Difficult problems, hard to fix...

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Difficult problems, hard to fix...
« on: 7 Mar 2019, 06:30 pm »
Bryston repair failed to bring the unit back to the marvelous sound when new. They fixed the little problem with the mute relay, but what ever was really a problem was missed. (I clearly stated the device was not up to the level when it was new, first few years.) The sound was not as good as it was when I bought it. I cannot really blame them, but it sits in the closet, not in use. Since several other phono preamps I own sound better than the Bryston BP-1.5 I would add I can understand fixing stuff which is just under performing a little, but not broken must be a service Hell, only a genius could solve well..    To me the problem if a slightly under-performing unit is really difficult to solve. A service guy could replace a fortune in parts and still not find the issue. So I have no beef with Bryston. Just a little sad.

I wrote that in another site when asked about problems with etc.
Any thoughts?

Added: I love my BP-26 and 4B-SST² The BP1.5 sat after i thought it was the Benz Glder had failed. lean sound.. Then I plugged the Glider into a Audio Illusions Modulus 3a .and wow the cart is fine. Then the BP-1.5 mute relay got stuck when I plugged t back in after sitting for a few years. So I sent it in, to be fixed. I guess the shipping knocked the mute free. (dealer also tested it prior to sending)
Mostly I can relate to how hard it must be to fix something not broken, yet fails to please as it once did.
Bryston might have a resident genius to solve these sorts of things. I own so many phono preamps I am not pushing for it to be solved..

brucek

Re: Difficult problems, hard to fix...
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2019, 08:29 pm »
The sound was not as good as it was when I bought it. I cannot really blame them, but it sits in the closet, not in use. ....

Mostly I can relate to how hard it must be to fix something not broken, yet fails to please as it once did. ....

Bryston might have a resident genius to solve these sorts of things......

I don't think anyone has to be a genius to test if a phono preamp meets its specifications. It's fairly basic and well understood by anyone in electronics and certainly by Bryston.

Generally an amplifier that meets its THD+N specifications will sound the same as it did from the date of manufacture.  Amplifiers are linear systems, and should not change the spectral characteristics of a signal that passes through them. The specification that defines that ability is THD+N. This is easily measured with test equipment that Bryston would have.

A phono preamp adds another twist in that it must compensate for the frequency velocity characteristics in which a record was cut with an inverse RIAA filter. The specifications of this filtering must meet strict requirements, but again this is easily measured by someone at Bryston.

It wouldn't be unheard of that a component had changed slightly in the RIAA inverse filter, and I don't see why you couldn't get Bryston to ensure your unit met its specs.

brucek

Elizabeth

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2019, 04:21 pm »
Nice thought. I am sure the phono box 'meets specs'. What it does not have it the subtle beauty it once had.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2019, 06:28 pm »
Nice thought. I am sure the phono box 'meets specs'. What it does not have it the subtle beauty it once had.

Seems more like you don't have the subtle appreciation for it's sound anymore. Or, maybe it's finally finished the break-in process.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2019, 06:41 pm »
Seems more like you don't have the subtle appreciation for it's sound anymore. Or, maybe it's finally finished the break-in process.

Or is into the aging process now.  :lol:

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2019, 07:05 pm »
If it's really old, could be the capacitors aging.  Replacing them might wake it up.  There are a lot of really high-quality caps available now.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2019, 07:19 pm »
Nobody can fix subjective. If it measures the same as when new, then as a manufactured product it is the same. I don't doubt it doesn't sound the same to you, but no one can fix that. Your system has evolved, and the way you listen has evolved, but I think the phono stage is the same. Put it up for sale and let someone else enjoy it.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2019, 08:49 pm »
Nobody can fix subjective. If it measures the same as when new, then as a manufactured product it is the same. I don't doubt it doesn't sound the same to you, but no one can fix that. Your system has evolved, and the way you listen has evolved, but I think the phono stage is the same. Put it up for sale and let someone else enjoy it.

There is a difference between a unit being in spec and a unit measuring the same as before. And then there's the BIG question of what differences are audible or meaningful. I double the unit had past measurements that could be used to determine if it has changed.

I am with you. Sell it to someone who will enjoy it and move on.

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:13 pm »

I don't agree.  Many of the analog measurements that are made are steady-state, not using transient voltages.  These are the kinds of things that degrade over time due to capacitor aging.

Steve N.

Elizabeth

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:34 pm »
Yeah.
As far as selling it.. I would never sell something that was not right to someone who did not know better.

brucek

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:53 pm »
Yeah.
As far as selling it.. I would never sell something that was not right to someone who did not know better.

You sound like someone that takes care of their equipment, so I'm sure it would sell quite quickly.

You could advertise it at a discount price as a unit that is in perfect condition and meets all its specifications, but appears to have lost its "subtle beauty it once had".

I'll bet there would be a lot of takers and you would have been honest in your pitch.

brucek

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:56 pm »
I don't agree.  Many of the analog measurements that are made are steady-state, not using transient voltages.  These are the kinds of things that degrade over time due to capacitor aging.

Steve N.

Agree with your assessment.  Cap aging is an issue with older electronics.