Reference 1 reviews

mca

Reference 1 reviews
« on: 2 Jan 2005, 06:31 pm »
I have been looking for online reviews of the Onix Reference 1 and was only able to find one on the Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity website. Anyone know if any other online reviews exist?

gary

Reference 1 reviews
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2005, 04:06 am »
I think the Secrets review is the only official one. If you search this forum though you'll find quite a few informal reviews from AC members.

In case you're interested, I'm probably going to be selling my birdseye mape Ref 1's pretty soon, along with my Osiris stands. They've been babied from day 1 and they're in perfect condition, I'd probably be looking to get $900 for the speakers and $225 for the stands.

Gary

hectic1

Reference 1 reviews
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2005, 02:47 am »
Gary what are you looking at getting...I have the Ref 1's and H34...pair with SOCS this combo is amazing...SOCS should be ready for offical release soon, if I were you I would hold out....

gary

Reference 1 reviews
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2005, 03:31 am »
Somehow the Ref's just aren't doing it for me lately, even with the beta version of SOCS I had. Realistically it's probably not even the speakers' fault - since I moved them to my basement I haven't liked the way my system has sounded and the issue is probably just the acoustics down there. Or, it might be the amp - the JVC RX-F10S that replaced my trusty Cayin tube amp. Still, I want to sell them off before the resale value drops any lower... I paid almost $1500 (well, $1600 w/ an A-120 to be exact) for the Ref 1's, and right now I think they're worth about $900. That's a major drop already and I'm afraid it's going to drop even lower when the Mini's come out. I've already taken a big enough hit because of the rosewood ref 1 package and because so many people have sold ones they got at the package price. The PT gear is already gone, I'm just waiting for the check to get here. I couldn't see keeping it any longer and having to pay another $400 once the final version of SOCS is released (if that ever even happens anyway), and then having the whole thing depriciate even further when the next generation is released... it is 4 year-old technology after all. At least I'm getting a good part of my money back selling now, and if it drops another couple hundred in value that's a much less painful hit for the new owner than it would have been for me.

As for where I'm going with my system, right now Vinnie is building one of his battery-powered tripath amps for me and he's also going to put a Scott Nixon DAC in one of his enclusures for me and set it up to be powered from the same kind of SLA battery. For speakers I'm ordering Cain & Cain Abby's. The whole thing is kind of a blind leap, but it's in a very interesting minimalist/purist direction that'll give me almost complete freedom from  the variation of a/c power, and won't involve crossovers either. Should be fun, and I figure if I don't like the Abby's I can sell them anyway try the Strata mini's, which I'm wait-listed for right now.

Gary

Rocket

reference 1 reviews
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2005, 04:15 am »
Hi,

I'm a bit disappointed that socs has taken so loong to develop and be released.  I am happy with the pt1/p3a/monolithic combination and i have recently upgraded it to modwright signature level 2 status and it sounds excellent.

Gary, it sounds like you are putting together a really good system  :) .

regards

rod