Another Great Engine from Suzuki

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Another Great Engine from Suzuki
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2012, 12:49 am »
might as well:

http://www.scooterdepot.us/
damn!  how would you know which model to get?  it looks like "retail" has nothing to do w/the real cost - some of the ">$3k" scoots look no better/different than the "<$2k" models.   :scratch:  but, it would definitely be cheap transport.   me, personally, i would still hold out for a real motorcycle, <$1k.  they can be found.  something about those small wheels and max 50mph doesn't do it for me.  but, i have been into motorcycles since before i was a teenager!   :green:

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:02 am »
I used to think you'd never catch me dead on one  :green:  I've had cbr 600f2, cbr 900rr, Ninja 600, and FZR 600.

But for my transpo needs, after getting to spend some time on one, they're really perfect dirt cheap get-around's.

I still want to get a real bike before the summer. I just hooked up with an old buddy who has a Buell and a GSXR1000 and I want to be able to ride with him too.

For cheap transpo, I'd rather do a brand new scoot than an old used "$1000" bike.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2012, 02:45 am »
...For cheap transpo, I'd rather do a brand new scoot than an old used "$1000" bike....
do you believe those scooters will be more reliable?  maybe, but i am not so sure...   :dunno:  if you do go the scoot route, i hope it works out for you!   :D

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2012, 03:57 am »
I dunno? I would think so, pretty simple, right?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2012, 04:11 am »
I dunno? I would think so, pretty simple, right?
i am simply questioning the build quality, and awailability of parts...  again, i really don't know much about all these cheap chinese scooters - they may be really great,  i simply don't know enough about them...  but for only $700?  wtf?  give it a shot - the most you can lose is $700, even if it's a total bust!   :thumb:

doug s.

Bemopti123

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:03 am »
i wanted a darmah since i first saw one up close in ~'80.  i finally got one in ~1999.  my duc is no show bike; it gets ridden:

some day, it will get repainted and decal'd...

doug s.

I got to love that wool sock faceplate mask.....hahahaha.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:11 am »
I got to love that wool sock faceplate mask.....hahahaha.
hey bud - that's cotton!!!  :green:  all my used worn out undies end up in the garage as rags.  that sock used to be white!   :lol:  no sense in having the license plate out on the web...

doug s.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jan 2012, 08:44 pm »
That looks beautiful, Doug. It'll be all the sweeter with decals. I looks like a really comfortable riding position too, like my old '74 BMW R90S, where the intention was that the wind over the top of the 1/4 fairing would take most of the weight off your wrists at "elevated" speeds.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #28 on: 13 Jan 2012, 12:19 am »
Wonderful Duck bike, very nice seat tail set.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2012, 12:41 am »
That looks beautiful, Doug. It'll be all the sweeter with decals. I looks like a really comfortable riding position too, like my old '74 BMW R90S, where the intention was that the wind over the top of the 1/4 fairing would take most of the weight off your wrists at "elevated" speeds.
yup - the slightly leaned forward position is definitely the most comfortable, imo.  i am familiar w/that iteration of bmw; i baby-sat one for a summer, when my bud was off in europe.   8) they are quite similar in many ways.  if i had more room and more money, a wintage airhead would be in the stable...

the darmah is almost as comfortable as my buell, which allows for a little bit more legroom.  i think i might need to get some clip-on's for my 'motard - it's a tad-bit too upright for my taste.  but, i can slide back on the seat, and it's better...

fullrangeman, the early darmah has the nickname of "ducktail" for a reason. :D

doug s.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2012, 09:52 pm »
Some M109 grasing in the parking lot...

doug s.

• makin' music

Rclark

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2012, 04:49 am »
Those are killer bikes, always liked em.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2012, 05:07 am »
Classic after market fairing on the Darmah.
Sold my Ducati ST 4 for an Aprilia Caponard but now I am going to get another ST 4 cuz my garage just feels weird without it.
Favorite of all time is the MHR ... :kiss:
Mike Hailwood Replica of Isle of Man fame.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 15 Jan 2012, 08:58 pm »
Stressed from city life?  Looking for some rural music with milk, toast, coffee, sausage?
Search no more, try this music for cows in a refined French version of a classic Rock album.
Please Note:
The milk represents the main cow, the balerinas are the cattle grasing on the farm, the trombones and tuba made the bovine moo.  Very French:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phOfA74AYE4

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuAZB_NoUG4  Annoying ugly rasta guitarist

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB9P4pN_dXM&feature=related

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhu2I0Wk3Vs

Rclark

« Reply #35 on: 22 Jan 2012, 12:38 am »
Doug I think I'm gonna skip the scoot and go right to bike in the late spring. Right now I like Honda vfr, cbr f4i, 600rr, 919 hornet, 599 hornet, triumph street triple, Duc Monster, .. Or some cruiser. A couple other not off the top of my head.

mfsoa

« Reply #36 on: 22 Jan 2012, 12:07 pm »
Rclark, I have a low-miles (< 11,000) 1998 VFR800 for you in NJ if you are interested.

-Mike

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #37 on: 22 Jan 2012, 04:24 pm »
Doug I think I'm gonna skip the scoot and go right to bike in the late spring. Right now I like Honda vfr, cbr f4i, 600rr, 919 hornet, 599 hornet, triumph street triple, Duc Monster, .. Or some cruiser. A couple other not off the top of my head.
of the bikes you mentioned, i would be considering the vfr or the monster.  i prefer v-motors.  (i also like thumpers and boxers.)  i would add to the list 90's duc ss, 'tarded suzuki dr650, suzuki drz400sm, suzuki sv650/1000, any older bmw airhead, or any of the tube frame buells.  all these bikes won't cost a fortune - either to own or to buy - and will prowide lotsa economical fun times...

doug s.

mcgsxr

« Reply #38 on: 22 Jan 2012, 04:45 pm »
I would go VFR with that list.  Friendly power band, lots of power, reliable, and comfortable. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #39 on: 22 Jan 2012, 04:56 pm »
I would go VFR with that list.  Friendly power band, lots of power, reliable, and comfortable.
all that is true about the vfr.  but it's also true of the others.  actually, the vfr would be last on my list, simply because the other bikes are more interesting.  the vfr is more appliance-like.  don't get me wrong, i think it is a great bike, and will likely be having the opportunity to ride one wery soon.   8)  and i owned and loved its precursor the original '83 vf750.  but, i simply like bikes that have some undefinable character to them...  as good a bike as the vfr is, there's something bland about its character that simply leaves me wanting something else...

ymmv,

doug s.