Crossover setting for X-Statiks

pureiso

Crossover setting for X-Statiks
« on: 8 Aug 2012, 06:36 pm »
I just got in a new (err used) pair of X-Statik speakers, and was playing with my crossover to my sub.  Issue is, the receiver I have is decent but does not allow fine tuning of the sub crossover.

So I am stuck looking at either 50 hz or 80 hz.  I know the listed specs for the X-Statik show only a +/- of 60 hz, so it seems that 80 hz may be the better option.  However, it seems that between 50 hz and 80 hz, there is some room issues that may be helped by using the pair of speakers instead of the single sub.  Also, I imagine the X-Statiks are also a bit more capable at least down to the 60 hz. 

What do you guys think on this?

Danny Richie

Re: Crossover setting for X-Statiks
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2012, 07:55 pm »
You want to cross them where the response is -6db down.

So when I use them with one of our servo subs. I let the X-Statik's play full range and then set the crossover setting on the servo subs to about 45Hz to get a smooth blend.

In a smaller room and depending on room gain you may have to use an even lower setting. 

pureiso

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2012, 08:27 pm »
You want to cross them where the response is -6db down.

So when I use them with one of our servo subs. I let the X-Statik's play full range and then set the crossover setting on the servo subs to about 45Hz to get a smooth blend.

In a smaller room and depending on room gain you may have to use an even lower setting.

Ok, so chances are my ears are not lying to me when I changed it to 50 hz it seemed to smooth out the response.  Is the room gain helping it in the lower frequencies?  Or am I just avoiding those frequencies by having it set below the speakers specs?

Room is quite small, 15' x 25' with 8' ceilings.  That is a rough estimate.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2012, 10:45 pm »
Ok, so chances are my ears are not lying to me when I changed it to 50 hz it seemed to smooth out the response.  Is the room gain helping it in the lower frequencies?  Or am I just avoiding those frequencies by having it set below the speakers specs?

Room is quite small, 15' x 25' with 8' ceilings.  That is a rough estimate.

It is hard to say, room to room, if you are getting gain and where. Even speaker placement from the front wall will vary that quite a bit. If you do have some gain below 55Hz or so then the 50Hz setting on your receiver will pull down that low end peak.