X-Voce or N3S for Center

pureiso

X-Voce or N3S for Center
« on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:02 pm »
I got my X-Omnis set up and then realized I hated my center channel all along.  :duh:

Sold that and some of my other speakers so I got a bit o' money to get me a great center.  However, I am unsure which to go with.  I definitely want one that is going to lock the dialog on screen but fill up the room like the Omnis do when the music or action kicks in.

So what do you guys think?  I got the room for both, however both will be near the rear wall and about 5' up.
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2012, 03:45 pm by pureiso »

BYOB

Re: X-Voce or N3S for Center
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:58 pm »
I have the N3s sealed in an inexpensive partsexpress box and love it. Much more detailed than my old AV123 Bigfoot center. Only a couple inches from the wall.

pureiso

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:13 pm »
I have the N3s sealed in an inexpensive partsexpress box and love it. Much more detailed than my old AV123 Bigfoot center. Only a couple inches from the wall.

Thanks for the reply, so you feel it has more detail?  How about the sound stage?

cujobob

Re: X-Voce, Onix Ref 100, or N3S for Center
« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:19 pm »
The X voce comes from the same product line so that should be considered over the ref center. The n3s I'm sure is great, I think either would be a good match.

pureiso

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:53 pm »
The X voce comes from the same product line so that should be considered over the ref center. The n3s I'm sure is great, I think either would be a good match.

So do you both agree that the N3s is likely a better choice for a center channel?

Also, do you think that the response would be much better verticle or horizontal for the center channel?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2012, 04:24 pm »
I own an X-Voce for my center and have not heard the N3's.

I would think that the X-Voce is a better match for the X-Statics as it has the same design philosophy - i.e., open drivers for mids/tweeter as well as the same type of tweeter (classic paper cone)as opposed to the N3 with a Neo tweeter.

Perhaps somebody who has used both with the X-Statics will be able to chime in.

pureiso

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2012, 06:24 pm »
So no real agreement on what would be better.

brother love

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2012, 07:11 pm »
I used to own an X-Voce & got rid of it because it didn't blend well w/ my av123 elt525 smaller tower speakers (which had a weak center channel even after skiing ninja upgrades). Plus that X-Voce is huge.  :o

I later owned GR Research N2x's & ugraded to N3 transmission lines.  The B & G planar tweeters coupled with the clean midrange/ bass from Danny's superb higher end crossover design allows 2 channel system to sound better to me for movies & tv than my previous 3 channel front end ever did.  The center channel is 85% dialogue anyways, so 2 channel stereo serves that purpose well.  I enjoyed 5.1 & 6.1 HT, but prefer the cleaner 2 ch sound in all honesty.

But since you own the X-Omnis, the X-Voce is likely a better match. The X-Voce will blend better w/ your mains & be more seamless as drivers, networks, etc. came from the same speaker line.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2012, 07:28 pm »
So no real agreement on what would be better.
I think the concensus is that the X-Voce is a better match, not necessaily a better speaker.

Ron

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2012, 07:35 pm »
 I would think the sealed X-CS MTM would be a perfect match for the X- Omnis. Also, it would be cheaper than the N3S too. It should make a really nice sounding center channel with the X-Omni's especially if you added the  Sonicap and No-Rez upgrades.

edoggrc51

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2012, 07:38 pm »
I think the concensus is that the X-Voce is a better match, not necessaily a better speaker.

+1

I've tried the Ref.100, Bigfoot, X-voce, and the N3s. The GR was by far the best of the bunch. The resolution and detail of it is much improved compared to the others. Though like SoCalWJS just mentioned, the Voce might be a better match.

brother love

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2012, 07:40 pm »

+2.  :green:

I would also add that if you mount the speaker 5 ft. high & tight to the wall, you will lose a LOT (since your ears are 2.5 ft. high or so at listening position). If you can't position better, angling center speaker downward will be a must!

pureiso

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2012, 04:03 pm »
+2.  :green:

I would also add that if you mount the speaker 5 ft. high & tight to the wall, you will lose a LOT (since your ears are 2.5 ft. high or so at listening position). If you can't position better, angling center speaker downward will be a must!

Thanks to everyone who replied, it seems I have got a possible X-Voce for an awesome deal.  So I will set the N3s in my sight for next upgrade.

Definitely will be angling it though.

the7comeback7kid

« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2012, 04:56 pm »
I was very impressed with my x-voce when I got it. I had it paired with x-statiks, which are now in a stereo setup.

pureiso

« Reply #14 on: 12 Apr 2012, 08:12 pm »
I was very impressed with my x-voce when I got it. I had it paired with x-statiks, which are now in a stereo setup.

That is very good news, since I have an X-Voce coming in hopefully next week.

the7comeback7kid

« Reply #15 on: 13 Apr 2012, 11:59 am »
That is very good news, since I have an X-Voce coming in hopefully next week.

Luckily I had the space. I did find it needed room to breathe. Great speaker though. Hope to see your feedback on it!