Speaker placement

mikeeastman

Speaker placement
« on: 12 Aug 2020, 04:19 pm »
I’m about to change speakers in my bedroom system. Right now I have GR Research N2Xs and I upgrading to GR Research Studio Monitors, which have an OB tweeter.

I have only one place for the speakers to go (see pics ). With the N2Xs at Dannys suggestion I mounted the speakers upside down, which has worked well, sound stage is high but other than that sounds good.

Now with the new Monitors I will have 18”-20” from the ceiling to top of speaker. Should I hang the new speakers upside down or mount them right side up and put some acoustical treatment on the ceiling.

The trouble with trying both is I have to have a special bracket made for each way and don’t what to that if I don’t have to.

I also posted this

in Open Baffle

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Speaker placement
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2020, 04:29 pm »
What about a ceiling mount like a ceiling fan for vaulted ceilings? That would let you  mount them right side up and get the tweeter a little farther from the ceiling.

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2020, 04:38 pm »
How will that let them be lower, they can only be so far off the floor or we'll hit or heads on them. I can lower the present brackets another 3", which is the lowest practical hight.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2020, 10:12 pm »
I'd love to hear those N2Xs, tbh!

But looking at your space constraints, I'm thinking that maintaining the inverted orientation is probably your best bet, since the Studios are a fair bit larger than the N2X models, in both depth and height.