Another Great Engine from Suzuki

mcgsxr

Re: Another Great Engine from Suzuki
« Reply #60 on: 15 Feb 2012, 12:40 am »
Velocity stacks make lots of room where the airbox used to be, if you can run the jetting and exhaust to exploit it right.  I agree about the battery, looks like it is mounted sideways and blacked out.  Nice piece.

Reminds me of what my friends and I did to RZ350's - stacks, and no battery!  Kick start 2 strokes can get away with foolishness like that.  What a joy a 2 stroke is when it is in the powerband, but one ride on a mid to large displacement 4 stroke and all that torque gets addictive. 

That is also why folks like Ducs and other big twins - no need to spool them up to 10K rpm to get the power going.

SV1000 was a great bike back in the day too, as was the Honda v twin sportbike.

It is the soul of the Italian bikes that gets people!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #61 on: 15 Feb 2012, 12:59 am »
No I get that. In fact the Monster is on my short list. But as far as Ducati sportbikes are concerned, they're more expensive than japanese literbikes and not as fast.

And you always hear about how they run real rough until you pay extra for the termi's and ECU.
w/many ducati's you are correct.  but, in this case, the ducati will rule.  besides the fact that nothing from japan will handle like it, it is hard to argue w/195hp and 361lbs weight.

regarding the other ducati's, they are simply exquisite on the road even if they are not as fast in a straight line...

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #62 on: 15 Feb 2012, 05:27 am »
Im not familiar with this one, is it 361 wet, because that would be truly revolutionary.

Don't get me wrong, seeeeeexy bikes. You guys just have way more money than me   :green: there's no doubt I would be forced to go Japanese with a pure sports machine...

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #63 on: 15 Feb 2012, 06:08 am »
Im not familiar with this one, is it 361 wet, because that would be truly revolutionary.

Don't get me wrong, seeeeeexy bikes. You guys just have way more money than me   :green: there's no doubt I would be forced to go Japanese with a pure sports machine...
no, dry weight.  wet weight is a bit more, at 414lbs.  still phenomenal, when you consider most sportbike's dry weight is more than what this bike's wet weight is.  for example, the 2012 gsxr1000 is impressive, but not this impressive.  182hp (in-line 4cyl, 1 litre), and 448lbs dry.  and, tho cheaper than the $18k entry price for the panigale, $14k isn't chump change...

the really hi power japanese bikes, like the 2012 hyabusa, are fat pigs...  573lbs wet wt (i couldn't find a dry weight spec - 552lbs dry for the 2011 model)  194hp out of a 1340cc in-line 4...

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #64 on: 15 Feb 2012, 07:48 am »
I don't even consider the Hayabusa... Did you know the GSXR1000 outperforms it in every way? The Hayabusa is a big bike for big guys and it's verging on sport touring. However, the cool part about the busa is the motor is a big lump and there's room in there for turbos and work to be done. Those things built up can have 6-700 horsepower. Which is insane.

However, your Duc at 414 pounds wet, that is still ridiculous. There are 600's heavier than that. So a V-twin with I'm guessing about 180-185 at the tires, 414 lbs... Man, that's gotta need traction control.

And you're right, the Japanese bikes are coming up in price and tech. Still cheaper...

You know... the one I always wanted was the Desmocedici. I think it's still the king.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #65 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:17 am »
It must be repeated, though, that minute by minute, mile by mile - what really counts is handling and comfort. In terms of power what really is addictive is torque, not peak power, and this is where the twins and triples shine - also that BMW S1000RR!
http://www.cycleworld.com/2011/10/22/2012-bmw-s1000rr-first-ride/

Doesn't look as nice as the Ducati, though.

Rclark

« Reply #66 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:31 am »
Russell, where are you canoing to in that picture?

(and I'm with you there, I'm fairly certain my next machine will be agile and comfortable.)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #67 on: 15 Feb 2012, 09:12 am »

We (my son and I) are coming into Telegraph Bay which is about a block from our house in Victoria B.C.
The bay looks to the north - the Canadian Gulf Islands are visible on the horizon.
Here's the original photo and the bay itself:

JohnR

« Reply #68 on: 15 Feb 2012, 09:16 am »
Ah, fantastic pictures, Russell! That explains your avatar.

I really should catch up with this thread... if anyone would like to come to Australia and help me get my poor neglected Duc back on the road I'll give you free accommodation :green:

Rclark

« Reply #69 on: 15 Feb 2012, 10:56 am »
AMAZING shot Russell. I rent kayaks at NWOC on Lake union from time to time, the last time I went all the way out to the 520 bridge, around, and on to the ballard locks, quite a voyage.  :lol:

Still haven't been out on the open sea with one, I'd be nervous. Still, love the waters of our coast, the Sound, and the waters around BC. Gotta be one of the most beautiful places on earth.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #70 on: 15 Feb 2012, 04:49 pm »
We (my son and I) are coming into Telegraph Bay which is about a block from our house in Victoria B.C.
The bay looks to the north - the Canadian Gulf Islands are visible on the horizon.
Here's the original photo and the bay itself:

i am SO jealous!  the pac-nw is mother earth's gift to north america, imo...  i wish i could find work there...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #71 on: 15 Feb 2012, 05:26 pm »
...I really should catch up with this thread... if anyone would like to come to Australia and help me get my poor neglected Duc back on the road I'll give you free accommodation :green:
john, this might require a bit more cash outlay than free accommodation, but everything i have heard about these folks is exemplary - they even supply stuff to folks on the topside of the planet!   :lol:

http://www.veetwo.net/

doug s.

BFitz

« Reply #72 on: 16 Feb 2012, 11:15 pm »

Here's my Suzuki - the DL650. I ride this guy offroad in Vermont, W Mass., and in the NY Adirondack Park. Very reliable L twin fuel injected engine. Starts every spring with no hassles. 

Also have a DRZ400S, but spend most time on the DL. Sometimes guys on ATVs, in the middle of nowhere on pretty rough terrain, can't believe I rode it in there. It gets pretty hairy going up and down rocky mountain trails.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #73 on: 17 Feb 2012, 01:22 am »
wery nice, bob!   :thumb:  but - "L twin"?  is one cylinder shorter than the other?   :lol:  do ya think sazook shoulda named it the L-strom?   :green:

those wee's are wery nice; i am looking forward to riding a 1000cc iteration this spring, owned by an extended family member...  interesting that you would take the wee-strom places where your drz would be more at home.  i guess getting to & from those places is mo' better on the wee?   :wink:

not sure if you have been thru this thread or not, bob, but if you scroll back, you will see i am also partial to v-2's and thumpers.   :thumb:

doug s.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #74 on: 17 Feb 2012, 01:55 am »
An old Moto Guzzi buddy of mine (now in France) went from a HarLee to a Ducati to a Moto Guzzi Griso and is in love.  He even got a Guzzi engine tattoo so I guess he's stuck with it.
They might be worth a look.
I put over 250,000 miles on Guzzis over the years.  They're right inbetween the BMW for touring and the Ducatis for sport.
AB, change out that 16" front wheel if you haven't already and add some decent forks.  Mine had Astralites and a 40mm Ceriani made for a Ducati.
If I could swing it, my next bike would be an MV. 
This one would do just fine!  It's not exactly very practical but so what.

BFitz

« Reply #75 on: 17 Feb 2012, 02:43 am »
wery nice, bob!   :thumb:  but - "L twin"?  is one cylinder shorter than the other?   :lol:  do ya think sazook shoulda named it the L-strom?   :green:

those wee's are wery nice; i am looking forward to riding a 1000cc iteration this spring, owned by an extended family member...  interesting that you would take the wee-strom places where your drz would be more at home.  i guess getting to & from those places is mo' better on the wee?   :wink:

not sure if you have been thru this thread or not, bob, but if you scroll back, you will see i am also partial to v-2's and thumpers.   :thumb:

doug s.

Hi Doug;

Yes, Learned to ride the steep rocks on the DRZ, but many days are 6 hours in the saddle, and the DL650 is more comfortable than the torture monging stock DRZ seat. I keep meaning to get a corbin, but really wonder if I should be going for a DR650 or KLR650 instead.
After seeing what guys on their BMW GS over at ADVrider, i figure I can give it a go on the DL.
Yes, I noticed your Ducati and DR, as well as the Buell. NICE machines. BTW, who do think Suzuki copied with that L twin engine from?  :thumb:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-Ducati-Superquadro-195hp90LtwinEngine.htm

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #76 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:18 am »
An old Moto Guzzi buddy of mine (now in France) went from a HarLee to a Ducati to a Moto Guzzi Griso and is in love.  He even got a Guzzi engine tattoo so I guess he's stuck with it.
They might be worth a look.
I put over 250,000 miles on Guzzis over the years.  They're right inbetween the BMW for touring and the Ducatis for sport.
AB, change out that 16" front wheel if you haven't already and add some decent forks.  Mine had Astralites and a 40mm Ceriani made for a Ducati.
If I could swing it, my next bike would be an MV. 
This one would do just fine!  It's not exactly very practical but so what.

guzzi's are cool.  no way i'm gonna tattoo one on me, tho!   :lol:  one of my fave bikes at the recent motorcycle show in dc was the li'l guzzi v7 racer - simply beautiful, and quite comfortable to sit on.  pics don't do it justice, it actually looks even better in real life:

my wife has an old guzzi t3, but we'll likely never see it again, as she abandoned it w/her ex when she moved back east 10 years ago:

now, the mv's are nice, but...  the f4 has about the same hp as the duc panigale w/an in-line 4, and almost 50 lbs heavier, and at least $10k more expensive...  i think i would stick w/the duc...

another contender, at $40k - don't forget about the new buell 1190rs - "only" 175hp, but 389lbs wet, (w/o gas - equals 416lbs total); and, a stunner.  and only 100 being made in 2012:

ymmv,

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #77 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:26 am »
Hi Doug;

Yes, Learned to ride the steep rocks on the DRZ, but many days are 6 hours in the saddle, and the DL650 is more comfortable than the torture monging stock DRZ seat. I keep meaning to get a corbin, but really wonder if I should be going for a DR650 or KLR650 instead.
After seeing what guys on their BMW GS over at ADVrider, i figure I can give it a go on the DL.
Yes, I noticed your Ducati and DR, as well as the Buell. NICE machines. BTW, who do think Suzuki copied with that L twin engine from?  :thumb:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-Ducati-Superquadro-195hp90LtwinEngine.htm

wow - so, all this time, i thought ducs were v-2's, now i learn they're L-2's!  i guess they use that designation cuz the "v" is 90deg.

ya, your dl650 is a toy, compared to those big adv bimmers...  the drz seat sounds yust like the stock dr650 seat - i couldn't last more than 15 minutes on a stock dr seat - corbin/sargent/etc - mandatory!!!  if you get a dr, i would still recommend the aftermarket seat!

and, i did a bit of research - while the klr's have their fans, i think that, overall, the dr is a much better bike, especially after proper carb/exhaust/suspension mods...  buy used! 

doug s.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #78 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:47 am »

That's an engineering masterpiece. I'm glad they finally got completely away from the shaft driving the desmo valve gear. A chain is so much more efficient. That is an amazing bore to stroke ratio (1.84:1), and I suppose it is the main factor accounting for the insane amount of power from a twin of that size. It does make me wonder what the point would be at which there is no further advantage to be gained by going further over square.

Interesting how the dominant configurations in engines is still the piston type - not fundamentally changed from the 1880s. The cone/voice coil speaker was also patented in 1881, I  believe, and is still completely dominates.

Rclark

« Reply #79 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:51 am »

I dunno these mylar panels have me convinced the cone isn't all that  :green: