New Pioneer UDP-LX500 Player....the next mod candidate?

eichlerera1

Re: New Pioneer UDP-LX500 Player....the next mod candidate?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2019, 04:05 am »
Looking forward to your assessment!!!

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2019, 06:24 pm »
I have it playing music with the tube circuit today and it sounds good! I am a ways from done, but I do have it playing music through our mod stage at this point and it sounds wonderful! I am going to let things burn in today and re-visit it tomorrow. Still more controls logistics and other issues to address.

Thanks,

Dan

eichlerera1

« Reply #22 on: 8 Mar 2019, 05:04 am »
I have it playing music with the tube circuit today and it sounds good! I am a ways from done, but I do have it playing music through our mod stage at this point and it sounds wonderful! I am going to let things burn in today and re-visit it tomorrow. Still more controls logistics and other issues to address.

Thanks,

Dan

Do you have your input power supply in the circuit?

P.G.

modwright

« Reply #23 on: 8 Mar 2019, 06:20 pm »
Quick listening test: 205 tube mod vs. Pioneer LX-500 tube mod:

Same:
Both players use a pair of 6dj8/6922/7308 driver tubes.
Both mods use Lundahl transformers for signal coupling to analog stage from DAC.

Different:
205 uses outboard tube rectified PS 9.0 supply.
Pioneer uses inboard SS rectified supply.

205 uses SABRE DAC.
Pioneer uses AKM chip.

Tube circuits are different: 205 uses fully balanced circuit; Pioneer uses SE circuit.

So how do they sound?

The answer is VERY CLOSE! My VP Kristin just listened with me to a great recording and I asked her just for her gut first impression. The Pioneer has been burning in since last night and the 205 has been burning in for weeks.

Kristin replied that they were VERY close and that she would have to hear more music that she was familiar with to really tell the differences. We both agreed that bass response and soundstage are excellent on both. Tube rectification makes the Oppo a bit different tonally. The Pioneer sounds perhaps a bit more resolving with SS rectification.

The SABRE DAC is also more forward sounding, while the AKM DAC is smoother and richer in its presentation. To be honest, I would be hard pressed to declare a winner, and I am not finished with the Pioneer yet!

Price Difference?

Pioneer mod will be about $1K cheaper! Also, the new Pioneer is about $1K stock!
No outboard supply, umbilical and less labor with everything installed inside the Pioneer.

I am very excited about this!

I am taking two of these to Axpona that will be discounted further as fully modified units. I have one sold already and two others waiting to hear my impressions.

If you are interested, please let us know!

We do have a list of people to contact once the mod is finalized and in production! This will be soon!

Thanks,

Dan

Mike6743

« Reply #24 on: 11 Mar 2019, 06:42 pm »
I assume the comparison is using the analog outputs? Is there a difference or improvement using HDMI or coax digital outputs? I'm thinking specifically for multi-channel surround SACD's and DVD-Audio.

modwright

« Reply #25 on: 11 Mar 2019, 07:36 pm »
I have not compared via digital out and would have no idea. You have to understand that our mods are only intended to improve the analog outs for 2CH use.

Dan

modwright

« Reply #26 on: 28 Mar 2019, 01:48 am »
OK, have completed three now and I am very pleased!

Price for LX-500 mods = $1500

Mods include:

Add two power transformers and linear supplies: High Voltage and filament for tubes; Separate supply for DAC and digital circuits.
Upgrade key capacitors in DAC circuit.
Upgrade IEC to Furutech.
Damp chassis and drive.
Replace stock analog stage with our own Class A tube Stage (RCA only), with internal power supply as one box solution. Zero feedback. 6922/6dj8/7308 tube.

I have compared it to the Oppo 205 and while it has its own sound, I can say that they are at the same level of performance. Also, the Pioneer is a one-box solution and is $1K cheaper!

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dan W.

billmcc

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jul 2019, 06:33 am »
Dan,

Do you have pictures of the modded LX500? I'm interested in the LX500 mods as I currently have a stock Oppo 205. Is the Pioneer warranty still in effect after the mods are done? I'm also looking at the Marantz SA-KI Ruby CD/SACD player. More expensive than the modded LX500 though. Have you heard any of Marantz' reference CD/SACD players? Thanks!

Bill

screener

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jul 2019, 08:48 am »

RDavidson

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jul 2019, 05:52 pm »
Dan,

Do you have pictures of the modded LX500? I'm interested in the LX500 mods as I currently have a stock Oppo 205. Is the Pioneer warranty still in effect after the mods are done? I'm also looking at the Marantz SA-KI Ruby CD/SACD player. More expensive than the modded LX500 though. Have you heard any of Marantz' reference CD/SACD players? Thanks!

Bill

Bill, the manufacturer's warranty is void. Dan's mods are considerable and the manufacturer cannot be liable for that. The only instances (I've seen) where mods don't void a warranty is when the manufacturer approves of the mods or the mods are so minor that they don't really change the original equipment specs.

With that said, I'm certain Dan stands by his work and the machines he mods.

modwright

« Reply #30 on: 7 Jul 2019, 12:09 am »
Hi and thanks for the interest in our work.  The LX-500 is an amazing sounding player! I would recommend having us modify this over the Marantz Ruby. First of all, you are going to pay A LOT more for the Marantz and it would require an outboard supply. The LX-500 is ideal in that it provides all that we DO need and nothing that we don't! It has a great AKM DAC and excellent transport and non-resonant enclosure. We have room to build both analog and digital supplies of our own design internally and the sonic result is stunning! We also of course, replace the entire stock 2CH analog output stage with our own Class A tube output stage!

The Oppo 205 mod is also very good. It is $1K more and includes an external power supply. If you want to use it as a full DAC and player for streaming, then the Oppo is the way to go. If you plan to use it for 4K video and all audio/video disc playback, then the Pioneer gets my highest recommendation! It will play DSD files via static USB drive, but this requires a monitor to access file libraries and the USB input will not accept a server or computer USB input, only USB storage device.

Please feel free to call me with any more questions.

Thanks,

Dan Wright

rbbert

« Reply #31 on: 28 Dec 2020, 01:27 am »
Dealers have been told that the LX500 should begin shipping to the USA again in Feb 2021, and perhaps the LX800 in the summer!

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #32 on: 28 Dec 2020, 02:14 am »
Dealers have been told that the LX500 should begin shipping to the USA again in Feb 2021, and perhaps the LX800 in the summer!
So worth it. Dan did an amazing mod on my LX500. The sonics of this unit are stellar!

eichlerera1

« Reply #33 on: 28 Dec 2020, 03:47 am »
So worth it. Dan did an amazing mod on my LX500. The sonics of this unit are stellar!

Dan did do an amazing job!
But this unit is also very responsive to tweaks which further improves the sound:
1) Tube rolling
2) Internal dampening
3) ERS Paper
4) Bybees on the power lines
5) Mass loading

I imagine Dan has been eagerly awaiting production of this unit starting back up.....