Do you want to tell us about your Virtue system?

tabrink

• lake life is good
Do you want to tell us about your Virtue system?
« on: 29 Aug 2010, 05:52 am »
Thanks to Seth, My system consists of an  Eastern Electric tubed preamp feeding two Sensations  with  one needing a buffer upgrade when Gary slows down.
Imac, and Piano M1  to two DACS , Eastern Electric  and Maverick Tubed Magic feeding my  awesome Omega SuperHemps through the EE pre.!
This is sonic heaven right now.
What is unique about your rig?

« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2010, 01:34 am by tabrink »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Do you want to tell us about your Virtue system?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:09 pm »
I have a Virtue TWO.2 driving some vintage JBL's, A Piano M1 on the way to go along with my Squeezebox DUET feeding a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 thats used as a passive preamp. The signal then goes into a GF B-283 Tube Buffer and on to the TWO.2. This is the best sounding setup I have ever owned, I'm excited about hearing the Piano's DAC and look forward to spinning those little silver disks!!!
 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2010, 06:51 pm »
I have sensation 901 being fed by Red Wine mod Olive,RW Isabellina dac,Dodd tube buffer,Gr OB 7s,waiting on Dodd class D to power DYI sub. Nothing I've ever owned ever came close to sounding this good .

mamba315

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2010, 02:10 am »
Mine's a desktop system.  Sounds great near and mid field.

Tweaked Mac Mini, AIFF files, Pure Music (RAM buffered playback is a huge improvement)
Tranquility DAC and USB cable from dbaudiolabs
Sensation M901 and interconnects from Virtue, Dodd battery, upcoming Dodd tube buffer
Gallo Strada speakers

Sounds great with all music, from George Winston to Gorillaz 8)

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2010, 02:47 am »
Sensation 901 W/ modded caps
Piano with some stabilization tweaks
One.2 for when I'm in the mood :)
Dual Vinyl spinner W/ Grado needle (nothing extravagant)
all virtue IC's and SP cables
JT Dynamic PSU
JT Dynamic power cables
JT Dynamic power conditioner/filter (my own brew)
Lucidity Audio Prophet 3 way towers (again my own brew)

huge sound stage with great imaging lots of bass attach and control but still gentle enough to keep the edge away. I spent 2 years tuning these speakers and each time we move I tune them to the new room instead of tunning the room to them :) the Sensation is a good match and causes foot tapping on many occasions when people are over listening  :D

dba

• demand better audio
    • Demand Better Audio
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:57 am »
Review System:
Virtue Audio Sensation M901 + Dodd Bufffer - Formula Envy Black Edition
Virtue Audio Piano M1 - Formula Envy Black Edition
Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnect 0.5m
dba Pit-Perch Isolation rack
dba Envy3 3-way - Black Edition
dba VPL 4-399 cabling

Referencing System:
Virtue Audio TWO.2 - Formula Checker-Board
Virtue Audio Piano M1 - Formula Checker-Board
Virtue Audio Speed Freak Interconnect
iPod Classic
dba VPP MP3 interconnect (3.5mm - RCA.....the better way to connect an iPod, unless you've spent heavy at Red Wine Audio)
dba Envy2 2-way - Formula Checker-Board
dba Pleaser Sub-woofer - Formula Checker-Board
Hypex UcD Twin 180 off-board amplifier (Sub)

The spherical nature of the speakers realises a level of spaitiality hard to equal with any other design and the material properties of the Carbon/Kevlar mix used for the enclosures ensure a very minimum resonance and diffraction level in any space. The Review system is for sheer pleasure and is not compressed audio friendly where-as the Reference system is more suited to a generalised listeners taste and can be enjoyed with or withour Subwoofer.

...demand better audio... :thumb:

Mama Virtue

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2010, 06:51 pm »
hmmmm, I don't really have a Virtue system yet. I just get to play with everything and make sure it works. However, one of these days I will get a bedroom system set up, here's the config I want :)

Custom set of either the speakers I designed OR just a pair of the bookshelves Jason built a while back with ribbon tweeters, I want them veneered in either a really dark wood (have an espresso sidebar to match...) or Zebrawood to add some contrast. And then a Red Brick TWO.2 with a Silver faced Piano, top veneered to match the speakers and Redbrick columned sides/buttons.

Of course....when I change the bedcovers (currently red) to our light blue and lime green comforter I might just have to change the columns and TWO.2 Wrap to Cloud blue  :wink: .....hey what can I say? Everyone should be buying spare sides and covers for these things, switching them out to match the changing seasons (Yellow for summer, red for Fall, white for winter, blue for spring), or just to match changed curtains/furniture etc.... :roll:

Ok ok, sorry I do think a little like a woman!!

TrungT

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:22 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^
Ok to think like a "WOMAN"  :lol: :lol: :lol:
YOU ARE ....
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
 :wave: :wave: :wave: Cami

Mama Virtue

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:25 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^
Ok to think like a "WOMAN"  :lol: :lol: :lol:
YOU ARE ....
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
 :wave: :wave: :wave: Cami

LOL, yes, and I'm pretty sure Jason is quite happy with that fact :rotflmao:

Sparky14

« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2010, 09:13 pm »
Sure, mine is....

GR Research N2X speakers, with upgraded gizmos and thingakabobbies. (Sorry, I'm not a DIY guy, just bought it made with upgraded somethings)
Two av123 ULW-10 subs
Oppo DV-980H universal player
Ditton Elan integrated amp

Hey wait, there's no Virtue there.

I'll update tomorrow, my Sensation (also with upgraded thingamabobbies) is due to arrive.

dburna

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2010, 10:02 pm »
They say 'tis better to have loved and lost, but I dunno.....

I shipped back the AC Tour Sensation 451 (stock) to Gary Dodd early this week.  I think the plan is to install a tube buffer and make it available for more in-home demos.  The Sensation had been doing duty in our basement A/V system.  For years, we have had an old/crappy 26" conventional TV with a good sound system to support it.  People sometimes debate which is more important for enjoyment of a movie -- a big screen/HDTV or good sound.  I'm here to state that the sound is hands-down more important.

We've held off on a big-screen TV for financial reasons, and the old warhorse TV has been fine for movies as long as the sound (bargain DVD player --> Sensation --> Omega Aperiodic 8's with upgraded non-Alnico hemp drivers) remains stellar.  Since the Sensation went back (I don't have its upgraded replacement yet), I've had to plug the DVD player back into the crap-ass TV speakers.  It's a sad, sad substitute for a decent home-movie experience.  I watched "Shutter Island" last night (not a stellar film, but Thelma Schoonmaker -- Scorsese's long-time cinematographer -- did some very nice work).  What a blah evening.  Almost not worth bothering.

Did I miss the Sensation?  Oh, you betcha (as they say in MN).  Once your expectations get raised, it's hard to go back.  Well, hopefully I'll get the new upgraded Sensation before too long.  Until then....I think I'll read a book.   :roll:

Best, -dB
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2010, 12:16 am by dburna »

CSI

« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2010, 04:01 am »
Years ago when I first segued from 2-channel retailing to custom home theater installations I had an interesting conversation with Tom Holman. He said they ran formal experiments at THX with small, non-audiophile audiences chosen at random. They would show a movie clip using a state-of-the-art projector and screen but with the sound fed through a single small mono speaker in front. Then they rolled out a 13" black and white TV, showed the same clip, but with the sound fed through their latest and greatest THX system. Almost everyone agreed that the premium sound system made the movie much more fun to watch with substantially greater emotional impact. Most of them said if they were to be deprived of one or the other they'd give up the big screen.
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2010, 02:51 pm by CSI »

CSI

« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2010, 03:14 pm »
My Virtue system is an M451 (with buffer), all black with sycamore top
Speakers are ACI Sapphires, filtered at the amp with the lows fed to an ACI Force Subwoofer
Cables are a combo of Audience Conductor (speakers) and Anticable interconnects
Sources are:
Qsonix server
Mac mini server
Empirical Audio modded Sony transport
Sonos
I mostly use the Qsonix (best sound) and Sonos (most convenient)
ALL sources go through my Red Wine Audio Isabellina DAC which will soon be upgraded to LFP-V edition

I've always wanted a system that would give me lots of detail including front to back depth but without any harshness or edginess.
Thanks to the sale inspired by the soon to be new Mrs. Krinsky, I've finally got it.
Happy camper.

Have a good Labor Day weekend everyone.

funkle

« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2010, 03:24 am »
I started a similar thread a week ago:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85163.0