stlrman

Trike riders?
« on: 27 May 2013, 09:14 pm »
Anybody ride a trike? The wife wants one
Thanks!

cremar

Re: Trike riders?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2013, 11:04 pm »
I just traded in my 2 road bikes on a Catrike 700.  Won't have it for a couple of weeks yet but it was a blast riding the demos in the bike shop parking lot.  As I get older, the discomfort from riding a road bike is only going to get worse, so I made the move to a trike.

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2013, 11:23 pm »
I am still on two wheels but they are bent most of the time.  Most fun on a bike I have had since I was a kid. Now I ride until I get tired not until my shoulder hurts so much it is time to quit.

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2013, 01:04 pm »
Thanks guys! It looks like we are going to road trip to NY or Penn State so she can rest ride a few different brands. I am thinking that we want something foldable as the wife has a compact Subaru .
Any advice is welcome.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2013, 03:01 pm »
All the trikes I see are overweight blobs, or way too cheap junk.
I would like to see a genuine quality road bike level tricycle. Something that will glide down the road the way a good road bike can.. Just with three wheels!

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2013, 03:08 pm »
Elizabeth,  Are you talking about upright delivery-type trikes?  Here is one Catrike model.
Yes it weighs more than a road bike but it ain't cheap and it is designed to be fast.  My big complaints about bent trikes is I can't get out of them. In the low, prone position I can't get my legs under me to stand up. Makes me feel really old.

All the trikes I see are overweight blobs, or way too cheap junk.
I would like to see a genuine quality road bike level tricycle. Something that will glide down the road the way a good road bike can.. Just with three wheels!

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2013, 03:11 pm »
Catrike 700

I just traded in my 2 road bikes on a Catrike 700.  Won't have it for a couple of weeks yet but it was a blast riding the demos in the bike shop parking lot.  As I get older, the discomfort from riding a road bike is only going to get worse, so I made the move to a trike.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2013, 03:28 pm »
Those recumbent are cool but way to dangerous from the old farts/fartess' driving cars who can't see!! (also all the 20 somethings texting...!!)
I am afraid to ride my road bike for fear of being crushed by an SUV driver who does not even feel the bump of killing me.

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2013, 03:38 pm »
I agree.  I stopped riding on the road.  Fortunately I have close access to a beautiful, 32-mile long, green-belt bike trail. In addition to being safe it provides a social connection via picnic areas and rest areas with running water (flush toilets) where people hang out for a while and visit.

Those recumbent are cool but way to dangerous from the old farts/fartess' driving cars who can't see!! (also all the 20 somethings texting...!!)
I am afraid to ride my road bike for fear of being crushed by an SUV driver who does not even feel the bump of killing me.

stlrman

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2013, 09:02 pm »
Thanks again folks! All riding will be on trails and not on streets.
I may venture on to some roads at some point. It seems like a tall flag waving should help with drivers seeing you. And I would stay on streets that have bike lanes.
The wife has balance issues so two wheels are out.
How is the under seat steering? I heard it can be twitchy.is your model foldable? Would my strong wife be able to heave this in her Subaru.its a small imprezza. I was hoping with the seats down she can squeeze it in. Of course we will try it .
Ever try the Sun models?
Thanks,
Todd

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2013, 09:43 pm »
Todd,

This my favorite ride. It fit in the back of my older, smaller Subaru wagon.  Now I load it into my Toyota Highlander. It is heavy and awkward to lift but easy to load the way I do it. Maybe your wife could use a similar method.

I position the back of the bike at the rear of the vehicle and just lift the back in leaving the front wheel on the ground.  Then I lift the front and push the bike in place. I simply reverse the procedure to unload.  On a trike you may have to put the front in first to have enough room. I do not recommend trying to lift the entire bike at once.

There is no lip on the Highlander with the rear open.  I am not sure if your Imprezza has a lip that might get in the way of the frame or chain.

FYI, my other bike is a titanium Merlin with all Campy Record but I prefer the bent for my aching bones.

[/img]

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2014, 12:32 am »
Here's how to do a trike, use a custom bike builder:

This one isn't set up for folding.