Looking for a quality analog to digital converter

sresener

I need to get my evolution dac running with my ht system. also My av reciever has no digital out txrz1100.

So the only option I can think of is running my front main pre outs from my av reciever to the dac but unfortunately there are no analog inputs on the evolution dac.   :?

So now im looking for a "quality with reasonable cost" option to convert analog to digital. And im pretty sure some cheap 20.00 amazon converter would not provide the quality im looking for.

Anyone have some good ideas.

audioengr

Re: Looking for a quality analog to digital converter
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2019, 05:41 pm »
This does not make any sense.  If you want to use the DAC, then by definition, you will be running 2-channel, not Dolby Digital.

What you do is set your sources, either the Blu-Ray player, the Smart TV or the cable-box to 2-channel PCM output.

Then you drive this digital output to the DAC.  Then you connect the DAC analog outputs, L and R to the SS processor.  Then you get 2-channel from the processor and your speakers.

If you do this, I would highly recommend adding a reclocker to cable from the digital sources.  They will have much higher jitter than a CD transport.

If you want Dolby Digital and surround-sound, then your DAC will not work.  You will need a good SS processor instead.

Steve N.

sresener

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2019, 06:49 pm »
I probably didn't explain it right.

The surround sound would all ready be decoded in my avr. I would run the mains pre-out from the avr to the analog to digital converter so all the converter would do is pass a two channel signal from my avr. This input would only be used when I watch movies. I would have to set the preamp in the dac to fixed whenever I do that as I would be using the avr's preamp.

When ever I want to critically listen to music I would change input on my dac/pre amp to my streamer or transport. And I would have to change the preamp in the dac back to variable for this.

Without having a ht bypass or analog inputs on my evolution dac this seems like it should work I just need a somewhat quality analog to digital convert.

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2019, 08:32 pm »
Basically you want to switch between watching movie and listening to music for your main speakers.
You have two ways:
1. If your AVR has dual HDMI outputs, use a HDMI to optical converter to extra the 2 channel audio for Evo DAC.
2. Use the TV's optical output.

A high end preamp with hardware EQ is coming in Q4. Multiple inputs, but 4 independent outputs with EQ on each.
We have some technique to design the EQ without losing fidelity.

sresener

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2019, 10:40 pm »
Somthing like this
https://www.amazon.ca/Proster-Extractor-Converter-Optical-Splitter/dp/B073TT8JGN

or

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07L94RDLH/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07L94RDLH&pd_rd_w=5AYeR&pf_rd_p=4b7c8c1c-293f-4b1e-a49a-8787dff31bcb&pd_rd_wg=mY0R2&pf_rd_r=XPBY8JT8X2J36Q4AERKV&pd_rd_r=3d3c4535-8b08-11e9-9fb5-ff8721960316

I was hoping there was a more elegant and higher quality option. I find it really hard to connect this type of equipment in my system.

I use a projector so there is no tv optical output.

sresener

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2019, 10:49 pm »
Im also wondering if setting it to 2 channel will be able to pull the 2 front channels out of a multi channel surround format like atmos or dtx-s

Im also wondering if ill have any hdmi issues.

https://www.primecables.ca/en/p-317922-cab-8127-rl-stereo-audio-to-digital-coax-optical-toslink-converter-monoprice?from_pla=google&sku=317922&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3PLnBRCpo8PCoaGM99MBEiQAppRuC6MdRDYDsoXcOgvO9oxn2z6PtVt5C6pUCWfo_jZtEhkaAmhH8P8HAQ#sku317922

So this wouldn't work as well?

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2019, 06:40 pm »
This is a A2D converter, you get better performance by just converting from digital HDMI to optical.  The HDMI from your Bluray player already has 2 channel that can be "extracted" (the multi-channel has to be decoded).
I wonder why you don't just connect the coaxial/optical outputs from your Blu-ray and settopbox to Evo DAC directly.

sresener

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2019, 11:51 pm »
This is a A2D converter, you get better performance by just converting from digital HDMI to optical.  The HDMI from your Bluray player already has 2 channel that can be "extracted" (the multi-channel has to be decoded).
I wonder why you don't just connect the coaxial/optical outputs from your Blu-ray and settopbox to Evo DAC directly.

Thats a very good question, and for sure it will work when im listening to 2 channel audio. Im not sure how it will work when the uhd player is putting out a atmos or dts signal.

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2019, 08:47 am »
The multi-channel effects are meraged into 2 channel, but you also have other multi channels going into surround speakers so the effects will still be there.
I think it is the best case scenario (and low cost) until you get the Evo class preamp.   Buy the HDMI to optical/coaxial converter from Amazon and if you don't like the outcome, return it and get a full refund.