads, I opted for Akebono Euro Custom.  It is supposed to have similar stopping power as the OEM but with virtually no brake dust.  The OEM pads shed a huge amount of dust. 

Photon46

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2008, 11:22 pm »
Viggen, a grand for brake work that extensive on a Beemer is not unusual, repair work on German cars costs out the wazoo everywhere. I worked in Mercedes-Benz, Acura, Volvo, & VW dealership service management earlier in my life and the bills we handed out were astronomical. I've got friend at work that drive Benzes and Beemers that tell me the same tales of woe about repair costs. I remember computing thousand dollar tuneups on Porsche 928's twenty plus years ago. I think all German brake compounds are soft and dusty as graphite and wear quicker than average. Don't know if it's still the case, but many aftermarket brake compounds that lasted longer were very prone to chatter and squeal.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2008, 11:27 pm »
Hello:

Thanks.

Had a Honda Accord (auto) went thru brakes every 30,000 miles...folks have told me Honda (nee, Acura's) go thru brakes more rapidly than most other brands. I'm not a hard driver (at least with that car) either.

My SAAB (manual) has 70K...lots of brake left on it.

What's with the 'viggen' moniker and owning an Acura  :scratch: :icon_lol:

John

KS

« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2008, 11:32 pm »
Disc brake rotors are a wear item, and they're lighter than in the past partly due to efforts to lighten everything on the car.  Some car brands need the rotors replaced every time the pads are worn...in other cases the mechanic installs new rotors (1) because he doesn't want any comebacks, (2) he gets the markup for the parts.  Some shops always install rebuilt calipers/wheel cylinders for the same reason.  Resurfacing the rotors might be OK, and might make them so thin that they overheat and warp.

Slotted rotors are far superior to drilled rotors for a performance improvement.  Slotting does not remove a significant amount of material.

Yes to complete fluid renewal every 2~3 years for the reason listed above.  In addition, moisture free fluid adds years to the life of the calipers.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2008, 11:57 pm »
I only have a second here to reply...

If you paid $500 a year ago for front brakes on that Acura and 'only' had the rotors turned (machined) you got ganked. Hard.

Now, for that Beemer....$1,000 doesn't sound unreasonable at all at 38k for pads and rotors on four corners.
I currently work at a SAAB dealer and DAILY quote $1,000 for pads AND rotors on all four corners between 20,000 and 30,000 miles. Some manufacturers rotors are made of ~shit~ and can not be turned, even at the first brake job. As a passionate human being, I have to suck it up when I'm forced to tell someone their pads are below 5% remaining and they need pads and rotors on all four corners at 15-18,000 miles for $1,000.
I do it everyday.

My advise, if you want to go cheap, find the absolute CHEAPEST rotors you can find. Then, find the most expensive pads you can find. Then, learn how to do it yourself or find some rats-ass independant shop to install your parts.
I only tell this information to my customers I really like.  :wink:

Bob - gotta go.........sorry for typos......

Se7en

« Reply #16 on: 1 Sep 2008, 12:09 am »
I'd figure on "average" (read typical car) you should expect up to around 200 for decent pads, and around $100 to turn your rotors (provided they have enough thickness and aren't cross drilled/slotted, etc.) and 100-200 for labor depending on your area.

To replace the rotors I'd expect to add a few more hundred depending on vehicle.

This being said, I just got a quote for my "factory brembo" brakes from Jeep on my Cherokee SRT8. They went on to tell me that the rotors were never intended for re-use and cannot be resurfaced only replaced. Grand total: $1800  :evil:

viggen

« Reply #17 on: 1 Sep 2008, 04:22 am »
OK I guess I didn't over pay on the BMW brake job.  It's the same guy who did my Acura brake job a year ago.  I don't think he gives me the best deals, but his work is pretty good.  He seems pretty thorough and seems to genuinely care about my cars.  No complaints so far.

I've experienced horror stories at local dealerships.  I've been in circumstances lot worse than just being overcharged a bit.

John:  I go with the moniker Viggen since I really really liked the Saab Viggen when they first came out years ago.  Although, I was driving an Audi back then.  I've been in forums using Viggen since then.