DO YOU LIKE THE SHAPE YOU'RE IN?

John Casler

« on: 7 Jun 2010, 10:40 pm »

Years ago I worked for a Health Club Chain and we answered the phone "American Health Fitness Centers, Do you like the shape you're in?"

Sometimes there was a bit of silence and then the response was always interesting.  You could almost hear the "wheels turning" at the other end of the line.

It is a little ironic that I am posting this along with things like fine cigars, bourbons, wines, and the like, but maybe this offers a little balance in the PUB.

Interestingly enough in my life, I have been drawn to two seemingly differing life interests:

1) High Fidelity Electronics and Listening to MUSIC

2) Health, Fitness, Exercise and Strength Training.

Actually while VERY different, they both combine well to fill my active and inactive needs and preferences.

In fact, they are not only my life's interests, but my vocations.  Imagine "actually liking" what you do for a living.

But, I am writing this post to maybe draw a little attention to the physically ACTIVE part of life rather than the physically INACTIVE.  Audio and Videophiles I have met "tend" to be a little less active, older, and maybe slightly rotund.

While helping people like that improve their Health and Fitness Levels is my job, this is not actually a solicitation for anything, but MORE a call out or motivation to take a look at yourself in the mirror and ask the question; DO YOU LIKE THE SHAPE YOU'RE IN?

Many of us are Baby Boomers and have passed the big 40, or 50, or even 60!  Quality of life and health is (or should be) of significant concern.  I am many times surprised at how easily some of my clients will spend a few Thousand $$ on a single component or speaker, yet have a tough time with $900 for in item of GYM or Strength Training gear.

While I am not here to preach values, I would certainly suggest that anyone reading take stock in their health, fitness and personal appearance and take the best care of themselves that they can.  (Did you know that one of the causes of tinnitus is High Blood Pressure?)

This includes a regular program of exercise, a healthy nutritious diet, and high quality rest (that is where a good sound system can be valuable)

Many if not most of us are Males over 40 and PRIME CANDIDATES for what is called "metabolic syndrome".  This is a serious threat to our health, and longevity it not addressed.  The causes are multi-factorial as are the ways to address it.  If left to our natural tendencies, we will do EXACTLY the wrong thing.  We will rest more and eat more, while telling ourselves we are in our golden years.

I would implore you to re-visit your commitment to yourself and begin exploring the joys of keeping yourself in better shape.  You actually can make a signifcant improvement.

While I am available on a professional basis for anyone interested, I have also started a BLOG (which is for all my TeleTRAINING clients) that I would like to offer to anyone who is interested.  The Blog is simply information, education and motivation I seek out to help me help my clients.

Whether you use me or my services or not, is not relevant.  But, you might find the information helpful to your life.  Also if you have questions about the relevance of the items on the blog or how they might relate to you, please feel free to ask.

Look here:   http://bioforceteletraining.wordpress.com/

K Shep

Re: DO YOU LIKE THE SHAPE YOU'RE IN?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:01 pm »
This is a very touchy subject.  I'm not going to be the first one to answer the question but I wanted to let you know I read the post  :wink:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:09 pm »
Actually, I do like the shape I'm in.  I do aerobic exercise daily and eat a moderate, low carb and low saturated fat diet.  I just started doing sprint type "burst" training which is really improving my shape, and I have lost 30 lbs and got down to my ideal BMI bodyweight at 160 and 5'10".  Not bad for a guy approaching 40 and that had a massive heart attack 4 years ago :D

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:11 pm »
YES!!! So does my wife. That takes care of all the voting members.

Bigfish

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:12 pm »
Heck no but I have learned to live with myself!

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:24 pm »
Actually, I do like the shape I'm in.  I do aerobic exercise daily and eat a moderate, low carb and low saturated fat diet.  I just started doing sprint type "burst" training which is really improving my shape, and I have lost 30 lbs and got down to my ideal BMI bodyweight at 160 and 5'10".  Not bad for a guy approaching 40 and that had a massive heart attack 4 years ago :D

Hi Tyson,

Really glad to hear that, since we talked a few years ago about that.

You may be a good example of what i was talking about.

No doubt you have read up on metabolic syndrome and understand it.

The problem for many is it is too difficult to understand the complex way the genetically programmed body changes manifest themselves into Fitness and Health issues.  It is also difficult to know just what is an appropriate level of response and what one could expect.

Diet, hormones, activity, aches and pains, are all inter-related.

Not talking about some "macho man" training and Gypsy Boots diet, but too many let it slide a bit too far. 

You know you got a very intense "wake up call" and I am glad you took action.  And I am sure you are too. :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:32 pm »
Yes indeed.  The thing I find fascinating is that many of the different fields in medicine concerning long term, degenerative diseases (such as heart disease, diabetes, strokes, arthritis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's, cancer, even infertility in women) are now starting to converge on a few common metabolic problems.  If you read the literature, you'll see that diet, exercise and other lifestyle choices have way more effect on your likelihood to come down with one of these than "genetics", or even drug therapies.  In other words, our well-being is very much within our direct control.  Just got to make the right choices (like stop eating anything with sugar in it and stop eating all wheat/flour/bread/cereal/baked-goods/pasta/rice/potatoes). 

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:44 pm »
Yes indeed.  The thing I find fascinating is that many of the different fields in medicine concerning long term, degenerative diseases (such as heart disease, diabetes, strokes, arthritis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's, cancer, even infertility in women) are now starting to converge on a few common metabolic problems.  If you read the literature, you'll see that diet, exercise and other lifestyle choices have way more effect on your likelihood to come down with one of these than "genetics", or even drug therapies.  In other words, our well-being is very much within our direct control.  Just got to make the right choices (like stop eating anything with sugar in it and stop eating all wheat/flour/bread/cereal/baked-goods/pasta/rice/potatoes).

Interestingly enough the very term "degenerative diseases" somehow lulls some into thinking "inevitable diseases".

Degenerative simply means you either "allowed" or "caused" something to degenerate until it became a disease.

While some can tolerate wheat and gluten products quite well, they certainly should be "reduced" for most and "eliminated" for others.

The bodily responses range from "allergic" to simply hyperinsulinzation depending on the intake.

The complexities of and interaction of the endogenous hormones is VERY interesting and can hold the key to explaining many of these maladies.

Hormonal responses, immune responses, genetic time clocks, and the like are beyond interesting in understanding some of the problems we encounter when we age.  Even the bulk of the medical community may not have connected the dots that well since, much of the income is derived from "pharmaceutical" solutions rather than longer term practices.

Maybe that is to be expected, but it would be nice if you could trust a physician (or all physicians) to be more comprehensive in their "practice".

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2010, 01:58 am »
Yes - I'm in much better shape than I was 20 years ago in my 20's. 

Confirmed by blood test(s) and doctors, now :thumb:

My health was crap from the beginning of my days on earth (bad genetics), but thru continued effort I have reached a place of very good health, overall.

I'm 5'9"/158 lbs on a heavy day...but, you want me on your team if you are choosing an over-30 basketball team :wink: 

I subscribe to the Genotype Diet popularized by (Naturopath) Dr. Peter D'Adamo.  4 servings daily of 'live' foods and 3 servings of fruits appropriate for me, along with recommended weekly portions of meat, nuts, oils, drinks, etc have given me energy the likes of which I only dreamed of 20 years ago. 

http://www.genotypediet.com/index.shtml

I am a Genotype 'Teacher'

John

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2010, 02:02 am »
Thanks, I was debating with myself whether or not I should do my exercises for the day. I'll be back in a few, a bit sweatier!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2010, 02:12 am »
I'm nearing my 63rd birthday and you don't want me on your basketball team. I'm 5'5" and about 145 lbs., probably between 5 and 10 lbs. above ideal. And I have a blind eye. The last time I saw a doctor I asked point blank if he thought I was overweight and he laughed and said no. I do see an acupuncturist every month or so. He's told me to lay off grains and eat more protein and vegetables. No fruit other than berries. Allergic to olive oil, of all things. Avoid carbs in general for now.
I ride my bike and balance my checkbook for exercise. I'm not unhappy with my condition other than cursing my dietary restrictions.
Anytime I think about seeing an M.D. I ask myself if I need to be cut or drugged - and then I look for an alternative. There are surely a lot of good doctors but they are forced to co-operate with a corrupt profit-driven system.

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2010, 02:17 am »
Yes - I'm in much better shape than I was 20 years ago in my 20's. 

Confirmed by blood test(s) and doctors, now :thumb:

My health was crap from the beginning of my days on earth (bad genetics), but thru continued effort I have reached a place of very good health, overall.

I'm 5'9"/158 lbs on a heavy day...but, you want me on your team if you are choosing an over-30 basketball team :wink: 

I subscribe to the Genotype Diet popularized by (Naturopath) Dr. Peter D'Adamo.  4 servings daily of 'live' foods and 3 servings of fruits appropriate for me, along with recommended weekly portions of meat, nuts, oils, drinks, etc have given me energy the likes of which I only dreamed of 20 years ago. 

http://www.genotypediet.com/index.shtml

I am a Genotype 'Teacher'

John

Hey John,

I was quite interested in D'Adamo about 10 or so years ago, and found his assertions VERY capable, even though much of the medical establishment has not followed in his lead.

Diet needs and aversions due to a evolved blood type is a pretty incredible theory.

In today's world with all the exposure to so many ingredients in various foods as well as the processing and refining it is certainly difficult to grasp just what a job our bodies have in digesting, assimilating and using various nutrients and compounds.

Quite often there are TOO MANY "band wagons" to jump on, and the good ones get lost in the "bandwagon" traffic.

I think Dr D'Adamo has something and would like to see it move a little more mainstream with some more serious support.

His work seems to go a long way at helping understand "food allergies", and why they only seem to affect a certain portion of the population.

Part of the problem however in his getting a larger base, might be that with the advent of global travel means we have a greater genetic blending, and while this may not change the blood TYPE, it does blend the genes that supported some of the regional basis for the sensitivities and proclivities.

And let me encourage you a bit.  I was in the absolute best shape of my adult life at 49-51 years of age.  So carry on with your training, and if you are not currently employing strength training, it has an equal if not greater importance as you round 40, and 50.

Nike says JUST DO IT.

I say DO IT NOW!!! and Keep DOIN IT

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2010, 02:20 am »
Whew, I did it and I do feel better.  :weights:

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2010, 02:21 am »
Actually, the ApoE allele goes farther toward explaining dietary variance than blood type does, at least based on what I've seen...

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jun 2010, 02:27 am »
Actually, the ApoE allele goes farther toward explaining dietary variance than blood type does, at least based on what I've seen...

For anyone interested here is a small abstract regarding the ApoE allele and CAD and AD (Coronary Artery Disease and Alzheimers Disease)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10738542

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2010, 02:31 am »
Whew, I did it and I do feel better.  :weights:

Well if we have accomplished nothing else, we stimulated at least "one" good workout today.

Just finished mine too.  Whewww!

Good thing about being a Geezer and strength training is instead of trying to set new Lifetime records, you are doing well just to be able to not LOSE strength and ability.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2010, 02:40 am »
Hey John,

I was quite interested in D'Adamo about 10 or so years ago, and found his assertions VERY capable, even though much of the medical establishment has not followed in his lead.

Diet needs and aversions due to a evolved blood type is a pretty incredible theory.

In today's world with all the exposure to so many ingredients in various foods as well as the processing and refining it is certainly difficult to grasp just what a job our bodies have in digesting, assimilating and using various nutrients and compounds.

Quite often there are TOO MANY "band wagons" to jump on, and the good ones get lost in the "bandwagon" traffic.

I think Dr D'Adamo has something and would like to see it move a little more mainstream with some more serious support.

His work seems to go a long way at helping understand "food allergies", and why they only seem to affect a certain portion of the population.

Part of the problem however in his getting a larger base, might be that with the advent of global travel means we have a greater genetic blending, and while this may not change the blood TYPE, it does blend the genes that supported some of the regional basis for the sensitivities and proclivities.

And let me encourage you a bit.  I was in the absolute best shape of my adult life at 49-51 years of age.  So carry on with your training, and if you are not currently employing strength training, it has an equal if not greater importance as you round 40, and 50.

Nike says JUST DO IT.

I say DO IT NOW!!! and Keep DOIN IT

John,

Dr. D has smartly moved beyond simply blood type, rh factor and secretor status to cast folks.  He has clearly divided everybody to 6 Genotypes.

Blood type, rh factor, and secretor status still have their place to determining genotype...but other matters such as leg length relative to body, lower to upper leg lengths, ring to index finger lengths, specific teeth formations, sinew or lack thereof and several other matters factor into your specific Genotype.

While I cursed him for doing so after following his blood type regimen for years....it was never spot on.  His Genotype recommendations, for me, have been terrific since adopting them several months ago.

I do yoga, 5 Tibetan Movements (everyone should incorporate these into 10 minutes every day - see below) and push ups and crunches each day.  This is sufficient for me as a Teacher, along with hiking and basketball, to keep me trim and quite happy.  Other genotypes may benefit more substantially from heavy lifting and or more intense exercised (Hunter and Gatherer Genotypes, in particular)

http://www.lifeevents.org/5-tibetans-energy-rejuvenation-exercises.htm

John (numerically age 47; feel better than I did at 30)

Stu Pitt

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jun 2010, 02:57 am »
Nutrition is probably the most important thing in everyday life, and is also most likely the least understood.   The USDA, CDC, etc need to do a better job than they've been doing.  Food and beverage labels and claims are so absurd it's not funny.  The term "All Natural" is probably the most misleading thing there is.  Organic, free-range, etc aren't very far behind.  Someone needs to regulate what these companies are allowed to claim.

NYC and Westchester County NY are taking steps in the right direction regarding nutrition IMO.  They're requiring all chain restaurants to put caloric values on menus.  Ever been to the Outback?   Holy Crap!!!   Ever wonder how many calories are in a piece of cheesecake at the Cheesecake factory?   One or two have over 1000. 

The most overlooked thing is beverages.  I read somewhere that 80% of drinks in stores have high fructose corn syrup.  I think a lot of people think Sunny Delight is a healthy drink because it looks and kind of tastes like orange juice.  It's really no better than soda.  Gatorade, Powerade, et al are basically non-carbonated and non-caffinated soda.  Some of those sports drinks have more sugar than soda. 

Unless you're working out strenously for over an hour straight, when consumed, sugar almost instantly turns into fat - not just on your gut, but also in your liver.  It makes your body less sensitive to insulin (diabetes), and can block hormones that regulate how quickly calories are burned - Leptin. 

Sugar can be good in moderation and in naturally occuring forms like in fruits.  There's nothng wrong with eating a few apples or oranges. 

Interestingly enough, the nation's obesity rate and the sales of sugary drinks have risen almost identically.

Not sugar/soda is the only reason for the obesity problems, but it's a major player IMO.   

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jun 2010, 03:04 am »
Looks like I might need to "catch up" on the good Dr's current work.  As I said I read his first two books and not much since.

The "strength training" (and that doesn't mean you must turn into a weight lifter) is valuable for reducing the inevitable onset of sarcopenia and osteoporosis, and arthritis.

The problem is conventional strength training is NOT exactly sufficient.  It needs to be more focused on addressing these areas.  The methods and techniques are important, not just lifting weights like generally perceived.

There are ways to address some of those needs, but "topping off the tank" on a regular basis is a wise strategy on this one.  Once the negative events occur they are difficult to impossible to reverse. :?

John,

Dr. D has smartly moved beyond simply blood type, rh factor and secretor status to cast folks.  He has clearly divided everybody to 6 Genotypes.

Blood type, rh factor, and secretor status still have their place to determining genotype...but other matters such as leg length relative to body, lower to upper leg lengths, ring to index finger lengths, specific teeth formations, sinew or lack thereof and several other matters factor into your specific Genotype.

While I cursed him for doing so after following his blood type regimen for years....it was never spot on.  His Genotype recommendations, for me, have been terrific since adopting them several months ago.

I do yoga, 5 Tibetan Movements (everyone should incorporate these into 10 minutes every day - see below) and push ups and crunches each day.  This is sufficient for me as a Teacher, along with hiking and basketball, to keep me trim and quite happy.  Other genotypes may benefit more substantially from heavy lifting and or more intense exercised (Hunter and Gatherer Genotypes, in particular)

http://www.lifeevents.org/5-tibetans-energy-rejuvenation-exercises.htm

John (numerically age 47; feel better than I did at 30)

coke

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jun 2010, 03:24 am »
A good friend of mine and I were really in to strength training.   Mostly 5x5 type programs with free weights.  My freshman year in college, I ran all the time and was really weak.  I also only weighed around 150 at 5'11.

I started lifting my 2nd year in school, and by then end I was up to around 215.   My bench had gone up to 315+, my squat was 430+, and my deadlift was 525.

Earlier this year though I ran into a series of medical problems.  In about 3 months I lost 35 pounds, most of which was muscle.  I'm in the worst shape I've been in that I can ever remember. 

I'm finally starting to become healthy enough for exercise again, and hope to start back again this week.  We'll still do strength training, but we are going to shift some of focus to cardio for more of a well rounded conditioning.

Here's some old lifting vids I made if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJySb1h_SI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAwGjJXiVQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msakSyzw09Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etXz0RBwzAs