Sub $1K Recommended Systems

TomRob62

Re: Sub $1K Recommended Systems
« Reply #80 on: 18 Mar 2016, 02:29 am »
This is what I am listening to and love it:
A small 2.1 speaker system consisting of:

Wharfedale 10.sr speakers - $99-$115
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-141209-wharfedale-diamond-10sr-black-surround-speaker-pr-demo.aspx

Polk Audio PSW10 10inch sub - purchased new for $80 and that's all one should pay for it, IMO
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458266958&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+psw

SMSL Class D AMP 50wX2 - $80
http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-TDA7492-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B00F0H8TOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458267460&sr=8-1&keywords=smsl+50wx2

Google Chromecast Audio - $35 (although me and a buddy bought 2 for $50)

Mini headphone to RCA audio cable from monoprice - $2.20 during one of their free shipping sales, otherwise shipping kills it.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5597

50 feet of 14 gauge speaker wire -$7
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14917

Old Samsung Galaxy lite w/microsd card from metropcs - $25

VLC Media player  - Free

Total - $320.20

srb

« Reply #81 on: 18 Mar 2016, 03:05 am »
This is what I am listening to and love it:
Polk Audio PSW10 10inch sub
SMSL Class D AMP 50wX2

How are you successfully able to connect the sub?

According to your link, the SMSL amp is a BTL configuration without common speaker ground, and most subs like the Polk have a common ground on their speaker level inputs. (?)

Steve

TomRob62

« Reply #82 on: 19 Mar 2016, 11:54 am »
How are you successfully able to connect the sub?

According to your link, the SMSL amp is a BTL configuration without common speaker ground, and most subs like the Polk have a common ground on their speaker level inputs. (?)

Steve

Aww crap, you mean i was supposed to RTFM?   I didn't even know what BTL stood for until I looked it up.  Should I be concerned?  I simply connected everything the way I thought it should go, using the Xover on the sub and the output is incredible.  There's no hum, no distortion, really nothing negative I can say at all except maybe I find the wharfedales a little warm and not as dynamic as some but I felt the same when I listened to Wharfedale diamond 10.1s in a 2.0 system. 

charmerci

« Reply #83 on: 19 Mar 2016, 08:22 pm »
I've had the PSW-10 sub before but for a few more dollars, one is much better off with the Dayton SUB-1200 - it goes on sale regularly.

newzooreview

« Reply #84 on: 19 Dec 2016, 05:50 pm »
Hi. Does anyone have recommendations on a best Click-to-buy $1,000 system? No used stuff, no do it yourself components. $800-1000. Things that don't need weeks of special order strongly preferred.

During the holidays I often get asked to recommend systems, and I'm wondering about people's thoughts on good options that also keep things cheerful for people who don't like to fiddle and tweak.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #85 on: 19 Dec 2016, 06:24 pm »
I hate to recommend it since it's just available from one of our main competitors, but I would suggest the following from Music Direct :

Marantz PM6005 : $500
Wharfedale 10.1 Diamond : $300

This will be a very musical combo and should satisfy most. It's got the simple controls including tone controls many people want. It also has a built-in phono stage and dac.

If people want a source other than connecting directly to a computer, I would recommend :

1) Sonos Connect ($350)
2) NAD 516 CD player ($300)
3) Project Debut Essential II ($300)

With the source and before cabling and tax that puts you just over $1k.

The Marantz & Wharfedale are essentially closeouts so supplies might not last.

Another alternative is the Micromega MySystem @ $999 : literally a one-box / click & buy system which even includes the cabling. The Marantz / Wharfedale system is going to sound better, but the micromega  System is a great choice for people who have very small spaces: like offices, bedrooms, and dorm rooms. It is specifically made  to be a book shelf system. The speakers are designed to be placed on shelves or bookcases unlike 99% of most "bookshelf" speakers.

srb

« Reply #86 on: 19 Dec 2016, 08:20 pm »
I would recommend the Quad 9AS Active Speakers

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/quad-9as-active-desktop-speakers

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=147352.msg1576096#msg1576096

Clickable, but it's a time-sensitive sale @ $499

Then add one of the aforementioned sources.

There would even be enough budget left to add a subwoofer if desired, the Elac Debut S10 @ $180 (also on sale).
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/elac-debut-s10-subwoofer

Steve

newzooreview

« Reply #87 on: 19 Dec 2016, 10:32 pm »
Thank you.  :thumb:

I hope someone else finds these helpful.

I had a pair of little Wharfedale Diamonds years ago, and wow they were fun little gems.

Graywulf

« Reply #88 on: 24 Dec 2016, 04:27 am »
Just recently assembled this as a 2nd system 2ch {bedroom} ... Not expensive, less than $550USD inc interconnects, but was pleasantly surprised by how it sounded.

amp. YJ TPA3116 complete unit  USD $125.00
https://www.yuan-jing.com/Finished-Boards-Units3/tpa3116-class-d-2-0-stereo-power-amplifier-50w-50w

decided to use a small tube preamp as a 'buffer' and took a punt on this basic little unit. USD $ 36.01
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Feixiang-FX-AUDIO-TUBE-01-DC12V-1A-Bile-Preamp-Tube-Amplifier-Buffer-6J1-HIFI-Audio-Preamplifier/1391641_32599029431.html

Speakers Mistral DT307s bookshelf units USD $299.00
http://www.mistralaudio.co.uk/DT-307S.html

I could honestly say that if I was starting again? It's a basic system I could live with happily.

kim108

« Reply #89 on: 11 Sep 2017, 02:10 pm »
Okay one under $1K used system:
Used Linn Isobarik DMS speakers with Kimber speaker cables, local garage sale: $150
new concrete blocks for stands with cardboard isolators $10
Custom tube amp from a local A/V studio (4 6L6's pro audio) purchased at a local audio swap meet: $120, mod and re-tubing: $180
Meitner/Museatex pa6i preamp  eBay  $325

Counterpoint DA-10 DAC with Proceed transport, Audio Technica digital cable and 2 pair of Audio Technica  IC's local Craigslist: $200

total $985 and sounds truly awesome, think  2 pairs of Rogers LS3/5a's with better tweeters (Scanspeak)and big balls!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #90 on: 11 Sep 2017, 02:57 pm »
JBL LSR 305 - $300 including Isoacoustics stands from various online retailers. The finest measuring loudspeaker I have seen under $1K or even higher. And I own a pair.

28 inch Pangea Stand - $225/pair - optional as if you have a bookshelf, that might be good enough.

Auralic Aries Mini with integral digital volume control -$450-$499. Load it up with your SSD or connect it up to your NAS, enjoy TIDAL all the way up to DSD 256. Optional: add a tricked out 15V DC supply that is either DIY ($150 or less) or from SBooster, etc...

Whatever cable manufacturers you subscribe to, or do something inexpensive like DH Labs, Blue Jeans, Signal cable, Pangea, etc...

Add a dedicated preamp if your heart desires but not required, i.e. optional - tube, solid state, diy, etc...

Then stand back and wonder why you are spending so much on your main/regular 2ch system.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2017, 05:37 pm by poseidonsvoice »

dburna

« Reply #91 on: 11 Sep 2017, 03:19 pm »
JBL LSR 305 - $300 including Isoacoustics stands from various online retailers. The finest measuring loudspeaker I have seen under $1K or even higher. And I own a pair.

28 inch Pangea Stand - $225/pair - optional as if you have a bookshelf, that might be good enough.

Auralic Aries Mini with integral digital volume control -$450-$499. Load it up with your SSD or connect it up to your NAS, enjoy TIDAL all the way up to DSD 256. Optional: add a tricked out 15V DC supply that is either DIY ($150 or less) or from SBooster, etc...

Whatever cable manufacturers you subscribe to, or do something inexpensive like DH Labs, Blue Jeans, Signal cable, Pangea, etc...

Add a dedicated preamp if your heart desires - tube, solid state, diy, etc...

Then stand back and wonder why you are spending so much on your main/regular 2ch system.

Best,
Anand.

+1, though I use iFi gear instead of the Auralic.....and the results are probably similar.  This is on my work-from-home desk.....and I don't think I've turned on my main rig for 2 months now.

Only main difference is I have been using some cheapo isolation foam stands.  I keep wondering if Isoacoustics stands will improve things substantially.  It sounds pretty good as is, only complaint is a little loose/wooly bass, but nothing egregious.

-dB

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #92 on: 11 Sep 2017, 03:45 pm »
JBL LSR 305 with stands ($300), Meridian Explorer 2 ($200), your laptop, and a subscription to Tidal ($20/month) for MQA.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #93 on: 17 Sep 2017, 08:35 am »
Guy, you obviously haven't priced out a wedding recently....

;)

never marry a woman who wants more then a few real friends, home baked food and a flute player in the woods, to marry with, anything else is a vampire looking for a chrome refrigerator to impress her real friends, other women.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #94 on: 17 Sep 2017, 09:12 am »
I hate to recommend it since it's just available from one of our main competitors, but I would suggest the following from Music Direct :

Marantz PM6005 : $500
Wharfedale 10.1 Diamond : $300

The wharfedale 10.1 is maybe the best deal and mistake wharfedale ever made. it left the rest of their line
not even review-able. they beat my dyna-audio's for detail. plus best speaker of the year at hysterical
sound bite review  "Whats HI-FI"

I have a rotel 1072, great detail, bass, but cold as a blow up sex doll, my marantz 5005 has breath taking tone, but warmed up, the marantz 6005 is hypnotic, and clears the room of anal retentive s who want to stand with one elbow in hand and twist nose hairs with the other, tearing everything apart.

Never let one of these Audio fools ruin the party.

But the 6005 is 90 MINUTES FOR WARM UP, and way way picky on RCA's, but i found a pair of velocity's RCA's (12 bucks)  that fit it perfect, but sound like crap between the pre and ADA power amp I use. while $100 plus RCA's sound like a
screaming me me, useless shrieking junk.

but I am using a $400 plus cardas power cord ON THE 6005, that has always sounded awful on other equip.

In the age of CD, the search for detail is short,  B U T  H Y P N O T I C  TO N E  I S  T H E  H A R D  T O  F I N D
 A N G E L.

This is one of the best post I have ever seen on this forum.

Hope tone makes a comeback, great detail is almost always at the expense of tone.

Tone is a emotional involvement thing, you gotta have heart to understand it.   

Grace Ruby

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #95 on: 17 Sep 2017, 12:55 pm »
I have to agree with the Marantz integrated and Wharfedales.  I helped set my friend up with a 5005 and Boston Acoustics CS26's and I was impressed with both. 

I bought a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's on closeout for my son.  Awesome speaker for the price. Deep bass, detailed.  They need some power and must be at least 2' or more from the back wall.  They are paired with a Parasound Halo A21 amp and an Emotiva Big Ego DAC and an AQ Jitter bug.  That combo of the Big Ego and Jitterbug is very musical, has a lush mid range with deep punchy bass, is detailed and leans on the warmer side.

roscoe65

« Reply #96 on: 17 Sep 2017, 02:10 pm »

Add a dedicated preamp if your heart desires but not required, i.e. optional - tube, solid state, diy, etc...

Best,
Anand.

I agree with this choice.  My own experience with audio system building over the past 30 years or so has been filled with false starts, dead ends and changes in direction.  It is expensive and can be frustrating to keep changing sources, amplification, and speakers.  If I were starting fresh (which many of us do in this hobby) I would be more methodical about it this time, using a building block approach.  In line with Anand's recommendation, I would:

1.  Establish that at this budget I am better off focusing on a near field setup.  It would also work as a general room system but that would not be its primary focus.

2.  JBL LS305 with Isoacoustics stands ($300).  This is a great inexpensive starting point at a great price.  I use Isoacoustics in a couple of areas myself.  I would stay with a desktop/shelf system layout at this moment.

3.  Chord Mojo DAC/HPA/Preamp ($600).  This thing is fantastic and worth much more than the $600 list price.  It only has 3.5mm output cables (unbalanced) so you'll need cables.

4.  Cables - 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" phono cable.  You'll need a splitter cable or two 3.5mm to phono cables (or 3.5mm to phono adapter) to take the two 3.5mm outputs of the Chord to the JBL's.

5.  If you have any money left over, I would start on room treatments.  In our case, I would see about absorbing any reflections off the desk.

Upgrades:

1.  Subwoofer ($400-$1000).  This would provide the biggest increase in SPL and make the system more suitable for non near-field use.  If it were my money I would choose a sub that has a built-in high pass crossover to allow for greater SPL from the JBL's.  I like the GR Research F12 ($1,000) but there are other choices.

2.  Chord Poly ($600).  This add-on streamer (Room Ready) frees you from the computer desk.

3.  Room treatments ($500).  We are at the point where this will go further than equipment upgrades.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #97 on: 17 Sep 2017, 06:05 pm »
1.  Subwoofer ($400-$1000).  This would provide the biggest increase in SPL and make the system more suitable for non near-field use.  If it were my money I would choose a sub that has a built-in high pass crossover to allow for greater SPL from the JBL's.  I like the GR Research F12 ($1,000) but there are other choices.

Roscoe65,

The JBL LSR305's have a built in DSP/active crossover with integral 50 watt Class D amplifiers for each driver. It will be difficult to design in a high pass to the system/speaker itself, unless you implement a rolloff in your preamp/dac (that has multiple analog outputs) or I guess the plate amplifier section of the subwoofer amplifier (in other words, subwoofer's digital DSP or intrinsic analog active crossover). However, the last option would make cables quite lengthy and with the unbalanced to balanced conversions, an opportunity for noise to creep in. The LSR305's are XLR or 1/4 inch input only. It obviously has no speaker level inputs. Sadly, there is no way to access the DSP inside the LSR305 itself. Trust me, I've looked at the boards, and without JBL's software, you have no access.

Bear in mind that the LSR305's can get quite loud and sound very clean. Continuous output is just shy of 100dB. Peak output is 106-108dB SPL per speaker, C-weighted. As such I do not feel that high passing would be of much benefit, unless we are talking about very large rooms at which point I question the choice of the speaker. The amount of control on the woofer is quite astonishing. To put that in perspective my family room is 15 ft wide, with a 20 ft ceiling and 25 ft depth. With the LSR 305, JBL is showing the very positive benefits of a properly implemented active crossover. They certainly did their homework here, and the measurements are really beyond reproach for this kind of money. It is the best bargain I have heard under $1K, period. Moreover, it is satisfying enough for me and that is after auditioning the ELAC Debut, ELAC Unifi and CC8 speakers. The Elac Adante might be a step up and are $2K starting and have a passive crossover. At that point, you have the JBL 705p's and 705i's to consider along with other contenders, like KEF, etc...

I quite agree that adding subwoofers would be fantastic, along with room treatments. What you try has a lot to do with your budget, patience, knowledge and most importantly measurements. I have yet to hear a system finely setup with subwoofers without the didactic use of measurements. It is imperative in my honest opinion.

All that being said, when listening to the LSR305's alone you might ask yourself where all that bass is coming from. The first time I heard it, I was grinning from ear to ear.  :green:

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2017, 08:29 pm by poseidonsvoice »

Krispy Kirk

« Reply #98 on: 6 Jun 2018, 10:11 pm »
Source: FiiO X-1 portable hi-rez player ($100 or less new)
Amp: Audiosource AMP-100 or Dayton/PE equivalent ($100-$110)
Speakers: ELAC B6 ($280 new, but can be had for $180 (what I paid for my pair NIB on amazon)).
for cables use whatever Monoprice or Amazon Basics stuff you like (<$50)
for furniture, get a Pangea rack ($100)
for speaker stands, get the Dayton SSMB24 ($65)

:popcorn:

mcgsxr

« Reply #99 on: 28 Jan 2019, 08:02 pm »
Source - Apple Music - let's call that $10 (OK, that's monthly but work with me here!)
Source - Focal Universal Wireless Receiver - $65 used
Amplification - Sugden Optima integrated - traded an amp for it, but figure a value of $350
Bolder Cable Nitro PC - $150 used
Speakers - Acoustic Energy Aegis Two - $150 used

All in - USD$725

An excellent little system with surprising bass from the small floor standers, nice synergy with the old British integrated, and sound that should cost more than this overall!
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2019, 11:35 am by mcgsxr »