What's left to eat?

wushuliu

Re: What's left to eat?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2013, 08:49 pm »
Tyson,

So why are Asians not typically obese when they have been eating rice for centuries?

*groan*

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 18 Mar 2013, 09:00 pm »
*groan*

Also historically speaking Asians predominate choice of rice only reaches so far back. At one point the rich ate rice, and the poor didn't really get their hands on it. I can't remember exact dates, someone else here might have a better idea.

decal

« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2013, 09:59 pm »
Eat less, move more.

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:42 pm »
Eat less, move more.

I use to do more of that. But I exercised and ate at a ratio I should of been really thin. NEVER happened. No calorie calculator could explain how I wasn't losing 10lbs a week, because my calorie deficit would be at least that. But I also tried exercising more, eating more. Nothing happened.

Now understanding more about myself from Dr. D'Adamo, it explains why easier exercising and eating a certain way has always been more successful, why I've never been good at getting better at sports (but never that bad to begin with). I thought more was better, but was wrong.

2bigears

« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2013, 11:07 pm »
 :D  lots actually,,,, stay away as much as possible from ' factory-to-table ' and try for
       more plants fresh local grown
         less meats , prepared meats are really not that great
          mix it up with as much variety as you can
            berries and nuts ,,(ever see a fat bird)
           stay under daily calorie counts
            be heart smart with a little movement,, the body and mind craves motion ....
                  Walking is GREAT !!!!      :D
           Simple,right ??
                                         does drinking wine make you fat ??  i like wine .... :scratch:

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 18 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm »
:D  lots actually,,,, stay away as much as possible from ' factory-to-table ' and try for
       more plants fresh local grown
         less meats , prepared meats are really not that great
          mix it up with as much variety as you can
            berries and nuts ,,(ever see a fat bird)
           stay under daily calorie counts
            be heart smart with a little movement,, the body and mind craves motion ....
                  Walking is GREAT !!!!      :D
           Simple,right ??
                                         does drinking wine make you fat ??  i like wine .... :scratch:

Wine doesn't appear to contribute to calories.

Complication, if your a person prone to liver issues it could drag down your metabolism depending on how detoxed you stay otherwise.

Some people need to express more adrenaline in order to keep dopamine level as well, hence more than walking. BT O in general. Although it seems impossible to get some of them started on exercising at a high level, others can't live without it.

2bigears

« Reply #26 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:01 am »
 :D   BIG BIG TOPIC here for sure.. i was talking in general of course.. health conditions make for hard luck.. sometimes i think people eat for comfort ,, which adds .. sometimes they eat for speed of delivery ,, sometimes to treat themselves they eat way too much of a bad to very bad almost deathly bad meal to justify. TELL US why we need to eat quad-triple bacon burgers washed down with a 42 oz soda.. Good Lord we are all going mad ..
         obesity and diabetes really are tending to go hand in hand .. both can be put to a lousy diet too ..
            it's like kids getting married these days with soul intention that if trouble comes ,, a divorce is very easy
               ____ to that if we eat ourselves sick,we can ' heal with steel ' as in open heart surgery....
     the good side,, i think we are all learning and i hope things turn around .. :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #27 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:36 am »
Tyson,

So why are Asians not typically obese when they have been eating rice for centuries?

Because glucose is not a problem for humans (IMO), so there are plenty of starches that are mainly glucose that are just fine for us - sweet potatoes, rice, bananas, carrots, etc...  It's the cereal type grains which have protein structures such as gluten and glaidin and agglutinates that are toxic.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #28 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:40 am »

I would just like to point out  that we are not all made alike.  I would suspect that each person needs to find what works best for them.  Just for example: I am 50 years old and still wear the same size pants I wore when I was 18.  I am 5'11' and weigh 160 and that is the highest weight of my life. The only way I have been able to gain a few pounds is to go to an all inclusive resort and stuff myself like a pig for a week without doing anything.  Maybe I'll gain 2 pounds which I promptly shed when I go back to work.     

2bigears

« Reply #29 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:56 am »
 :D  gained 2 pounds ,, very funny..... :D  your 1 of the lucky ones .... :lol:

JakeJ

« Reply #30 on: 19 Mar 2013, 01:00 am »
My apologies if I have offended any of our Asian membership.  Question withdrawn, although too late.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #31 on: 19 Mar 2013, 01:06 am »
I like this guys take on the question:
"What we can say is this: No diet, ever, in the history of the world, has been higher in sugar and processed carbohydrate junk foods than the one that most people in America consume on a daily basis.

My own personal opinion is you could design a dozen diet studies showing the superiority of a dozen different diets (from Atkins to Ornish to the Zone) as long as you compare each of them to the crap we're eating now"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jonny-bowden/mediterranean-diet_b_2791889.html

Doublej

« Reply #32 on: 31 Mar 2013, 12:25 pm »
Thanks everyone. I am going to look into the Genotype diet.

Folsom

« Reply #33 on: 31 Mar 2013, 04:39 pm »
If you have any questions or need help with identifying yourself let me know. I'm always glad to help newcomers (and I'm always working on training myself to identify people by sight).

:thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #34 on: 31 Mar 2013, 04:48 pm »
If you have any questions or need help with identifying yourself let me know. I'm always glad to help newcomers (and I'm always working on training myself to identify people by sight).

:thumb:

Thanks. I am only a few hours away from Dr. D'Adamo's new center in Bridgeport, CT so I am going to call them to find out fees, etc.

http://www.generativemedicine.org/

TheChairGuy

« Reply #35 on: 31 Mar 2013, 05:11 pm »
Trying to provide a blueprint of sorts....it's best to think of what and how people at 100 years ago in the US - and emulate that.

Locally grown, organic foods (note ALL food back then qualified as organic sad to note) with modest helpings of meat (as it was pricey for the average wage earner).  Desserts were few - and generally not doused with sugar and corn syrup hadn't been invented yet.  Of course, no packaged foods before the advent of Nabisco, Kraft, etc.

It's pretty much the right diet for everyone with modifications based on how you feel on it (listen to your body - it generally tells you what you need to hear). 

What's been added to our diets the past 100 years have been convenience of ways of adding extreme levels of flavor enhancements.....not in any way a path to enhanced health.

Folsom

« Reply #36 on: 1 Apr 2013, 04:49 am »
Thanks. I am only a few hours away from Dr. D'Adamo's new center in Bridgeport, CT so I am going to call them to find out fees, etc.

http://www.generativemedicine.org/

Lucky.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #37 on: 18 Apr 2013, 12:23 am »
I put on 20 pounds thanks to my wife's cooking (and my gluttony) so I went on the no flour, no sugar, no artificial sweeteners diet.
I don't drink alcohol or soda or eat red meat so no booze, soda and burgers was easy.
It took about a month but I'm a week away from dropping the full 20 pounds, I still eat like a pig and feel much better.
Lots of greens and other vegetables, fish, fruits, nuts, yogurt, coffee, you name it - as long as it doesn't contain sugar or flour it's fair game.
It works for me.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #38 on: 18 Apr 2013, 12:39 am »
Eat less, move more.

Great advice!

I started exercising regularly and watching what I eat.  No magic bullet here.   :cry:

On the exercise front I started out walking and biking.  As my fitness level went up and the pounds down, I added into the mix running and swimming.  In fact, I am now just six weeks away for from my first triathlon!   :weights:

Putting everything I eat into LoseIt (a free online/smartphone app) really helped me get a handle on my food consumption - from a total calorie and nutrient breakdown.  I still don't eat the greatest as I feel exercising 5-6 days a week requires some level of food "reward", but it is a huge difference from before.  Besides cutting back on the high calorie stuff, I did eliminate soda and reduced my alcohol content.  Both were surprisingly easy to do, but I am starting to have a little alcohol once in a while.

As for the results... 

I have now lost 40 lbs, dropped six inches on my waist and feel the best I have felt in 12+ years.  I still want to lose 10-15 more pounds and maybe a few more inches on the waist, but I know it will eventually happen.

Nine months into my lifestyle change, I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. 

As Nike said a long time ago...JUST DO IT!!!

George

cujobob

« Reply #39 on: 18 Apr 2013, 01:50 am »
I've heard from my Vietnamese friend attending med school that asian people have a special enzyme that allows them to better break down rice better (in some way). It stands to reason that our bodies, given enough time, will adapt to most any change of that sort (diet, climate, etc.). The appearances of the people on each continent are evidence of such. One of these days I'll find time to google up on the subject and do my own research because that would be pretty interesting.

Congrats on your success George!

Right now I'm taking ON protein shakes daily and testing the benefits when nothing else in my diet changes. Still too early to say for sure how much effect it's having over the sporadic use from taking just after workouts.