What ever happened to...

Xi-Trum

What ever happened to...
« on: 17 Jul 2003, 08:26 pm »
the Divas?  I just browsed the Av123 site and couldn't find them.  They were pretty popular a while back.  Are they superceded by the Rockets now?

hectic1

What ever happened to...
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2003, 02:27 pm »
Divas are still around...AV123 just no longer carries them. Diva was manufactured by Swan, Rockets are manufactured by Onix (AV123) so they have total control over the speakers line. I can't remember of the top of my head the company name that is now supplying the Diva's but the guys name is Jon Lane. I have never heard the Diva's so I can't comment on the them but I sure do LOVE my Rockets! 8)

Sa-dono

What ever happened to...
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2003, 03:42 pm »
Quote from: hectic1
Divas are still around...AV123 just no longer carries them. Diva was manufactured by Swan, Rockets are manufactured by Onix (AV123) so they have total control over the speakers line. I can't remember of the top of my head the company name that is now supplying the Diva's but the guys name is Jon Lane. I have never heard the Diva's so I can't comment on the them but I sure do LOVE my Rockets! 8)

The Audio Insider has taken over the "Diva" line. However, due to a copyright infringement on the Diva name, the Diva line has now simply taken the Swans name..and added the 5.2 to replace the 5.1..and a couple other new speakers for the line. Having heard both, I feel the Rockets provide better price/performance value...especially now that The Audio Insider has increased the prices on the Swans.

hectic1

What ever happened to...
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2003, 09:36 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono
The Audio Insider has taken over the "Diva" line. However, due to a copyright infringement on the Diva name, the Diva line has now simply taken the Swans name..and added the 5.2 to replace the 5.1..and a couple other new speakers for the line. Having heard both, I feel the Rockets provide better price/performance value...especially now that The Audio Insider has increased the prices on the Swans.

That's it Ryan!! Thanks for the refresher course! :D

Jon Lane

• http://www.theaudioinsider.com
What ever happened to...
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2003, 04:05 am »
[Edited 21-Jul-03]

Swans was and is one of the larger speaker makers on Earth.  Diva was Swans' sub-brand.  Diva as a name was voluntarily dropped at the sole decision of The Audio Insider (Partners Jon Lane and Gregg Scott) as a favor to an associate who technically owned the "Diva" name.

Current model Swans "Diva" models are unchanged, although new models have been added both to the line and to US distribution.  The line is also priced very close to where it was over three and one half years ago when it made its US introduction.

Opinions about any relationship or lack thereof between the original Swans Diva's and any other similar brand's performance are just that.  As far as value, my opinion is that the Swans's are huge winners and we encourage lookers to compare sound, size, acoustic horseower, technical innovation, build and finish quality and any other feature per dollar.

Despite the rumors, there are no supply or quality issues whatsoever.  The line is extant, fully developed, up to par, etc., etc.

Gregg and I are available to fully support all Swans products and concerns.

blkwrxwgn

What ever happened to...
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2003, 05:25 am »
Jon I don't think anybody said anything bad about the diva's or swan speakers other then Ryan saying something about the price.

I'm not sure about any rumors??

Sa-dono

Re: Here we go again
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2003, 08:15 am »
Quote from: Jon Lane
I see there is still a bit of misinformation circulating about Swans and the Diva brand. Let's see if we can once again weed out the long-standing hyperbole and present the facts.

Please explain what misinformation is being circulated.

1. Swans was and is one of the larger speaker makers on Earth. Diva was Swans' sub-brand. Diva as a name was voluntarily dropped at the sole decision of The Audio Insider (Partners Jon Lane and Gregg Scott) as a favor to an associate who technically owned the "Diva" name.

No misinformation here. You have provided more information..but if somebody else does "technically (own) the 'Diva' name" then I have not said anything that could not be true.

2. Current model Swans "Diva" models are unchanged, although new models have been added both to the line and to US distribution. The line is also priced very close to where it was over three and one half years ago when it made its US introduction.

This is what I said, except that the 5.1 has been replaced by the 5.2..which you seem aghast to admitting. As far as prices, prices have indeed been increased regardless of what you want to say or think. I personally find it rather unappealing that you tout your special "Insider Price(s)" when they are nothing but the old MSRP prices for the models...while you have increased the MSRP prices, and shown no sign of offering package prices. Don't get me wrong...it is masterful marketing...but for anyone that knows what is going on..it partially takes away from the great value that the Diva's provided. There are certainly many other speakers that are very competitive to the Swans, especially when looking at the MSRP prices...although I'm not sure if you would agree.

3. Opinions about any relationship or lack thereof between the original Swans Diva's and any other similar brand's performance are just that. As far as value, my opinion is that the Swans's are huge winners and we encourage lookers to compare sound, size, acoustic horseower, technical innovation, build and finish quality and any other feature per dollar.

I only stated my opinion..just like you said..and this was when comparing and taking into account all of the above categories. I hold nothing against you, The Audio Insider, or Swans..in fact I still own some Diva's...and wish you all the best of luck. Hopefully you can go into more detail regarding where the misinformation was brought up.

Slee_Stack

As an aside
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2003, 02:43 pm »
I don't know too much of the history on the Divas so I can't comment.  But as a new customer who recently puchased speakers via the internet, I can offer the following input to AudioInsider (and any other internet speaker company):

Discounts are key.  Maybe anyone will work a deal, but advertise it if you do consider it.  While some HT packages are available, add more or say you will work other package deals.  This was one weighty reason why I opted to purchase Rockets.

Offering a 'cheaper' finish as an option is smart, kudos.  Some people don't care about a wood finish and would rather save the cash.  It did make me seriously consider the Swans.  In the end, I opted to pay a little more (not a lot) for a nice finish.

Fix the 'shopping cart'.  There are a number of bugs there.  An internet-only company should have a near bug-free website.  (ie only 1 PVC finish item is allowed in the cart).

Complimentary products are needed.  While the 5.2 and C3 have the dome midrange, there are no '2.2' or smaller speakers with it that could be used for people who prefer monopoles in the back.   Similarly, a 'C4' with the 6.1 midrange would be nice.  Hey, that's a cool designator for a center!  Big bang!

Overall, the Swans came in second place.  If for some reason, the Rockets don't play to my liking, I may go for the Swans, but some package pricing would be needed.  Good luck with them, they do look like beautiful speakers.