A New tiny amp in town.

2bigears

A New tiny amp in town.
« on: 11 Dec 2022, 05:37 pm »
 :D hello all AC peeps. I ordered a 1000 dollar amp to see how it compares to my old heavy class A going south on me. (Getting old like me)   The new one is Class D and I really can't wait to hit the power button on the little 5 pound circuit boards. Should have it this week. Got 15 days to try it which is kinda tight. The big question will be if this puppy can satisfy.  Santa came early ,,,, or did he ? ☃️🎅🏻🎶🎶☃️

Bemopti123

Re: A New tiny amp in town.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2022, 08:17 pm »
How is the Class A amp going down south? Sonically?  Is there are built as amps of yore, they shouldn't be too difficult to bring it up to spec.  In all my years of doing this hobby, I still haven't found something radically different, either in size or price, that can replace the traditional amps I have. 

Class D...for me is...not what I have running in my main system. Most of my amps are primarily A/B running closer to A. 

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2022, 08:45 pm »
 :D well seeing I don't have a lotta $$ to not spend on good food ,  ha, I thought I'd try the 'D'.  My big X250 Pass is in need of a major tuneup. My location is just to get it there, $400.00 away from the shop that can look at her. Not even the cost of the repair at $$$$ per hour.  If these little babies are as good as what they are saying,, I will be shocked. I'm sure after a week of hard burn I should know. Gotta have the majority of the sonics showing after a week or so.  :popcorn: :D

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2022, 09:48 pm »
Yes, those behemoth sized Pass Amps are a royal pain to service unless you have a competent tech near.  Oh brother.  The heaviest amp I have is 65 lbs.  what class D amp did you get?  How does it compare sonically with the Pass?  Wattage? 

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2022, 11:39 pm »
 :D Class D Audio .... I'm in Canada with a shitty dollar. But instead of having no amp for weeks and spending a grand fixing the 100 pounder, I thought I would try this D out.  With the old amp still here I can A/B the amps but it might not be fair seeing the big boy is old and sick.  If it holds up to the hype and not just the flavour of the month,  I can fix the Pass and retest them again. And if they are even close in sonics the heavy is going on the auction block. Heavy and power hungry is old school. But that Mr. Pass does know how to build and that's for sure. 🎶🎅🏻🎶

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2022, 12:57 am »
I heard that GaN chip in Orchard Audio Starkrimson amp a while back. I was very impressed with it! What I couldn’t believe was how it was manhandling my big speakers with low impedance so easily, and the owner showed me that the actual amplifier chip was a little IC only 1 sq cm! and no heat sink on it. He said its not hot you can touch it but I didnt believe. They are VERY efficient. The sound was good, big authoritative detailed. A little dark, kinda like octal tube, which I like. Amazing ampliifer. Probably sound different in the classdaudio circuit but Id be surprised if you dont like it. Especially since you already know and like class A.

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2022, 01:53 am »
 :D modern tech blows my mind. The thread on this amp was good inspiration to give her a try for sure.  The return period is nice too. Wonder how many people send them back ? My rack will be like anti gravity with 95 pounds gone and power meter spinning way slower.  Gonna be very interesting experiment. Come on USPS and bring me that little package.   :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2022, 03:24 pm »
What loudspeakers are you running nowadays?

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2022, 04:39 pm »
 :D well I have the ProAc D48's set up and in boxes I have the Spatial M3's.  Think I will sell one set as soon as I land an amp I enjoy.  :D

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2022, 01:24 pm »
I'm looking forward to your impressions, bigears.  Keep us posted.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2022, 01:22 pm »
The Tyr's are neither tiny, nor cheap (fitting in this circle).  Thought you were after lighter weight amps.

gentlejax

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2022, 05:40 pm »
so what was the outcome? I was looking at these just this moring