Buying a new bicycle...what should I know?

LadyDog

Re: Buying a new bicycle...what should I know?
« Reply #60 on: 3 Jul 2012, 02:42 am »
It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish bike wise, and what you are comfortable saddle to drop.  The important measurements are top and head tubes.

George appears you are longer torso'd vs. legs, so many the smaller size will work. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #61 on: 30 Jul 2012, 12:07 am »
Well I am finally back on my bike!

It was almost a month before I healed up enough to get back out on the road.  This week I eased into things with a few 20 min rides with my boys and I ratcheted things up by riding around 30 miles this weekend at a decent pace with my neighbor who competes in Iron Man events.

Other than dumping today and getting a good amount of road rash + a fairly deep cut, no issues and it looks like full speed ahead!  :green:

I am going to contact my local dealer on Tuesday and schedule my Retul fitting. Hopefully, he isn't backed up and will be able to fit me in quickly.

Once I have my fitting, I'll start making a short list of bikes to target.

One positive aspect to having everything pushed out a month is that the 2013 models and components are starting to come out.  So I should be able to pick up a 2012 model at a nice discount (at least I hope so).

George

jackman

« Reply #62 on: 30 Jul 2012, 12:21 am »
You are getting a fancy fitting on a bike that is not going to be your main ride?  Will they fit you on the new bike for free?  If not, I'd hold off and get the fitting on the new bike.  You won't ride that old bike anymore once you get the new one.

I'm a huge proponent of a pro fit but only if you plan to ride lots of miles on the buke.  For a casual secind bike you will use only sporadically, a pro fit might be a waste of money.  For your secondary bike, you can get away with a less than perfect fit. Id save my money and put it into the new bike. Just a suggestion.

Lastly, I've heard good things about the new Trek Domane bike. It is supposed to be very smooth riding, good handling and responsive.  Some Roubaix owners have said very positive things about the new Trek.  It's on my list of test bikes I plan to ride later this summer.

Good luck

J

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #63 on: 30 Jul 2012, 12:31 am »
You are getting a fancy fitting on a bike that is not going to be your main ride?  Will they fit you on the new bike for free?  If not, I'd hold off and get the fitting on the new bike.  You won't ride that old bike anymore once you get the new one.

I'm a huge proponent of a pro fit but only if you plan to ride lots of miles on the buke.  For a casual secind bike you will use only sporadically, a pro fit might be a waste of money.  For your secondary bike, you can get away with a less than perfect fit. Id save my money and put it into the new bike. Just a suggestion.

Lastly, I've heard good things about the new Trek Domane bike. It is supposed to be very smooth riding, good handling and responsive.  Some Roubaix owners have said very positive things about the new Trek.  It's on my list of test bikes I plan to ride later this summer.

Good luck

J

Jack,

The fitting isn't on my current bike, it is actually on a special setup that my dealer uses for the fitting.  I believe it allows him to easily alter bike geometry, as well as riding positions.  This will help me better determine what bike geometries are better suited to my body, riding style, etc... 

If I ultimately buy my bike from this dealer, yes, he will certainly help me with the new bike.  If I buy a bike elsewhere, he will still work with me (which is one of the reasons why I am working with him) on the new bike.

Once I buy a new bike, I will most likely put my current bike into storage and bring it out when my boys are old enough to ride it.

George

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #64 on: 30 Jul 2012, 12:51 am »
I love oval Biopace chainwheels, the best I ride.
I cant imagine why they dont do it anymore.
Round chainwheels made huge stress on muscles;

jackman

« Reply #65 on: 30 Jul 2012, 02:04 am »
Never tried those Full Range Guy, but they stopped making them twenty years ago. After my fitting, my knees are fine with standard rings. 

My bike is a '08 Trek Pilot. It has OCLV top grade carbon and relaxed geometry.  It is the most comfortable riding bike I have ever tried. It has long wheelbase, slack head tube and seat tube angles, and handles like a Cadillac.  It's relatively light (17 lbs with normal wheels, heavy fork and SRAM Red) but lacks the sexy looks of new bikes.  I'm going to get a new frame eventually and transfer the Red to the new bike.

My Powertap wheels are low spoke count and uses Dt Swiss Aerolite spokes.  These wheels are probably more suitable for a lighter guy because I can flex the rear wheel at 1000 watts. The brakes scrub when I mash the pedals hard.

Make sure you get wheels suitable for your weight and power! Low spoke wheels could be dangerous for a big guy.

Don_S

« Reply #66 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:16 am »
The new "unround".   Chainrings:

http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/products/qrings_compact.html

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #67 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:30 am »
The new "unround".   Chainrings:

http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/products/qrings_compact.html
These are round chainwheels for road.
Biopace was a Shimano model, very suited to Klein frames or other MTB.
I suspect a Biopace copy/clone can be ordered in a custom builder shop if need.

AB

« Reply #68 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:32 am »
Well I am finally back on my bike!

Other than dumping today and getting a good amount of road rash + a fairly deep cut, no issues and it looks like full speed...

George

Wait. You crashed today?

How'd that happen?

I highly recommend Tegaderm for road rash.  :thumb:

AB

« Reply #69 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:35 am »
These are round chainwheels for road.
Biopace was a Shimano model, very suited to Klein frames or other MTB.
I suspect a Biopace copy/clone can be ordered in a custom builder shop if need.

The web site pic makes them look round but the Qrings are actually oval.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:48 am »
The web site pic makes them look round but the Qrings are actually oval.
ha ha you are kid me, this not true, they are fully round:
http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/products/RS4x_cranks.html

AB

« Reply #71 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:53 am »
ha ha you are kid me, this not true, they are fully round:
http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/products/RS4x_cranks.html

Qrings are oval. Really. I kid you not. :green:

Google image search for Qrings and see.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:58 am »
rs rs rs OK, now it is a bit useless to me, Iam not riding anymore.
But nice to know.

mick wolfe

« Reply #73 on: 30 Jul 2012, 04:31 am »

Biopace may well be coming back.....well at least they've reappeared somewhat at the TDF this year. I believe I saw them on a few time trial bikes for sure.

TomS

« Reply #74 on: 30 Jul 2012, 12:12 pm »
I still have my steel Centurian Ironman with the original Shimano 600 SIS and biopace CR's. That bike has thousands of miles with quite a few rebuilds on it, and served me very well over the years. I loaned it to someone who rode it across Ohio for a charity ride just last week. He loved it and said he couldn't believe how fast that old bike was.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 30 Jul 2012, 01:35 pm »
Wait. You crashed today?

How'd that happen?

I highly recommend Tegaderm for road rash.  :thumb:

When trying to do an abrupt stop, I skidded and couldn't get my feet out of the pedals in time.   :oops:

First time I hit the ground in a long, long time.

George

AB

« Reply #76 on: 30 Jul 2012, 02:01 pm »
When trying to do an abrupt stop, I skidded and couldn't get my feet out of the pedals in time.   :oops:

First time I hit the ground in a long, long time.

George

Stopping will get you every time and hardly anyone works on their stopping skills. It's all interval this and sprint for that - you never hear about the need for no speed.  :D

jackman

« Reply #77 on: 30 Jul 2012, 09:34 pm »
Falling happens to everyone eventually.  I fell last year on some gravel.  I know how to ride on gravel but I didn't see it and I tried to break while turning.  23mm tires can cut loose quickly and I wound up on the ground with some nice road rash on my leg.  Thankfully my new bib shorts and jersey were unscathed! 

Everyone in the group saw me go down and had a good laugh.  I guess it's important to watch where you are going and what you are riding on. 

George, glad you aren't banged up too bad.  It's a good reason to wear gloves!  That and wiping your nose when necessary.  This is the only reason I wear gloves.  I don't need the padding and my hands don't sweat that much.  Gloves are great when you wipe your nose or when you fall at low speeds.  All bets are off when you crash at high speed, which I thankfully have never done on a road bike.  MTB is a different story...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #78 on: 30 Jul 2012, 11:05 pm »
Falling happens to everyone eventually.  I fell last year on some gravel.  I know how to ride on gravel but I didn't see it and I tried to break while turning.  23mm tires can cut loose quickly and I wound up on the ground with some nice road rash on my leg.  Thankfully my new bib shorts and jersey were unscathed! 

Everyone in the group saw me go down and had a good laugh.  I guess it's important to watch where you are going and what you are riding on. 

George, glad you aren't banged up too bad.  It's a good reason to wear gloves!  That and wiping your nose when necessary.  This is the only reason I wear gloves.  I don't need the padding and my hands don't sweat that much.  Gloves are great when you wipe your nose or when you fall at low speeds.  All bets are off when you crash at high speed, which I thankfully have never done on a road bike.  MTB is a different story...

Gloves are my next purchase.   :wink:

In hindsight, I should have gone to the hospital and gotten the cut stitched up.  While it was relatively small cut (about 1 1/2") it was deep enough that it didn't stay closed with some butterfly band-aids that I applied.  I went to my regular doc this afternoon after it was obvious that it wasn't going to close on its own.  After they told me that I should have had it taken care of yesterday, the did their best to close it up with three steri-strips.  At least they said I did a good job cleaning it out.    :green:

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #79 on: 30 Jul 2012, 11:06 pm »
Stopping will get you every time and hardly anyone works on their stopping skills. It's all interval this and sprint for that - you never hear about the need for no speed.  :D

It's the how to fall without getting hurt that I need to practice and get better at!   :lol: :lol:

George