Audible Illusions M3A tube longevity

henrylr

Audible Illusions M3A tube longevity
« on: 15 Dec 2021, 08:28 pm »
I've read the warnings about Audilbe Illusions preamps being very hard on tubes. I've also read that the M3A had significant changes. Is the M3A easier on tubes such that other brands can have longevity similar to the Sovtek, Russian 6H23N & 6N1P, 7DJ8 and E288Cc?

Thanks

VinceT

Re: Audible Illusions M3A tube longevity
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2021, 08:35 pm »
I just picked up a AI 3A and it really has made a huge difference and really made a big improvement in my system. I heard it does go through tubes a little faster depending on which ones you get but IMHO so be it. I would be interestred to hear others input as well.

owlsalum1

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2021, 09:17 pm »
I've owned the L3B. AI ships nowadays with the 6H23 because it has a justified reputation for being a tough tube. When I had my L3B I didn't worry one iota about tube life. I just used it and enjoyed it with the understanding when my ears told me the tubes needed replacement I'd do so. Find the compatible tube type that sounds best to you, buy a backup pair (or quad) and be happy. :-)

Bob Stark

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2021, 10:58 pm »
From 1989-2012, I had either an Audible Illusions 2D or a 3A w/ JC phono in my system depending on which cartridge I used.  Go with the matched set AI sells to replace them with.  They last the longest and sound the best.  Trying to roll tubes with these preamps is NOT a good idea. Buying from other tube sources is bad news.  Both preamps were very dependable with their tubes and was the mainstay of my system.  Only replaced the AI preamps with a really good TRL DUDE and Whest phono preamp after much experimentation.

Bob