What to do with a Dodd Amp

pslate

What to do with a Dodd Amp
« on: 14 Apr 2023, 09:07 pm »
Hi There,

I’ve not posted to the forum in years. I have been happy with my gear but I have been making changes of late. I have a Gary Dodd amp, which I’ve held on to for quite some time. It’s based on a class d audio sds 254 chip. I know there may be a few people w Dodd gear here. Is this something I should hold on to? I’m not sure what to do with it as I know the amp is completely overbuilt, but the chip may be lacking in 2023. Could someone upgrade the “bones” of this amp w purifi etc? Maybe it will just collect dust, but it seems sacrilege to sell it. I don’t think I would ever sell, but want it to see if it can be upgraded.

Not sure the image will post. I’m grateful for any advice on this amp!

Happy listening to you,
Paul

Danny Richie

Re: What to do with a Dodd Amp
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2023, 02:59 pm »
That might be one of the last amps he built.

How much power does in make?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2023, 05:50 pm »

skalos

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2023, 09:25 pm »
Very interesting.  Is this amp not battery powered  like other Dodd amps?

skalos

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2023, 09:32 pm »
Its also interesting because I run a Dodd battery tube amp in the main room and sds470 in my other rooms. I really enjoy them both for what they do.

CurtisIIX

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2023, 10:46 pm »
Given the form factor of the amplifier, it may be difficult to upgrade to another amplifier module (e.g. Purifi, as you mentioned). The overall build looks pretty compact, so a different amplifier module just might not fit. To find something that works, you may not necessarily get the latest state-of-art class-D amplifier modules. If there is an input buffer that is separate from the amplifier module, it may change the gain structure of the amplifier. Additionally, the power supply would have to meet the same specs for the new amplifier module.

Alternatively, class A/B chip amp modules do sound great and could be an upgrade option (at lower power), but I would be concerned about having an underspec'd power supply and cooling thermal issues on the amplifier chip.

I actually look at this differently than you. I think that it would more sacrilege to modify the amp to chase the latest class-D trends. If you keep it and it collects dust, you still may find a way to use it down the road. Otherwise, selling it - especially on Audiocircle with the GR Research circle - would get it in someone's hands that understands the pedigree of amp and values Gary's work. I don't think that is sacrilege.

pslate

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2023, 01:14 pm »
Thanks all for the information! I think it makes close to the sds spec? It’s very solid and beautifully made. I like the class a/b idea!!  As is it’s a powerful and warm sounding amp, perhaps not the end all be all of resolution. I will keep it as it is, and keep it around even if I buy other amps. It feels like a piece of history. Have a good one all. Thanks for the input Danny. It’s neat to know this could have been one of the last amps he built.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2023, 01:47 pm »
There is probably a Sonicap or something as the input coupling cap. Swapping that out to a Copper foil cap may take things up a level or too. Gary was experimenting with those coupling caps just before he passed away. So it is a tweak he would have done.

Jack7

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2023, 03:31 am »
My Dodd Audio battery-powered Preamp has a problem--constant vibration/static. It's annoying with 6922 tubes and worse/unlistenable with RAM (Modjeski) 6922. I'd appreciate any advice about this problem and/or advice about who might investigate/fix it; I'm in Atlanta.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2023, 03:39 pm »
My Dodd Audio battery-powered Preamp has a problem--constant vibration/static. It's annoying with 6922 tubes and worse/unlistenable with RAM (Modjeski) 6922. I'd appreciate any advice about this problem and/or advice about who might investigate/fix it; I'm in Atlanta.

It can be sent to Charlie Cocci for repairs. Charlie was a close friend of Gary's and knows his stuff really well. Email me for his information.

pslate

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2023, 09:07 pm »

I got an application for the Dodd Amp as the worlds best desktop amp! Don’t mind the Schiit in between. I may need to upgrade the sonicaps to copper coil as Danny suggested. Thanks so much all.

Be well and happy listening!
Paul