Bed Replacement Mattress Recommendations? (for best sleep/health)

datman

My vote is for a Sleepm Number bed. My wife and I have had one for 9 years with no backaches between the two of us.  Being able to dial in different firmness levels for each side is WONDERFUL.

Th longest life we have had for a matress before this was five years. This was for top end Sealy or Simmons mattresses. Our Sleep Number is still going strong. We have a friend who has had one for 25 years.

Air does not lose support over time.

djbnh

Our vote is for Natura latex mattresses: http://www.naturaworld.com/mattress/naturalatex. We use ours on a platform bed and couldn't be happier.

You'll sweat in the TempurPedics (even though they're pretty comfortable) and they offgass as well. The regular mattresses never did it for us either. Couldn't stand the SleepNumber beds and never understood how the company could charge what they did.

The latex mattress we have works wonderfully, never slept better, we thought it was reasonable (shop around) - somewhat more expensive than a regular bed, but nowhere near the cost of Tempur. A goodly number of models from which to choose. YMMV.

CSI

After trying every other approach we got the Sleep Number bed a year ago. For the first time in 30 years my wife and I are both getting a good nights sleep. Skip the fancy remote (after the first month or so you will only adjust it once in a great while so the hard wired remote is fine). Likewise the plush pillow top covers and other upgrades. We went with the next to entry level model and one or two steps up in covers. Saved a lot of $. Also, those chiropractor type pillows with different size neck rolls at each edge work really well with the Sleep Number mattress. In a few weeks a lifetime of back and neck pains disappeared. They aren't paying me for the endorsement. The thing just really works, at least for us.

bummrush

Bought a Temperpeitic 5 years ago, never knew I could sleep as good as I have . Worth every penny.

kenreau

Our vote is for Natura latex mattresses: http://www.naturaworld.com/mattress/naturalatex. We use ours on a platform bed and couldn't be happier.

You'll sweat in the TempurPedics (even though they're pretty comfortable) and they offgass as well. The regular mattresses never did it for us either. Couldn't stand the SleepNumber beds and never understood how the company could charge what they did.

The latex mattress we have works wonderfully, never slept better, we thought it was reasonable (shop around) - somewhat more expensive than a regular bed, but nowhere near the cost of Tempur. A goodly number of models from which to choose. YMMV.

These look very nice, but I am shocked at the prices.  Do these really sell for $5K to $6K? 

Kenreau

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
We just bought a Natura Solace Dual King for a lot less than the price shown on the website. Courage !
 :D
D.D.

Stu Pitt

After trying every other approach we got the Sleep Number bed a year ago. For the first time in 30 years my wife and I are both getting a good nights sleep. Skip the fancy remote (after the first month or so you will only adjust it once in a great while so the hard wired remote is fine). Likewise the plush pillow top covers and other upgrades. We went with the next to entry level model and one or two steps up in covers. Saved a lot of $. Also, those chiropractor type pillows with different size neck rolls at each edge work really well with the Sleep Number mattress. In a few weeks a lifetime of back and neck pains disappeared. They aren't paying me for the endorsement. The thing just really works, at least for us.

I fully agree.  Our Sleep Number bed is one of the best things we've bought.  We each have basically our own mattress.  My wife has a few herniated discs, and I've always had stiffness and tightness.  Since we've owned it, I rarely have any issues, and none are sleep related.  We went through about 54 mattresses in 6 years before we tried the Sleep Number.  We've had it about 5 years now and haven't had a single complaint.  My wife hasn't woken up in the middle of the night with back pain since owning it.

Stu Pitt

And to add...

The mattress industry has to be the biggest group of scumbags around.  The manufacturers make the same mattress with a bunch of different model names so they can sell them for different prices to different stores.  Foundations/box springs are a waste of money.  They always have some sort of clearence sale, and it goes on and on.  I bet the reason why they don't get reviewed or recommended by truly independant entities is because the field is so shady that it's impossible to really know what is what.

pjchappy

Great timing for this topic.  I will be buying a new bed in a few months or so down the road.

I didn't even know about latex beds.  I'm intrigued!

Paul

Nick77

I can vouch for these bad boys, we just couldnt swing the price right now. Opted for the natural EcoFoam mattress instead, but dont feel we lost anything. I believe they are the same company.

srb

We went through about 54 mattresses in 6 years before we tried the Sleep Number.

Really?  9 mattresses a year or one every 40 days?

I went from a conventional mattress to a foam-core organic wool/cotton futon mattress which was very comfortable, but the futon mattress only lasted a few years before compression.

I then bought a Costco Novaform Comfortluxe memory foam mattress and ended up returning it because it was too soft and unsupportive.

While looking for a new mattress, my temporary stop-gap solution is an Aerobed pillowtop with a 3" memory foam topper, kind of a poor man's Select Comfort.  It is one of the most comfortable I have tried, but has several negatives including the lightweight air mattress shifting on the frame, the topper shifting on the air mattress, convex rounded sides ..... and now a slow leak!

I was thinking about one of the Natura latex/eco memory foam/wool/cotton mattresses available locally at the Copenhagen furniture store, but after my experience with the current temporary setup, was also thinking about the Select Comfort.

Due to the bad experience with the Costco memory foam mattress, I won't mail order something I haven't demoed in person.  Unlike stereo equipment that you end up not liking, it's too difficult to sell for even a percentage of the cost.

Steve

nature boy

Here is a link to an interesting website with comparisons of different mattress types.  Gotta love the "Sleep Like The Dead" title :D

http://sleeplikethedead.com/bed-mattress-review-home.html

NB

bacobits1

The Sleep Number, Select Comfort bed Highly recommended!!!!!
We had one for 15 years still do and a new one last year.
I would say this bed is luxurious.

D

pardales

8 yrs of very satisfied and healthy sleep on the classic Tempurpedic. A bit of an investment but worth ever penny.

Stu Pitt

Really?  9 mattresses a year or one every 40 days?

It was obviously a typing error.  I went through 4 or 5.  Thanks for calculating that though.

hayden

www.bedinabox.com

From the makers of the original memory foam.  Great, comfortable, affordable beds.

ctviggen

We have a combination latex/foam bed.  I've found it to be comfortable, but you can only flip it around (not upside down).  It does develop a memory. 

I also think it's impossible to compare mattresses, made that way by the retailers. 

geezer

I warmly recommend a company called The Original Mattress Factory. I bought one of theirs about 15 years ago, and it's still going strong. They have four or five levels of firmness for you to try, as well as adjustable beds. The prices are good and the quality is clearly better than any of the well known brands. However, they're not national; mostly along the east coast from PA to Florida, and one or two mid-west states.

kenreau

I stopped in Costco tonight and was delighted to find they carry two of the foam models.  One is a Anatomic Global Lighter Living 12 " Memory Foam for $800 (King size) and a Novaform gel for $700.  I plan to check them both out this weekend.

Kenreau

cujobob

I decided to invest in a king sized tempurpedic a couple of years ago and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.  My parents have a few of them (2 homes) and when I stayed with them on vacation I swore I never slept better.  I had a torn rotator cuff which never had surgery and the bed alleviated a lot of the pain. 

For the first few months, the bed is rock hard though...it takes six months + before it's in it's normal state.  There is also a smell when first purchased but it quickly went away.