N2X or N3S?

pureiso

N2X or N3S?
« on: 10 Feb 2012, 06:00 pm »
I am looking at doing either sealed design in my home theater and was wondering which one would be better and why?  Both are going to be placed relatively close the the wall and almost against the back wall, so I figured a sealed design would perform better in this application.  Likely crossover would be at 80hz or lower, max 100hz if that is too low.

The only difference is the extra midrange, so my question is how much performance difference should I expect from the N3S and would mids actually be reinforced too much?  Also, would there be any issues with lobing or off axis response since the seating is 40 degrees off at the extremes?

I am rather new to this stuff and it may be a while before I even pick anything up, but it would just be nice to have some input on this.  Another aside question, what kind of room treatments would you guys recommend?

Room: 12' x 22' x 8' All along the 12' wall with about 8' between screen and main seating.

jparkhur

Re: N2X or N3S?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2012, 06:29 pm »
N3S for sure....     not much different in price either.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2012, 07:56 pm »
For room treatments check out ATS Acoustics

pureiso

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2012, 09:57 pm »
I checked out ATS and was confused by their guidelines for the amount of panels to use.

I was thinking about going with two full sized panels at first reflection on the sides, and then putting two in the back corners angled.  Maybe even putting a few foam bass traps behind to really smooth out the bass response in the room while providing enough absorption to bring down the harshness. 

Would you guys recommend more?  And also, nobody else feels I should bother with the N2Xs vs the N3S?

WC

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2012, 10:03 pm »
I have only heard the N2X, which sounded good. If it was me I would go with the N3S, since the added cost is minor and the added efficiency is beneficial.

pureiso

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2012, 10:17 pm »
Good call on the sensitivity, I forgot to compare the two.  90 vs 85 is a rather large gap...

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2012, 02:12 pm »
They sound pretty much the same except for the sensitivity difference.

Ron

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2012, 04:55 pm »
  Having buit and listened to both the N2X and the N3S, I agree with what Danny says. They do sound very much alike except the N3S does have higher sensitivity and better dynamic range. Performance and sound quality of both is excellent especially with the performance upgrade options.