GR Research for sale? Really?

sl_1800

Re: GR Research for sale? Really?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Feb 2014, 09:58 pm »
Danny I hope you find a buyer and move forward as you dream.  Best of luck!!

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #21 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:11 am »
Danny,

I'm saddened that you plan to sell your company,  but I certainly understand your reasons for wanting to do so.  I want to wish you the very best in your new endeavors and hope that it will allow you more time for product design and development. Thank you for all your help and contributions to the DIY audio community. Also, for all the wonderful speaker system designs that you have developed so far. I feel confident that you will be selling your business only to someone who has as much passion about speakers and helping others as you do. The only thing that concerns me is hopefully the products want take a big price increase once the business is sold.

Ron

Congrats on :having both the expertise and focus to build the company in the first place
                       :the degree of success you've had to be able to sell it
                       :the desire to stay connected to something you love.

I'm sure it'll remain in good hands. There are enough knowledgeable people on these forums to put together a pretty impressive "A List" of folks to go to get the best bang for the buck in the audio industry, and it sounds to me like you're going to remain one of them. And "out sourcing" the grunt work and sticking with what you love just makes the whole picture that much brighter.

harley52

« Reply #22 on: 6 Feb 2014, 07:12 pm »
Danny,
 I'm so happy for you. If anyone deserves to do what you'd like to do, it's you. For me, you've been a light in a very dark place. You've always been an inspiration to me and I'm sure to many, many others. The person I truly trust on all matters of audio is you. You're an up front guy and your honesty are to be admired. I never had a feeling of being talked down to when I'd e-mail you.

I hope you find someone who can take complicated issues and explain it so the average person would understand as you have for us. May your future be so bright that you need to wear shades every waking moment. Again, I'm so happy for you!!!!

Steve

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #23 on: 6 Feb 2014, 07:38 pm »
Danny,
 I'm so happy for you. If anyone deserves to do what you'd like to do, it's you. For me, you've been a light in a very dark place. You've always been an inspiration to me and I'm sure to many, many others. The person I truly trust on all matters of audio is you. You're an up front guy and your honesty are to be admired. I never had a feeling of being talked down to when I'd e-mail you.

I hope you find someone who can take complicated issues and explain it so the average person would understand as you have for us. May your future be so bright that you need to wear shades every waking moment. Again, I'm so happy for you!!!!

Steve

From what I read in the initial post, I wouldn't be surprised to be seeing even more of Danny in this forum if he get's the right deal.

If you can free up some time by somehow farming out some tasks that are LESS fun, get some reward back, and do more of what you enjoy more - then why not go for it? Looks like a no brainer to me.

oldman45

« Reply #24 on: 6 Feb 2014, 09:52 pm »
I hope things go well for you, Danny.  You have a lot of skill and experience and the drive to take adavantage of it.  Frankly, you are such an integral part of your company, I don't see how it would survive without you.  Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best.

persisting1

« Reply #25 on: 6 Feb 2014, 10:14 pm »
From what I read in the initial post, I wouldn't be surprised to be seeing even more of Danny in this forum if he get's the right deal.

If you can free up some time by somehow farming out some tasks that are LESS fun, get some reward back, and do more of what you enjoy more - then why not go for it? Looks like a no brainer to me.

During a season, being a head coach is a full time job.

I hope you're right  :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #26 on: 6 Feb 2014, 11:14 pm »
Wish I could buy your business. Loudspeaker building has been my passion since I was about 11. Manufacturing is NOT.

cujobob

« Reply #27 on: 7 Feb 2014, 03:13 pm »
This is a huge shocker to me. I love GR Research and Danny's work in general. While I don't follow audio as much these days, I always check out Danny's new projects. I don't really see the value in selling GR vs simply opening a company and contracting Danny for work to be quite honest. I think Danny's best course would be to work a deal with someone like Parts Express or Madisound (assuming they're still around). All of the cool design work and they're already set up for that scenario. No idea if they'd be interested but it would be great for all. Good luck to everyone going forward and enjoy life however you choose to.

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 7 Feb 2014, 03:21 pm »
I don't really see the value in selling GR vs simply opening a company and contracting Danny for work to be quite honest.

Starting a new company takes years to develop. In this economy chances of success of a new start up in this industry are slim. GR Research is a well established business that is doing well even in this difficult economy. A new owner would be walking into a business with an immediate profit stream. That doesn't happen with a start up.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #29 on: 7 Feb 2014, 05:47 pm »
Danny best of luck whatever you decide. You are a talented honest Man who has made many happy and fed your family. If it were me, instead of selling a respected and valuable business why not consider hiring a person on salary to run it. No loss of your baby and time for other ventures or consulting.
    There has to be someone out there in your area qualified for such. Lots of unemployed people out there.  Do not give up the Ship yet my friend. Again best of luck with your decision.

charles

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #30 on: 7 Feb 2014, 07:06 pm »
Danny best of luck whatever you decide. You are a talented honest Man who has made many happy and fed your family. If it were me, instead of selling a respected and valuable business why not consider hiring a person on salary to run it. No loss of your baby and time for other ventures or consulting.
    There has to be someone out there in your area qualified for such. Lots of unemployed people out there.  Do not give up the Ship yet my friend. Again best of luck with your decision.

charles

Speaking only from my own experience, running a business (even the smallest and least successful ones such as my own) is a major hassle unless you just enjoy all the extra administrative work involved. Then add in even ONE  worker -  there's just so much extra stuff to deal with that is totally unrelated to what most people loved about their work in the first place that at some point you just want to be rid of that extra stuff that has no relation whatsoever to what you really love  to do. Best scenario in that situation would be to offload the extra stuff in such a way as to allow you to stay involved in what you love about your work, and the best way to do that sometimes is to sell the business, remain involved in the field and serve as a consultant to the business.

But, bottom line, it's Danny's business. I'm confident that it will work out and that he'll get a deal that's best for all involved and that these forums will continue to provide invaluable information for those of us interested in all aspects of this industry/hobby/obsession..

IronForge

« Reply #31 on: 9 Feb 2014, 04:36 am »
The best thing about GR research is, well, Danny!   Danny you have been great to work with and always available to answer my questions.  Whoever steps in to fill your shoes will need to bring their A game regarding customer service!

persisting1

« Reply #32 on: 9 Feb 2014, 06:01 am »
The best thing about GR research is, well, Danny!   Danny you have been great to work with and always available to answer my questions.  Whoever steps in to fill your shoes will need to bring their A game regarding customer service!

+1  :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #33 on: 9 Feb 2014, 06:03 am »

+1  :thumb:

fredgarvin

« Reply #34 on: 9 Feb 2014, 07:21 am »
  :)

rockdrummer

« Reply #35 on: 9 Feb 2014, 02:27 pm »
Well, being able to do business with a company as reliable and helpful as GR is rare. Being able to be part of a forum directly related to said business is even more rare. Congrats to your past and future success. Just hope I can get super v bottoms before it is too late. Hahaha.
Ben

bdp24

« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2014, 09:38 am »
If it weren't for you Danny, I guess myself and others would never have had the foundation laid for our bass-shy main speakers (panels, ribbons, and mini-monitors). Life without quality music is not worth living!
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2014, 10:45 am by bdp24 »

richidoo

« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:40 pm »
Congratulations on your decision, Danny! Instead of going out the bottom like so many startup audio companies who fail, you are going out on top, towards something even better. You've mastered your business and are now ready for a new chapter, something new to master, to evolve beyond what you are now.    I wish you the best, and I know you will be a great success in whatever you do.
Rich

skeeter99

« Reply #38 on: 11 Feb 2014, 02:43 pm »
Really wish you the best of luck Danny in whatever ends up coming out of this! I can completely see your reasoning behind the move and hope it is as profitable and rewarding for you as GR has been.

Scott

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #39 on: 14 Feb 2014, 09:29 am »
That's too bad. I wish there were more start up companies in the usa, that would see more growth and stability.  GR seems like a very good company that deserves the best.

I hope it all works out for the best. We need more businesses,  good businesses,  based right here,  in the USA.