Black Cat Cables

G E

Black Cat Cables
« on: 24 Aug 2019, 12:42 am »
I recently replaced my Morrow PH-7 phono cable - one of their higher end products - because I was concerned about its excessive capacitance. It didn’t sound bad but I wondered what I was missing.

Long story short, I was put in touch with proprietor of Black Cat Cable and I decided to get his phono cable.

Wow!  Impressive!  He talks a lot about achieving effortlessness of sound. You will know it when you hear it.

This small experiment has caused me to order an IC from Hagerman Trumpet to Bel Canto.

If this yields similar improvement, I’ll replace the rest of the loom.

I’ve chatted with him several times and I like his approach to music and business.

https://www.blackcatcable.com/

jriggy

Re: Black Cat Cables
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2019, 05:30 pm »
So what model line did you order?

G E

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2019, 06:11 pm »
So what model line did you order?

3202 phono and 3202 ic

I’d love to try his Triode series but I’m in the wrong income bracket. Never mind considering his products in third tier

brj

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2019, 08:15 pm »
I've read about Chris's cables quite a few times over the years, and certainly every review I've seen was positive.  I still have a Stereovox digital BNC cable stored against possible future need.  I didn't realize that he was the designer of the Xhadow line of connectors (made by Vampire Wire), however.  I have a couple of Xhadow equipped XLR cables and like them, though I'd prefer that they'd implement the retention mechanism usually found on the female connectors.  Interesting that he doesn't use them on his current ICs, however.... looks like he prefers the Oyaide Focus-1 XLRs at the top of his lineup, and the Neutriks below that.  Looks like the "Lovecraft" RCA connector used in his top single ended cables might be another of his personal designs.

G E

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2019, 12:27 am »
I’ll report on developments.

What I heard last night was highly encouraging.

I do know we are very lucky to be owners if VMPS speakers. Or smart..

G E

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2019, 11:29 pm »
Ordered his 3232 speaker cables today. Replacing Morrow Elite Grand Reference. Buddy and fellow hifi  nut was incredulous. He thought the Morrows did a good job. They did.

Listening to the 3202 phono and IC on either side of my phono preamp convinced me to go further.

I came within a RCH of ordering his Triode speaker cables but that little voice of rationality popped up and said. “Not yet”. I hate it when that happens.

One more link to replace and all will be black cat.

Anyone need a 20 foot run of xlr terminated ICs?

G E

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2019, 09:58 pm »
Yeah, these Black Cat wires are special.  With more playing time their qualities are on full display.  There is a radiance to the music that wasn't there with the Morrow loom.  They sure break in a lot faster than Morrows.  I'll put them on the cooker next week.  Chris thought I'd enjoy hearing the transition as they broke in and I have.  Now I want to maximize.

More detail but not tilted up on the high end like so many silver cables.  These are copper.

Brass and woodwinds are especially beguiling. Also hearing lots of cymbal detail that wasn't expressed before.

G E

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2020, 06:22 pm »
Last run of black cat in house and burning in. They were on the Hagerman cable cooker past 5 days. 16 foot xlr from bel canto to Bryston 28’s

I also have a new Grado Reference cart just installed. I’ve only put 8 hours on it so far.

I have already noted a deeper and more solid bass and lower midrange.

High end detail is nuanced rather than crisp. Nice.

Still messing around with vTA and tracking force.

The Grado rep runs his at 1.65 tail slightly up. That’s where I’m starting.

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2020, 11:10 pm »
Wires are wires, you are imaging the differences.....IMHO and in the opinion of every measurement ever made by a competent measurer.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2020, 10:40 pm »
Congrats, sounds like you are happy. $899 for a meter pair, whew.  I thought I was nuts for buying all that Kimber KCAG silver interconnects back in the 90's. Still use it and still happy; not chasing the dragon on interconnects.   

G E

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2020, 10:54 pm »
Congrats, sounds like you are happy. $899 for a meter pair, whew.  I thought I was nuts for buying all that Kimber KCAG silver interconnects back in the 90's. Still use it and still happy; not chasing the dragon on interconnects.

The $899 pair have some different connectors ... I went with the standard ones for $699. The last run was 16 feet so it was more of course and I used xlr connections there. But I was able to use short speaker cables.

I listened to a Sinatra Ellington collaboration last week. Lots of nice touches to the sound- finger snaps were well rendered yet delicate and full bodied.  Cart still breaking in as are cables so it will be a good journey

I friend brought over his spare pair of kimber kcag a few months ago. They are pretty nice but I didn’t have a place for them. Too bad he only wanted $240. One was missing the tightening barrel though. 

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2020, 05:26 pm »
Another Audio myth things don't break in/burn in especially wires.....No one has ever measured any differences do to "burn in".

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/danny-richie-audio-myths-on-%E2%80%9Celectrical-burn-in%E2%80%9D.10902/

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2020, 07:25 pm »
If you think cables make a difference read this thread....they sent an audio signal thru a banana and a potato and people cant hear any difference !

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/236248-fancy-interconnects-potato-mud-10.html

Stimpy

« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2020, 11:23 pm »
Personally, I've found differences between interconnects slight at best.  Maybe I need to try better?

However, I've heard easily discernable changes when upgrading speaker cables.  Not subtle.  So much so, I'm still using 15 year old Kimber Kable 8TC.  It's not going anywhere!   :D