« Reply #40 on: 28 Sep 2013, 02:46 pm »
Oh, I just had to turn my eyes away from the screen on that one :o

Guy 13

Re: Your First Car
« Reply #41 on: 28 Sep 2013, 03:09 pm »
Hi bpape and all Audio Circle members.
Beleive me or not !
I love the look of that car.
Aquarium or not, to my eyes the Pacer is a nice car.
My neighbour who was a mechanic bought a Pacer for his wife.
He did not worry about reliability, because he was the chief mechanic
for the largest used car dealer in Canada (1,000 used car at one time)

Guy 13

GT Audio Works

« Reply #42 on: 28 Sep 2013, 03:37 pm »
Second car was a big upgrade from the Triumph. I bought a 1963 Alfa Romeo Giuletta Spyder for $800. It had a high revving (7K red line) dual overhead can aluminum inline 4, and the 4 speed had synchro in first. The top could be raised and lowered with one hand from the driver's seat, and the sucker even had roll up windows. It was a really cool Italian sports car. Unfortunately most people mistook it for a Karmann Ghia.

Just beautiful...I like your taste in cars...I came very close to buying a TR-6 once but opted for a 240z instead. I have lusted after the Giuletta Spyder ...my wife's name BTW.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #43 on: 28 Sep 2013, 03:59 pm »
The first car I bought..1974 Mercury Capri....2.6 L V6 4 speed. It was a great performance car.

The Capri is what the Mustang should have been instead of the underpowered ill handling piece of junk it was at that time.
Sorry to say I owned one of those too.

When it was stolen I was not too disappointed!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #44 on: 28 Sep 2013, 04:36 pm »
Unfortunately most people mistook it for a Karmann Ghia.

Sweet rides there. Yeah, not too many folks knew what a Karmann Ghia was either. My friends did enjoy carrying me, in the car, around the parking lot the last day of High School. My 4th set of wheels, a '61, same color, though pic not mine.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #45 on: 28 Sep 2013, 04:49 pm »
A 1949 Austin A 40 Devon with sun roof. 1.2 litres and 40 hp when new. Mine felt more like 30 hp and it took forever to reach 60 mph. Brakes - what brakes? Soon swapped it for a rip-snortin' '51 Mercury flat head V8, then a 1959 MGA.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #46 on: 28 Sep 2013, 09:15 pm »

Pacer baby - otherwise known as 'the aquarium'
WAYNE'S WORLD!!!!!!!!  :thumb:

hakka26

« Reply #47 on: 1 Oct 2013, 06:39 am »
Unfortunately, mine was a POS Mazda rotary engine pick up. Life changing purchase and the only bigger POS is Mazda Corp.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #48 on: 1 Oct 2013, 11:17 am »
Mine was a 67 Chevelle. Although this isn't a picture of my car, except for the wheels it looks the same. Mine had Cragers all around. 327 with fuelie heads and a Duntov 30/30 cam, 4 speed muncey with 373 rear end.
Was pretty fast for what it was. Won quite a bit of money with that car.....to be young and insane once again! :green:

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #49 on: 1 Oct 2013, 12:03 pm »

1969 Impala, 327 hydroglide two speed trans.  Mine was not the SS version (I wish it was) but same color as the one in the picture.  I did wreck it one rainy night  OOPS  :duh:

Guy 13

« Reply #50 on: 1 Oct 2013, 12:14 pm »
Hi playntheblues and all Audio Circle members.
I had a Chevrolet Belair 1965 also with a two speed transmission.
Why would they supply as standard equipment a two speed transmission,
 is it that much more costly to supply a three speeds transmission for a big car like that ?

Guy 13

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #51 on: 1 Oct 2013, 12:52 pm »
But did you turn the air cleaner lid over to get that four barrel sound (I did and told my folks that it got better gas mileage do you think they believed me?)?    :rotflmao:

nature boy

« Reply #52 on: 1 Oct 2013, 01:16 pm »
1982 Datsun B210.  Manual transmission and no AC. 

NB

setamp

« Reply #53 on: 1 Oct 2013, 01:36 pm »
1958 VW Beetle

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #54 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:10 pm »
My first car was a 1940 Chevy business coupe.  My dad got it for me in 1955 the summer before my senior year in high school.  It came from the estate of a old local woman and was in nearly new condition with only about 10,000 miles on it.  The good old mechanic at the local garage that checked it out for me warned me that it had a splash oiling system (no oil pump - just scoops on the bottom of the connecting rods that dipped into the oil in the pan and splashed it around everywhere).  He told me that I MUST keep the speed under 55 MPH.  If I drove it faster, it would burn up the little 6 cylinder engine promptly.  I believed him and the cute little car lasted me until I got a new VW in 1960 after a nine month wait on the delivery list.  It kept me from driving fast and carelessly during my early driving years and probably kept me alive back then.  I actually drove it from Minnesota to Florida and back that Christmas by myself.  No issues at all except the state highway all the way across Georgia then was gravel. Here is a photo, mine was green.

jaywills

« Reply #55 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:17 pm »
1958 Volvo PV-444.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #56 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:34 pm »
Nice car, jaywillis. I had a 1964 PV 544 that was also white and looked very similar. Coming back from Dillon to Denver, I seized up the engine on I-70. I was quite surprised as it had never done that before.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #57 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:40 pm »
1958 Volvo PV-444.

Always loved that model of Volvo. Reminded me of a compact, sporty '40 Ford. Tried unsuccessfully to buy one from a customer on my paper route. The B-18 (iirc) engine was a screamer in it's day. 8)

jaywills

« Reply #58 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:39 pm »
Yep, two-door, three-speed on the floor (and I mean "on the floor," the gear shift was about three feet long).  Gas was 28 cents a gallon and we lived in our cars during that time (~1969).  Great car for $100 and a kid in high school.

mcgsxr

« Reply #59 on: 1 Oct 2013, 06:59 pm »
Hard to compete with some of the beauties listed so far, but given my age (early 40's) I learned to drive in a 1983 Honda Civic.

My first car however, was a 1986 Toyota Camry like this one.  Yes, the baby blue 4 door chick magnet I can assure you!

My favorite part was removing the backseat, and installing a baffle that held a 12 inch Orion subwoofer, driven by a 300w MEI amp.  The front stage was 5.25's driven by tape deck power.

For 2 weeks I drove that car around with the backseat still removed.  My buddy's Mom objected that we must have forgotten how to reinstall the seat, but I had to explain I wanted it that way...

It needed a ring job so bad it burned a quart of oil a month, and would emit a HUGE blue cloud of smoke when I started it.

I guess that is why I graduated to 2 stroke bikes!  Oil burning came naturally to me...